Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM

pregnant ferel cat

Can a cat give birth to a second litter, six weeks after giving birth to four kittens?
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Cat gestation is 58-65 days. If the cat is living outside, the kindest thing you could do is trap her (if necessary) and take her to the vet to be spayed.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

That is a definite yes, and I am no expert.

My latest adventure involved trying to trap a feral pregnant cat (back in April). But she had the babies 2 days before her appointment. Now, I have 4 more kittens in my family (now, I do love that gang!). We brought them inside at 6-8 weeks old, hoping she would stop lactating - well she barely stopped before she went into heat again. We missed two appointments because she was too smart to be trapped. Finally last week, after no food for a day or so - we got her trapped, she finally got spayed this past Monday, and am almost sure she was pregnant again. All those stray tom cats were visiting and still come to see if they can find her.

So yes....get her fixed just as soon as you can!

Diane
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Lets not find out ,jhc go get her fixed...................
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM

yes, cats can get pregnant 4-6 weeks after giving birth. once the kittens begin to wean, the hormones that would have supressed her receptivity increase. since cats are induced ovulators, they can cycle frequently until they are spayed or pregnant, roughly every 21 days or so if i remember correctly. if you suspect she is preggo and do not want the kittens, i recommend spaying her ASAP. if you are willing to let her have her kittens and find them good homes, then keep her inside after their birth and have her spayed when they are about 4 weeks old and they start eating cat/kitten food on their own.
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM

as you have been told, yes, the cat can get pregnant again already. trap her somehow or gain her trust and get her in and then take her to be spayed. alot of shelters will do it free of charge if it is a ferral cat