Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

BenMax thank's,but you are giving me too much credit,I just have a"thing"for all critters
After all,they don't understand that living in someones roof is not a good thing and this time they were lucky
The girl from HS helped very much in talking to my neighbor,I talked to him too,but he was more likely to do what HS tells him to do and she came here twice to check
You are all welcome to move to Oakville,lots of houses for sale and rent,but who would take care of the unfortunate animals in Quebec
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico2 - I would love to move and be your neighbour..it would be an honour.
As for the animals in Quebec.....well I will continue to fight for them and do what I can to get them to safety.....to your province.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Kitty pimp

yeahhh peanuts!!!! sq's are greta had one that used to sit by dad on the table by the pool eating sunflowers seeds
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,as long as they are not poor PitBulls,they are safe here,but not everywhere in Ontario.
I think our Humane Society is exeptional
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
BenMax,as long as they are not poor PitBulls,they are safe here,but not everywhere in Ontario.
I think our Humane Society is exeptional
Funny you should mention that - I am pulling pitties and Amstaffs out of Ontario and sending Ontario some other breeds in return. Good trade off don't you think?

Your HS sounds wonderful! I wish ours had the same b@lls.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Now,who is the angelI could not think of a better cause than rescuing Staffies and other pittie-like pups from evil Ontario
I think I am too old to use this expression,but anyway"you rock BenMax".
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I am sooooo glad this had a happy ending! I was really wondering if I should continue reading the thread there for a while!

We have tons of red squirrels in our town, and a whole family of them live in a tree in my yard that has been dead for years. My MIL, who owns the house I live in, hired a tree guy to come in and trim trees. When he came to do the estimate, and my husband was showing him which trees needed trimming - the guy asked about cutting down the dead tree. My husband told him that would be a very bad idea and he might find his chainsaw permanently relocated to a very painful location when I found out about it. My husband sometimes thinks I'm a little on the weird side - but at least he realizes that it's just safer to go along with me. LOL
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'm a softy

*aww* what cuties! Chico u are awesome!! We have ooooodles of red squirrels.. it is rare to see theose giant grey ones, but they are around too, the red ones like pinecones.. It is true! Green pinecones before they open up and turn brown they eat the seeds out, their fave! They also apparently like to eat bbq covers, and store pinecones in my car engine, but they are still cute none the less!
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Kandy,LML,we have 99% Grey Squirrels,the ones rescued were not Red Squirrels.
The pic is one of a Red one from a few years back.
The Baby-Greys are soo cute,smart little monkeys...I put the peanuts in a box,so the Black-Birds and Blue-Jays don't get them all and the babies crawl very carefully into the box to get one

Kandy I can relate to the tree-cutting,when Fates owner wanted to cut down his cedar-hedge,I knew it was a condo for birds,I asked him to wait and he did
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Going squirrely

Just reading the story of Chico's rescue of the squirrels. Very impressive, indeed. Kudos to you for being persistent!!
I have been rehabbing a baby red squirrel for over two weeks now.
I'm in NB
It fell from a nest in the eave of my daughter's baby barn on a Sunday, over two weeks ago. The nest was in the insulation in the roof of the shed.
We placed it back in the eave after about 5 hours of watching to see if Mom would come for it. We heard the rustle in the roof & thought she had retrieved it. Perhaps she did but on Tuesday night, my daughter came over with a severely dehydrated, cold baby that was in it's last minutes of life. It had no life except a leg that would twitch every now & then.
We still don't know if it was the same baby as Sunday or another.
I warmed him up in my hands & gave him a bit of warm pedialyte in a small syringe.
He came to life but was weak.
I fed him every few hours & started him on Esbilac puppy milk the next day.
His eyes opened & he was feeding very well. (I have lots of experience feeding orphaned puppies, kittens, etc over the years but this was the 1st squirrel.)
My daughter found a dead baby the following day in the same spot.
I called the only wildlife rehabber & they said they would take him if I wanted, but I could care for him if I'd like also. She said I could keep him with a permit if I decided to keep him.
I realize if they are raised alone that they are hard to release.
Well, Mr. Squiggly has grown up so fast. He has gone from a scrawny pup to a bright eyed, not so busy tailed-yet cutie.
I have a huge flight cage that I built a wild kingdom in for him & he is learning to climb & jump.
He gets offerings of everything imaginable to eat, including apple trees, buds, acorns, & loves to nibble on fir boughs
His favorite food thus far is banana, but he is learning to chew on cashews & almonds if i hold them for him.
I live in the city but we are in a well treed, quiet area....bad thing is...lots of cats are around.
We have parrots & a secure bird proof room (porcelain heated floors & partial walls) if he needed to stay.
I am thinking of keeping the little gaffer as a pet in case he can't make it alone. I don't know if it would be a mistake as I know the damage they can do, but a huge cage & supervised play time out in the bird safe room might not be bad????
Comments would be good...lol
What does everyone think? I love Mr. Squiggles & want the best for him.
Attached Images

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Huge pics

Wow...didn't realize how BIG my pics were!!
I just noticed my little one was peeing in the picture lol AND I didn't realize how badly I needed a manicure!!! LMAO.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

ian-sue,OMG he's cute,thank you for saving him,every little life is precious
My friend from a few yrs back,left her Squirrel lose in the house when she was home,then slowly introduced him to the outdoors.
I really believe a Squirrel nursed by humans can make it out there on their own eventually,to do what Squirrlies do.
I can understand the attachment though and the worry,bad things happen to Squirrels all the time:sad:

As for "my"Squirrels,the renter of the house,never bothered to close up the hole again and now we've seen a female Squirrel with building material in her mouth go in there,more babies
The man is a nice man,says the noise doesn't bother him,the owner might think otherwisethey can be very destructive..
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't believe a rescue suggested keeping him, if I have a single orphan I usually call the rescue to get a litter mate roughly around the same age so they can be released, but at times I have released singles, it takes a while longer and a lot of heartache the first night they don't return, but in my opinion a wild animal belongs in the wild, can you call the rescue back and allow them to finish the rehab? The best place for you to release him back into the wild would be near the barn that he was found, the smells would be familiar with him and instinct will guide him to a nesting spot.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,my friend when the Squirrel was big enough,let him go outside and explore her backyard,but always came back until one day he did not,my friend was sad,but the Squirrel was perfectly capable at integrating in to the life he was supposed to live.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM

The baby barn is in my daughter's back yard...we are in the city & there are tons of cats in & around our yards, so I am afraid that one might get him...actually my daughter's boxer was the one that found him the 2nd time & had him in her mouth!! Luckily, she did not bite him, thank goodness.
I will call the rescue again & probably let him go there....
They have a large wildlife reserve that I imagine is quite safe...I know it is the best for him in the long run.....(sniff)
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM

Plus...the baby barn/ shed that they were nesting in has motorbikes/ dirt bikes & gas fumes galore in it....they were in the insulation in the roof...poor little things.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

ian_sue,are you going to keep him for as long as he needs to be fed??
If not,hopefully they will treat him as the baby he is and feed him.
I can see how you have fallen in love with this little boy,I certainly would,he is adorable
Take comfort in knowing,you saved his life

Last edited by chico2; May 22nd, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM

Smile

Yes, I will keep him until he is weaned & eating well on his own...He is a boy actualy....Mr. Squiggles...(hubby named him...lol)
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM

I just read this post for the first time. Way to go Chico!!!! You saved some very special lives!!! What a great mommy squirrel!

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's,but I did not do much,now I get the pleasure of seeing these little guys at my feeders every day,they are really cute
Momma is keeping an eye on them.
Unfortunately they are back in the roof,but the young man who rents the house does not care,so the Squirrels are going in and out freely.they are not going to be trapped anymore.