Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil
From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldendoodle

also:

There are many purebred dogs that are very low shedding or don't aggrivate allergies in some people.
I've read your previous posts and it seems you want a larger dog.
A few that come to mind:
A portuguese water dog
A standard poodle
A curly coated retriever (I don't know how easy these are to find; they look similar to a labradoodle)
A greyhound.

Mixed breed dogs such as labradoodles and goldendoodles do not breed true, as in the litters do NOT come out consistent. Some may shed a lot, some may not. Even later generation doodles are not consistent, there are throwbacks, genetic problems start coming out (like in poorly bred purebreds), etc..
Most breeders of these dogs don't do genetic testing even if they claim to.

Also these dogs are EXTREMELY overpriced in my opinion.
There are breeders of low-shedding purebreds that have consistent litters, genetic and health testing, and health guarantees, who sell their dogs for much less than the inconsistent doodles. Many of these people are also more likely to honor their guarantees than people that breed doodles.

It is possible that several years from now some of these doodle breeds could eventually be established as a purebred, that would be a LONG way off, as no one has been able to get consistent litters and there's no strict breed standard. If you buy any of these doodle breeds at this point there is no guarantee that the dog will not shed. Also, many puppies do not shed. Even if you get a non-shedding puppy, as it ages it's coat could change and it could start shedding.
You are all like talking to the ceiling, I REALIZE that its NO gaurentee that they won't shed, I am WILLING to take the chance. I would rather take the chance of MAYBE getting one that does'nt shed, then to not try it at all. I realize you are all against it I get it, you ahev your reasons and I have mine. We can agree to disagree on the oodle topic...I still want one!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Honest Contributor

(( giggle ))

remember, she doesn't care what others think!! guess that's why she's here asking for opinions

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I am not expecting my dog to be perfect I have had animals all my life and only once did I ever get rid of an animal, I look at animals like my furbabies, I care for them in the very best way.
People who look at their animals like furbabies "rehome", they don't "GET RID" of animals. (And even then it would require dire circumstances)

I got rid of a pair of shoes once.

Last edited by Prin; August 19th, 2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM

For what it's worth, my neighbour had a $2500 Labradoodle and he shed like crazy. I found a stray poodle once and he shed all over me. A friend with a poodle also recently found that he does shed to some degree. Another friend's Schipperke (another supposedly non-shedding dog) found out that her dog blows coat twice a year.

Have you thought of a standard poodle? Or a Portugese water spaniel? Both are fair-sized dogs and are thought to be low shedders.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
You are all like talking to the ceiling,
no no... we said "like talking to a brick wall"

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Like I have said over and over agian you are all so closed minded to your opinion to see any one else. I understand your worries on the breed okay, nut i still would like to give the mixed breed a try. I doubt I will be let down in any way how can you bring an animal home and not love it no matter what... And okay I did'nt say rehomedARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I "rehomed" that dog for many reasons, but that a whole nother topic. You all are so set in your opions and I am so set in mine that none of us are seeing anybodies points.. I did'nt ask for YOUR advice I asked for the advice of those who have oodles or want them. You decided to give your advice and on a chat room like this you have the write to put in words your opion and I have the right to disagree and continue my quest to seek out people with these dogs. As for wanting attention I want inofrmation!!!!!
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I realize you are all against it I get it, you ahev your reasons and I have mine. We can agree to disagree on the oodle topic...I still want one!
You have opened several threads with the same subject, and had just about the same replies in each thread. You are apparently not willing to except disagreements.
It's also rude to troll, I suppose you know what this is, since you've gone above and beyond to accomplish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Have you thought of a standard poodle? Or a Portugese water spaniel? Both are fair-sized dogs and are thought to be low shedders.
She doesn't like poodles.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I really tried to stay away but I find I really must say just a bit.

Brandy - you seem to be missing the boat. Every one here has TONS of experience with dogs of all breeds and we are desperately trying to impart some but you seem to have a completely closed mind. That is truly sad. At 24 years old, you have so very much to learn.

Personally, I have had dogs for a decade longer then you have been alive. I have rescued, fostered, transported and bought from breeders. I have held puppies while they were euthanized because they had no homes.

I understand that you are willing to take what you can get from this wonderful breeder that you have picked out. I understand that you want what is best for your children. I also understand the heartache of a child playing with a dog that drops dead with no warning from an undiagnosed heart condition. I understand the sorrow of a child who's young dog can't walk across a room because it's hips are so bad. But you are willing to deal with that.

As for your dislike (or mistrust) of pit bulls and rottweilers, I feel very sorry for you and your children. Two of the most famous Search and Rescue dogs on the West Coast of the United States are "pit bulls". Rottweilers and pit bulls do therapy work, Search and Rescue, and a ton of other things that I can't even think of right now.

While the press loves to scream from the mountain tops every time a large powerful working dog bites someone - golden retrievers and labradors bite more children then any other breed.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
As for wanting attention I want inofrmation!!!!!
somehow, i don't think this forum is the right place for positive info on designer breeds & their BYBs. at least, not judging from all the answers & opinions you got on the issue so far on all the threads you opened, right? so why keep trying? now if you wanted to RESCUE one instead of shelling out oodles of cash for a puppy, we'd be all over you like bees on honey with all the positive info you could possibly want

Old August 19th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I did'nt ask for YOUR advice I asked for the advice of those who have oodles or want them.
First line of original post:

Quote:
I just want to know if anybody knows anything about Goldendoodle
You got the responses you asked for.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Yes I have opened several because I am trying to contact those whom love these dogs and want these dogs so that we can talk about them.
All I know is I am intersted in these dogs and thats it. I have said a dozen times i understand everyones concern with designer breeds and I have listened to all of them but that has'nt made me want one less, and I have seen others threads looking for info on these breed types, and I just would like to see what they ahve to say about them.

I'm so glad BMD, Lucky, Inverness, BoxerRescue, and the rest of the rescues are not here. They'd all have a heart attack.
Honest Contributor

like Pink Floyd said in "the wall".... we don't need no... educaaation...

Old August 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy101bbb
Yes I have opened several because I am trying to contact those whom love these dogs and want these dogs so that we can talk about them.
Did you read the "welcome" email? Doesn't it explain that a ton of members here are heavily involved in rescue? So we did what we do. We pointed you toward rescuing one.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
LOL, That's an apt discription.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

She is asking for advice but really wants to hear " whoo hoo, your getting a ------------ oodle!!!!! EVER CUTE, show some pics," and so on.
There is no point in trying to educate her on what is really behind all of this, we're just typing for nothing.

So Brandie, CONGRATS, enjoy your choice.

Hope this satisfys you and you can let this rest!
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
She doesn't like poodles.
I thought that was because they were too small, thinking she was referring to mini or toy poodles. That's why I suggested the standard.

You asked for an opinion from someone who owned one. My neighbour did. He shed like crazy. That's why the people who paid $2500 for him ended up giving him to my neighbours. Because they couldn't handle the fur on their $20,000 living room furniture in their $2,000,000.00 home. So, yeah, we get a little cranky when we find out that there are more people out there breeding these poor mutts (and that's what they are) and selling them at exorbitant prices when there are perfectly acceptable dogs sitting in shelters waiting to be adopted.

Shelter dogs are too unstable? The $2,500 Oodle next door tried to bite his owner on the ear and then ran away to some unknown fate. My rescue puppy mutt has been trained to three levels of obedience and two levels of agility, is the most gentle creature on the planet with my 3-year-old son and would never dream of leaving my side, let alone running away. You do have other options than lining this person's pocket and perpetuating the problem.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
This message board is heavily against designer breeds and irresponsible breeding in general, so opening and reopening threads with the same subject isn't going to change that or gather you any new information.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
No we need rich hubbies.

Honestly Brandy, you won't get the answers you're looking for because NOBODY here is an advocate of breeding mutts for profit. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Did you read the "welcome" email? Doesn't it explain that a ton of members here are heavily involved in rescue? So we did what we do. We pointed you toward rescuing one.

Thats great that tons of people are involved in rescue that does'nt mean we all want a rescue dog, as for the chic that wrote we don't need know education, you are things I can't say because I am christian and I try not to treat poeple like garbage. You apperently have are a rude person and you think you know all and are right about all. Oh well your loss! I am not going to change my mind no matter how many RESCUE people or people who don't like designer dogs tell me not to get one... I had people tell me NEVER to have children that they are a pain and guess what I want 5 kids I have two and they are the best thing to ever happen to me, and my dog may not be everyones bag, but it will be mine and i will love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil
This message board is heavily against designer breeds and irresponsible breeding in general, so opening and reopening threads with the same subject isn't going to change that or gather you any new information.
It will however get one banned.

We are done now.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Done and DONE.

PLEASE do not reopen this topic. Any similar threads that spin off will be promptly deleted.
Closed Thread