Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Question Shooting

Any one know any more about the shooting @ Dawson College? I'm freakin, my son goes there. Can't get through to anyone
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Listen to CJAD, updates every 15 minutes.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

WHAT???? I have about 8 coworkers and really good friend who go there.

Old September 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Last I heard, there are four people shot, critically but no one is dead? Thats all I know. They're also saying the one shooter shot himself? Sorry if its not much help but its what I know
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

ok thank gawwd my son just called me. School has been evacuated. The shooting was in the cafeteria. He was right there ... I can't believe this. Blood everywhere. Four people got shot and some injured. He doesn't know if any died. He thinks the gunmen r still in the building. OMG
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the shooters killed himself, another was shot dead by the police, there is a possible third gunman
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Oh my, thank goodness your son is okay.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM
An Honest Contributor

CTV-M has live coverage. This is sooo awful!!!! My son said someone called him inside his classroom and told them to hide as the gunmen were right outside. Can u imagine kids having to hide and the fear of hearing gunshots outside your classroom? As soon as they got a chance they all flew and ran out the building. OH man ... some have died. What a nightmare. My niece ran all the way down Atwater and didn't stop running.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
An Honest Contributor

OHH no ... some kids are stuck inside still
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I can't believe this! I hope that no one else gets hurt. I'm so glad that your son and neice are ok golden girls. I'll be praying for all these people.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a biiiiiiig school. It;s going to take ages to search the entire building :sad:
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Golden Girls, so glad to hear your son and niece are okay. How awful. I feel so bad for everyone who's still waiting to find out. I hope they catch the last shooter soon.
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

MUHC has accepted 12 victims, 6 critical, 2 serious and 4 stable.
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM

I have no words only tears
Prayers for all of you with loved ones at the school
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Golden Girls, I'm glad your son is Ok. As soon as I heard I called my niece, but she is Ok. Her last class was at 12:30 so she left the building instead of going for a coffee
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM

OMG! Thank God your son is ok, GG! And your niece too, cpietra.

Here's the story from the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...ts-dawson.html

What a horrific experience for everyone involved, students and their families alike. to everyone who's been touched by this terrible event.
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
cat slave

that's terrible. You hear of these things happening and when it happens so close to you , personally, i have no words.....
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM
-

There's been a second victim :sad: (first one was the gunman) I kept thinking of the younger members from this board,I didn't know if anyone went to Dawson...everyone's safe right?What a horrible,horrible thing to happen,here,in Montréal.:sad:
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:03 PM
The demons' servant

OMG I just heard...its on TV now...

It was teh work of one man apparently....

Megan
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

As was the killings at Ecole Technique Polyvalent several years ago. Tragedy strikes again in the montreal area. Those poor parents who are dealing with an injured child. Very sad day.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM

last time i checked, 20 wounded, 4 dead.... I couldnt keep myself from crying at work.... It's terrible. I am speechless. How cruel.

Maxine
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I just read in the 80's there was a shooter there that killed 14 female sutdents,so sorry for all of you,,,,,,
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM

From Yahoo News:

Gunman wounds 20 at Montreal college By PHIL COUVRETTE, Associated Press Writer
42 minutes ago

A gunman in a black trench coat and sporting a mohawk haircut opened fire Wednesday at a Montreal college and wounded at least 20 people — six critically — before he apparently was killed by police, witnesses and authorities said.

Scores of panicked students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out at the school of about 10,000. Some had clothes stained with blood.

Police spokesman Ean Lafreniere said there was just one gunman at the school and the search for any others was over.

Although police initially suggested the gunman had killed himself, Police Director Yvan DeLorme later said at a news conference that "based on current information, the suspect was killed by police."

CBC-TV showed police with guns drawn standing behind a police cruiser as a SWAT team swarmed the 12-acre campus. A bloody body covered in a yellow sheet lay next to a police cruiser near an entrance to a school building.

Montreal General Hospital said 11 people were admitted, including six who were in critical condition. The other nine were taken to two other hospitals.

Witnesses said a man wearing a black trench coat entered the school cafeteria and opened fire wordlessly.

Derick Osei, 19, said he was walking down the stairs to the second-floor cafeteria when he saw a man with a gun.

"He ... just started shooting up the place. I ran up to the third floor and I looked down and he was still shooting," Osei said. "He was hiding behind the vending machines and he came out with a gun and started pointing and pointed at me. So I ran up the stairs. I saw a girl get shot in the leg."

Osei said people in the cafeteria were all lying on the floor.

"I saw the gunman who was dressed in black and at that time he was shooting at people," student Michel Boyer told CTV. "I immediately hit the floor. It was probably one of the most frightening moments of my life."

"He was shooting randomly, I didn't know what he was shooting at, but everyone was screaming get out of the building," Boyer said. "Everybody was in tears. Everybody was so worried for their own safety for their own lives."

Raamias Hernandez, 19, said he had just finished his class when he saw everybody starting to run.

He said the gunman was dressed in a black jacket and had a mohawk haircut. Hernandez said he started to take pictures on a camera cell phone with his friend and the suspect saw them and started shooting.

Student Devansh Smri Vastava said he saw a man in military fatigues with "a big rifle" storm the cafeteria.

"He just started shooting at people," Vastava said, adding that he heard about 20 shots fired. He also said teachers ran through the halls telling students to get out.

"We all ran upstairs. There were cops firing. It was so crazy," Vastava said. "I was terrified. The guy was shooting at people randomly. He didn't care, he was just shooting at everybody. I just got out."

A SWAT team and canine units were dispatched to the school, going floor by floor to look for victims, Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told CNN.

People also were evacuated from two nearby shopping centers.

Canada's worst mass shooting also happened in Montreal. Gunman Marc Lepine killed 14 women at the Ecole Polytechnic on Dec. 6, 1989, before shooting himself.

The 25-year-old Lepine roamed the halls of the school firing a rifle, specifically targeting women whom he claimed in a suicide note had ruined his life. Nine other women and four men were wounded.

That shooting spurred efforts for tighter gun laws and greater awareness of societal violence — particularly domestic abuse. Canada's tighter gun law was achieved mainly as the results of efforts by survivors and relatives of the victims.

Another shooting in Montreal occurred in 1992, when a Concordia University professor killed four colleagues.

Dawson College was the first English-language institution in Quebec's network of university preparatory colleges when it was founded in 1969. It is the largest college of general and vocational education, known by its French acronym CEGEP, in the province.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM
An Honest Contributor

My son just got home and relayed what happened. What a frightening experience for the kids to have to go through. And as a parent, there are just no words. My prayers are with all the victims and hope they all survive.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
cat slave

always makes me wonder what triggers ppl to do such things. ut there's no excuse for violence no matter what! Shame. horrible horrible dark people who do this.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Boss-lady!

I just heard about this on the radio in the car. My thoughts went right to the Montreal members here. I'm glad your son is OK, Golden Girls, and your niece, cpietra. Hope your co-workers and friends are OK, puppyluv. Still, there are some who will be getting bad news today. :sad: My thoughts are with their families, and with all the victims.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
-

And how the hell could he get a semi automatic ....
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I came on here soon after coming home...I know alot of us are from montreal and was praying that everyone's families are ok. Thank god your son and niece are fine, golden girls!

My thoughts are with all the students at Dawson....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I just watched the news, and I am appalled that they would announce 1 student dead, then continue saying that the next of kin has not been informed. How cruel.
I am so sorry for the kids, and parents that are going through this....
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

They've asked parents of kids who are unaccounted for to check with the hospital and their friends.