Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:59 AM

Need help with new kitten!

About a month ago we got a kitten from the SPCA. We had two cats (about a year apart in age) and after one passed, we wanted to get Kalou (who is 6 yrs old) another companion. We were very slow with introductions and even a month later, we still have them in separate rooms when we are not in the house supervising them.

Oakley (the kitten) continually pounces on Kalou and bugs him (which is to be expected since he is a kitten). About 90% of the time Oakley is the one bothering Kalou but sometimes Kalou will go after Oakley (this is after Oakley has bugged him for awhile) and almost run him down. It’s hard to explain but even when Oakley decides he is done with playing, Kalou will continually run him down and pounce on him. The most we have ever heard from either is a squeak; they have never drawn blood or broken skin but I always break them up at this point because I am nervous that Kalou might hurt Oakley.

How should I deal with this. I feel like I am constantly battling between not wanting Oakley to get hurt but also not wanting Kalou to feel frustrated because he is being picked on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!