Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old December 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Harrassed By Liberal Campaign Worker!

Im going to try and post this in small bits cause Ive posted it or tried three times and it keeps logging me off. Today while taking Rocky out for his pee, on our property a group of women walked by and one said "ooh look at that Scary a$$ed looking dog. I made a comment back about him only looking scary cause he was wearing a muzzle. It turned out these people were liberal campaign workers! Later they knocked at my door, I hadn't figured it out yet because only two of them came and the one that had insulted Rocky wasn't there.

Last edited by babyrocky1; December 21st, 2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

part 2

when I answered the door I went out in the hall to talk to them because Rocky was barking, they asked me if I had EVER voted Liberal, I said no, and I wont be this time either, however, I belong to a national orgaization , the DLCC, and we are concerned about BSL, if you would like to get a statement from the candidate regarding this matter I will be happy to pass it on, they are a non-partsion organization. They siad they would have someone get back to me, this is a pat answer, its what I was always told to say if I didn't know were the party stood. Anyways after I shut the door...DUH! I realise that they were with the woman who had insulted me, I went back out into the hall and said, just a minute,,, wasnt' it one of you who just insulted my dog, One of them from down the hall says yeah that was me, hes a pit bull isn't he, I said yes he is and its ignorant comments like yours that perpetuate negative stereo types that make it possible for YOUR party to exploit innocent animals and eventually MURDER them, she was saying things like "give me a br eak then the other one said shes entitled to her opinion.
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

part three

she meaning the canvasser, I said you might be if you werent on my property, knocking at my door and Harrasing me! If you have such a problem with my dog get the he!! out of the building! By this time theres a screaming match going on and one of them talks the other into apologising but by that I mean an arrogant as heck...SORRY! obviously having a shouting match with a constituant isn't what the politicians usually have in mind, There was more to the argument but I cant remember it all, also this is the THIRD time Ive typed this...it kept logging me off. Anyways I thought I would capitialize on my anger so I called the campaign office and told them off. They appologised for the canvassers attitude, and re BSL told me that the federal fibs and the provincial fibs have entirely independent sets of policiys. Thats what they always say, sometimes I believe it, however, I mentioned that a federal cab minister once said that Candadians dont need dogs that weight over forty lbs. and that the provincial fibs never mentioned anything about bsl before they were elected eithier, sooo we would like to be proactive and have a statement from all the federal partys, apparantly theyre getting back to me, I did reinterate that I wont be voting for them but that I would happily pass on the info to the national organization. I honestly dont care if the federal fibs win, I guess I hope they do, we all know how I feel about Harper, but Tony Ianno, my riding, he is so arrogant, that canvasser was probalby a relative

Last edited by babyrocky1; December 21st, 2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM

I would welcome any Liberal campaigners into my house to see "little sharkie"
Attached Images

Old December 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM

Seriously , you did the right thing in calling the campaign office . Keep us informed on how things pan out .
I would like to see civil rights as a election issue but nobody cares enough.
Also :Isn't it wonderful how one level of government always passes things off to the other level in a way to justify inaction.

Last edited by seeker; December 21st, 2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
THIRD time Ive typed this...it kept logging me off
Maybe the Liberals have internet taps?
I would definitely complain about that. Way to win a vote there, moron.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I would definitely complain about that. Way to win a vote there, moron.
No kidding, I still can't believe that it happened, I have campaigned for at least twelve seperate elections and I have never seen anything like that, Ive had people be rude to me at the door but not THAT rude and I certainly didn't go in trying to Pick a fight geesh! Oh well Im sure the rest of the apartment dwellers on my floor got a good laugh! Makes for good amusing anecdotes at the Xmas parties. Hopefully I will get some info to pass on I also just called Olivias campaign office and they said they would get back to me as well. Geesh, Seeker your creature is way too cute for this crew LOL "scary a$$ed dog" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! If I had more time I would have followed them through the building telling everyone who answered the door what they did, Rocky is a very popular boy in my building, unfortunately I had to leave for work...Could have been an enjoyable hour though
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

BTW thanks to whoever fixed my Liveral to Liberal, I tried but couldn't delete it I was thinking of fixing the other typos but after three times...well nah! And about the fibs messsing with our site, I know that they cant do that but there was this one night were i was on the BSL forum all by myself and there was alot of political chat, very political chat, and when I looked at the bottom of the page there was me and 49 guests!!! Kind a freaked me out! LOL They were all reading a negative post about Bryant...all of them...same post ooooh spooky!
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Actually, you aren't far off. The Liberals introduced a bill to allow for warrantless monitoring of email and phone conversations etc. I think it died when the government was defeated, though.

Wow, Babyrocky. Sorry to hear you went through that.
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Loki, but after all was said and done, yelling at liberals wasn't a bad way of spending a day, somewhat theraputic even LOL (I will be reporting it to the relavent websites this week)
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:19 AM

Wow! What a situation to be in. I hate to say it, but I can only dream of being in a situation like that, (having someone, just so happens to be a Liberal campaigner that insults my dog) it would be like striking gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1
BTW thanks to whoever fixed my Liveral to Liberal, I tried but couldn't delete it I was thinking of fixing the other typos but after three times...well nah! And about the fibs messsing with our site, I know that they cant do that but there was this one night were i was on the BSL forum all by myself and there was alot of political chat, very political chat, and when I looked at the bottom of the page there was me and 49 guests!!! Kind a freaked me out! LOL They were all reading a negative post about Bryant...all of them...same post ooooh spooky!
Didn't the DLCC change their forum from public to private just for that reason?
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
BTW thanks to whoever fixed my Liveral to Liberal, I tried but couldn't delete it
Aww, I thought it was Liveral on purpose (because they make you want to drink!).
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM

I think that's just terrible. Canvassers have one job to do, that's to encourage constituents to vote for their party. They are not there to judge, harass or impede on your own life. The candidate for that riding, had it been a newbie, would likely have been very upset by this. However, since it's an incumbant who is more than likely to win, I fear that your complaint was lost as the phone call.

As for the BSL issue, I'm afraid that as much as people would like to disagree, it is in fact a provincial issue. Each level of government in Canada has its own jurisdiction. While one silly cabinet minister may have made a stupid comment, it was his own personal view, not the view of the federal government.

Out of respect and the rules, the federal government does not infringe on the provinces rights. Take public education for example. This is a provincial issue. The federal government does not have jurisdiction here...if they step in, they impose on the toes of the elected MPPs and MLAs--and in turn, force their opinion on, in some cases, a population that shares very different views (ex. some provinces have a PC government so having a Liberal federal government step on their toes could cause quite a problem).

Anyways, i'm afraid the issue lies with the provicinal government, whether we like it or not.

As for your door knockers...I'd put your complaint in writing to the president of the electoral district association. At least this way it'll be documented and a matter of record.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Scary a$$ed? I don't think it was the muzzle, then. Seems she was afraid of the other end.

Daisy has been a scary a$$ed dog for a few days now...I think it's something she ate...smells bad.

Oh, and I've been waiting for them to show up at my door, except I get home at 8 pm, so Cheryl's promised to introduce Daisy when they do. We also got a new door that's bigger than the old one. Slams real good...
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, also, I agree about the federal and liberal parties being different. I just don't like Paul Martin.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that the feds and the provincial partys can sometimes be different, however, what is to stop a federal government from deciding that Pit bulls or persion cats for that matter shouldn't be banned nationally. Many other countries have banned breeds of dogs. Theres no guarantee that it couldn't be done federally here, Before the provincial election none of us were concerned about breed bans provincially either, it was then more likely to have come from a city bilaw. I think its very unlikely to happen but I don't see why it couldn't, Bill 132 is most certainly a provincial bill so we cant fight the feds on it... I get that...but since we are insisting that the bill violates our Charter rights, well that makes it federal.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie

As for your door knockers...I'd put your complaint in writing to the president of the electoral district association. At least this way it'll be documented and a matter of record.
Thats a really good idea, I never thought of that one!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
I think that's just terrible. Canvassers have one job to do, that's to encourage constituents to vote for their party. They are not there to judge, harass or impede on your own life. The candidate for that riding, had it been a newbie, would likely have been very upset by this. However, since it's an incumbant who is more than likely to win, I fear that your complaint was lost as the phone call.

Ianno won by 800 measly votes last time...He needs to worry, however, not about our building, we are one poll and we vote over 98% for Olivia.. He has made it very clear to us that he will do nothing for us because of the way we vote,.he knows me very well so he probably enjoyed the story if anything! He has nothing to lose in our building, thats probably why these idiots were dispatched to us in the first place, sending them to somewhere were they couldn't do any harm.... I meant to point that out to them but I was too involved in explaining how I wouldn't put up with them making ignorant comments about my dog or his breed.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeaches
Wow! What a situation to be in. I hate to say it, but I can only dream of being in a situation like that, (having someone, just so happens to be a Liberal campaigner that insults my dog) it would be like striking gold

Didn't the DLCC change their forum from public to private just for that reason?
I don't know Georgiapeached, Im new to their site but it seems reasonable. I know they have warned people that it still isn't completely private. I guess thats cause they cant check out each member but you have to be invited to thier site now. You are so right about the canvassers, talk about playing into someones hands. Starting an argument with me of all people about my baby, hey when it was over I just kinda felt like ahhh thanks I needed that LOL This is how stupid they really are though, yesterday when it happened we had signs in both elevators asking for donations of blankets for Bullies in Need....they would have seen that right after they insulted Rocky...uh how many clues do they need????LOL
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I think all you guys who own pits should have this posted on your front doors...
If you are a Liberal Pain in the ass..Beware of the owner not the dog.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Bill 132 is most certainly a provincial bill so we cant fight the feds on it... I get that...but since we are insisting that the bill violates our Charter rights, well that makes it federal.
I just read a response on another site to that point, the candidate said that it was up to the courts to protect our rights under the charter, so I guess its a good thing we have a GOOD lawyer LOL
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I just read a response on another site to that point, the candidate said that it was up to the courts to protect our rights under the charter, so I guess its a good thing we have a GOOD lawyer LOL
We do have a good lawer and that is why we must support him.
Be sure to send that letter .You were obeying the law and you were being harrassed for no reason ,so bitch like h*ll. These people need to be told and hopefully your local Liberal will be told on election night.
Liberals =
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks Loki, but after all was said and done, yelling at liberals wasn't a bad way of spending a day, somewhat theraputic even LOL (I will be reporting it to the relavent websites this week)
That was my initial thought when I read this. Very theraputic!

How come I never get to let off steam like that to stupid people?? The best that I get is someone yelling out their car window at me as they are zipping by at 80kph. Somehow, yelling back at a fading car in the distance doesn't quite cut it.

Glad you let them have it! Thats harrassment, plain and simple.

Me and Kayla
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He needs to worry, however, not about our building, we are one poll and we vote over 98% for Olivia.. He has made it very clear to us that he will do nothing for us because of the way we vote,.
A similar situation happened a few years ago where someone was having some difficulty, and when they called the MPs office, they were told "Why should I help you, you didn't vote for me" and there was a HUGE brouhaha in the papers about it, and the member caught serious flack for it. I don't remember who it was, or even exactly when, but I do remember it was in Toronto. You might want to pass on something like that to the papers if you really want to see it get attention.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
A similar situation happened a few years ago where someone was having some difficulty, and when they called the MPs office, they were told "Why should I help you, you didn't vote for me" and there was a HUGE brouhaha in the papers about it, and the member caught serious flack for it. I don't remember who it was, or even exactly when, but I do remember it was in Toronto. You might want to pass on something like that to the papers if you really want to see it get attention.
Great idea .Comments like that from any member of parliament is unacceptable and the public should know all about it call the papers especially small local ones if there are any and the big ones if there are no small ones , let them all know .
Maybe you can help this guy lose a few more votes!!!!
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I just got a calll from the campaign manager about forty minutes ago! I am feeling way too sick for this, anyways...this was the most frustrating conversation Ive e ver had, as we were having three conversations at once, If I got the guys name Ive forgotten it. I think his point in calling was to tell me that the campaign workers did nothing wrong... he said the comment she made to me was NOT to me but rather a private conversation that I just overheard!!! It was intentional. Even still he said she was entitled to her opinion in a democracy, I said that insulting someone on there property is more than expressing an opinion...it is harrassment, it went back and forth like that for quite sometime until I just asked...did you just call me to start an argument? I didn't ask to talk to you BTW!!!!

Eventually we got around to Tony I annos stand on BSL...he siad that Tony doesnt support it, If it were introduced as a bill he would not suppport the bill.

The campaign managaer went on about the differences between the feds and the provincial BUT he works for both! I said that no one that sat through the four days of committeee hearings could have possibly come away with the opinion that Pit Bulls should be banned, although he did not say what his opinion was, he did say that he was there all four days, and that there was enough evidence for bill 132 that when the committee voted it was passed. Ofcourse I pointed out that the committtee was stacked with Liberals, and that I believed that they passed it only for political reasons. I said something like they lacked integrity but I cant remember what exactly....at one point when he told me that Tony was against BSL and that he had his own dog but it wasn't a pit bull, I said if its a short haired muscular dog, its a pit bull! He said oh no, the leg is very specific. thats when we agreed to end the conversation, before we started arguing again. I told him we would definately meet again in the PROVINCIAL election. We ended it on a civil note, but it was pretty nerve racking! I guess its good that we got a concrete statement, and since I am a person of my word I posted it but WOW the guy had a real attitude! My head is stilll buzzing!

Last edited by babyrocky1; December 23rd, 2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker
Great idea .Comments like that from any member of parliament is unacceptable and the public should know all about it call the papers especially small local ones if there are any and the big ones if there are no small ones , let them all know .
Maybe you can help this guy lose a few more votes!!!!
Ill talk to the other members here and find out exactly what was said but I know he didnt come right out and say that, I remeber it was close though. but implications are hard to prove. Iannos not that stupid! Also it was probably two mandates ago.
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I met the Liberal campaign organizer that phoned me, I don't know if Im allowed to put his name here or not, so I wont. I snooped around til I found out who he was and lo and behold he outright interupted me while I was talking to the Conservative guy. We grumbled at each other a bit but no big deal, I feel better knowing who he is and that he knows I know who he is. Oh he was at the all Candidates meeting for Trintiy Spadina, I was there in the hopes of getting the candidates to sign my Banned Aid petition, the one asking for a law for Courtney Trempe, no one would sign it, Ianno said he couldn't cause hes a cabinet minister, Conservative guy said he couldn't cause hes candidate but said BSL is dumb and that we should have hired him at a way cheaper rate than Ruby Im assuming hes a lawyer....anyway, I couldn't get to the Green party candidate but his campaign worker wouldn't sign cause he said pit bulls bite people He did clarify that it was his own opinion and that he didn't know were the candidate stood on the issue. Finally, i got Olivia as her handlers were literally pulling her out the door, she said she couldn't sign cause she didn't know much about the issue and because Ianno would crusifie her for getting involved "out of juristiction" its one of the things he likes to go after her on. She said she will meet with me in Feb. and suggested that I talk to Rosario who is my MPP and Peter Kormos, of course you all know Ive done that! So for my own conscience, I feel that although Olivia didn't say what I wanted to hear, she gave me an honest answer, the provincial NDP has opposed BSL and spoken eloquently on our behalf. I now feel that its time for me to volunteer in the election with Olivias campaign. I needed to talk to her about this first, for me its enough for now. BTW Im going to try and start a Trintiy Spadina large breed dog owners assosciation....if you know anyone in the area.....

Last edited by babyrocky1; January 11th, 2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

If this happaened to me, I would write to the individual's official agent - who is responsible for any workers or the person in charge of canvassing as well as the Riding President who in some cases in not all that friendly with the candidate (it happens more than you think, lol) The agent is selected by the candidate. Then I would send it to the Chief Electoral Offiocer (Jean Pierre Kingsley - check out elections.ca because what they did was illegal - small technicaility under the Elections Act but illegal is illegal) - with copies to the other parties. If you are Trinity Spadina (I scanned so I am not sure, I would send it also to Jack Layton;s campaign if you have amind to vote NDP - they can then accuse the Grits of attacking voters). Just my thought!
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Not only am I voting NDP, I will be volunteering for the campaign, I told them all about it, but they didn't know what to do, Lizzie posted a link as well which i need to folllow up on. Tony Ianno has been the incumbant for gosh eight or so yrs, at least so i imagine that the riding pres likes him but you never know. I believe the reason that he called was that he felt like bullieng, obviously no offence meant to "bullies" and I had declared myself as an NDP supporter. I do know his name now and he also works provincially for the liberals,THE ENEMEY! he told me he was at the pit bull hearings everyday, including the out of town ones, so Im now very curious as to what role he played in those hearings, I tried to google his name and pit bulls but I didn't get anything, does anyone know a better way to find out more about him?