Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Smile Finally settled on a breed!

I've decided to get a curly-coated retriever--after I get a house with a yard, of course. There are absolutely no local breeders (and by local I mean "in this state", LOL), but lots of good breeders will ship. I'd really like to get a dog from this breeder:

http://www.curlycoat.org/
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM

They look crazy. With all the "biosensor" stuff and all the testing...
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM

LOL, yeah, isn't the fur something? The first time I saw a picture of one I was like, "What IS that??" Apparently curly owners get asked a lot if their dogs are labradoodles! But they're a real breed . . . and they DO shed. But apparently their coat doesn't take much care at all, just the occasional wetting and brushing. (Wetting makes the curls tighter, I think.)

I'm really excited about the breeder, I hope I can get on her waiting list.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Personally, I like the chesapeakes better, but these guys look really interesting too. Gonna be a lot of work though.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Cute pics of the puppies, will you be getting a black or a choc. ? Or maybe one of each?
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM

I thought they were a cross at first, too.

They're a great looking dog, and sound (according to the breeder) like a wonderful breed.

If the breeder's web page is any indication, they look like a very good breeder, quite careful. Their dogs would be expensive, but you'd probably have a good chance of getting a very fine quality dog.

I think if it were me, I'd start planning on how to get my dog well in advance. If this breeder is where you end up getting your pup, any chance you could schedule a vacation road trip back to NY to meet the breeder and the puppy's family--it'd be pretty important to me. And I've found that there's nothing quite like a road trip for bonding with a new dog. (I know it's a BIG trip from eastern Washington to New York!) It's a heckuva beautiful trip, too!

If you find a breeder in this part of the country, and need to crash for a night, let me know. I have a pretty comfortable couch. (and a std. poodle puppy that loves visitors.) This breeder is located down in the Phoenix area and is a pretty high profile (big in the dog shows, including the Westminister) breeder. http://www.summerwindretrievers.com/summerwindmain.htm. I'll bet they are very expensive!

Last edited by Angies Man; October 25th, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Personally I like them, I have seen one at a dog show ( went with my friend who was looking into choc. labs and wanted to talk with breeders) and it was an amazing looking dog.

Good pick!
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Good for you!! I love hearing about people who RESEARCH their dog breed before hand, and find a REPUTABLE breeder....

Keep us posted

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I was just looking thru Petfinder and found alot of curly-coated retriever on their site from around your area...I know you want one from a breeder, but these sure are cute..
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
If the breeder's web page is any indication, they look like a very good breeder, quite careful. Their dogs would be expensive, but you'd probably have a good chance of getting a very fine quality dog.
All the curly coated retriever breeders I've googled up look good (testing with CERF and OFA, being choosy about where their puppies go), but I like that breeder especially. I've actually been talking with someone in western Washington who has one of her dogs. She's also on a retriever message board I found, so I also get an idea of her practices through her posts. Visiting would be ideal, maybe I can arrange a trip to New York at some point. There are other great breeders, too, the nearest ones being in California. (Quite a few in CA, actually.)

Quote:
Cute pics of the puppies, will you be getting a black or a choc. ? Or maybe one of each?
Well, I'm always partial to black dogs! But if the breeder pup who's brown, I won't mind.

Quote:
I was just looking thru Petfinder and found alot of curly-coated retriever on their site from around your area...I know you want one from a breeder, but these sure are cute..
I've been checking Petfinder too, but haven't seen any curly coats . . . They do have the occasional curly mix, but the AKC agility trials (which are the only agility trials I've found nearby) don't allow mixed breeds. The AKC was considering changing their rules, but so far haven't, bleh.

Quote:
Good for you!! I love hearing about people who RESEARCH their dog breed before hand, and find a REPUTABLE breeder....
Thank you! It was veeery hard narrowing it down after I got down to a couple dog breeds. But the curly coats have a nice, easy to maintain coat, are a bit more reserved with strangers than goldens and labs (while still being polite), generally get along with other pets, and have a goofy, independent nature. I don't want a dog with as many protective instincts as a doberman or rottie, but as a woman living alone, I appreciate the watchdog aspect.
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Im with Meb here. Im very happy that you have researched so much. I admire that.

You know what qualities you were looking for and not just " whats available now"
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
-

Nice looking dog. So how long before you get a house with a yard?
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7181046
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7068183

I don't know much about the breed, but let me know.