Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM

Question about my dog's behavior

Hi,

I have a 1yr old Jack Russell Terrier and lately she has just been driving me crazy. I am fine with her being hyper, it isn't that. Every night she will sit on the arm of the couch and whine until we let her outside. She acts like she has to go potty and does anything to get our attention. Every time we let her out she just runs back and forth along the fence line, looking for people walking by or for other dogs which is her normal day time behavior. She doesn't go to the bathroom though she acts like she desperately has to go outside.

Could this be a bladder infection or something serious or is it just that she really really enjoys being outside all the time chasing people who walk by?

Thank you, Jessica
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM

I would say your dog really likes to run the fence. My guess would be if your letting her out just because you think she needs to go, she's fooling you. How you deal with this is totally up to you. Long as she whines and you let her out to run the fence, my guess is she will continure to do so. You may have to ignore the whining and set a time before bed to take her out, for the purpose of potty and not allow the fence running. I"m guessing like a baby in the middle of the night,, if you play with the child they will not want to go back to bed and they get in the habit of getting up everynight and expecting not to go back to bed .. your dog is in the habit of going out to run the fence and if he can get away with it,, why not......Doesn't make him a bad dog,, just a smart one :-) ((( note I have more child experience than dog experience , but I"m learning too )))
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

ditto!

Jack's are VERY SMART dogs, as I'm sure you know. Sounds to me like this dog is playing you - and possibly would benefit from some more tiring activity at night. maybe a nice long walk/run, a session of play combined with some training, or even agility. sounds to me like this little guy has some pent up energy and now has a habit of getting his way in the evening to release that energy.

if it were a health issue, I'd assume your dog would ATTEMPT to urinate, and either have trouble doing so, or be doing it very often throughout the day as well as the evening. But of course, if you suspect any health issue, a trip to the vet never really hurts.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hello there!

My first thought is that your dog is very bored.

What kind of exercise does your dog get and how often?

This is her normal day time behavior? How often is she placed in the back yard?

Other then placing her in the back yard in the eveings, what else does your dog do throughout the entire day?

Dogs become obsessive if they are not given a job, training, proper socalization, exercise and discipline, running the fence isn't a normal dog behavior, it's obsessive behavior. And its very common/easy for a busy breed like a jack to become this way if their energy isn't properly dealt with.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Owned by goldens

Question about my dog's behavior

Sounds like a severe case of cabin fever. One of my dogs has it also.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
Sounds like a severe case of cabin fever. One of my dogs has it also.
OMG! Mine too and she gets walked everyday, we had to do day care to drain the batteries! LOL!

The season does play a roll for sure...not as much day light and nice weather for outings!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)