Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Question Bottom Scooting

My 4 yr. old femle Min Pin is dragging her bottom on the carpet. I had a male cat that did this b/c he needed his glands expressed. Do females need the same? Is there some other reason why she is doing this?

we are in the process of buying a new house and i really don't want her butt funk on the carpet
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM

It probably is her gland. My bf dog is female and she needs her gland done every once in a while. The vet showed his parnets how to do it and his dad does it himself. I don't think it cost very much to go to the vet and get it done.....

Good luck

Slave to Maxwell
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Yep, anal glands. They could just be full, in which case emptying them will stop the behavior or they could be itchy due to some allergy... When your vet empties them, ask if they were full to be sure.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Butt funk........alrighty
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Thank You!!!

I made an appointment for in the morning. Its not expensive at all.
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

super dooper, another min pin person, hi im brenda live in canada and have 4 min pins hope you love the breed like me and yup its glands my second to last rescue diesel had the same thing here it cost 18.00 but he need meds as the gland was infection, good luck at the vets your baby will fea soo much better after words. l
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Huh?

Ok, I just thought that dogs did the butt scoot thing because they were itchy or were just..unclean.. Are you all saying that my male Pom needs to go the vet and get something emptied?

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM

lol I love it when people find out about anal glands.

Yep, there are two sacs, one at 5 and one at 7 o'clock inside the hiney. As the stool empties, it's supposed to empty the sacs a little each time. In some breeds and in dogs with softer stools for a prolonged period of time, they fill up, sometimes fairly often and have to be emptied by your vet (or by you... but it's NASTY).

Also, allergies can make them itchy, which causes licking, which causes a flow of yumminess to the anal glands which causes more itching, which requires a vet, some squeezing (by the vet) and sometimes some antibiotics injected into the glands.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Um..how would one go about emptying the anal glands (roflmao) of her own furbaby?

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I would like to point out that not EVERY time a dog drags his/her butt on the carpet do they need they're anal glads emptied. My aunts dog pixie, scoots across the floor every now and again, but her problem is that she's too fat to clean her self and she's itchy. I would say, check and clean your dogs behind, if the behaviour stops, then it was just irritated by dirt. If the behavior continues, call the vet to have the glands cleared (or do it yourself). I only say this, because we wasted a LOT of time and money at the vet with Pixie and her itchy bum and it was just dirty. However the anal glads are the first thought for butt scooting and shoud not be discounted.
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM

The vet can usually tell if they're full or not when he gloves up. I'd be surprised if a vet emptied them over and over when there was nothing there... (i.e. I'd find a new vet..)

Mahealani770, I suggest you go to the vet first, see what happens and decide if you want to learn... If when he empties them, you still want to learn, then you can ask how he did it and to show you....
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I'm not saying that when we took pixie that the vet didn't get anything out of her anal glads, but we have gone to the vet and she's checked her glands and there was no build up. She told us they were not full enough to cause her to scoot her butt, just a normal amount you would expect. Now we clean her first. 9 times out of 10 she's fine. On the rare occasion they do need to be cleaned. We get the vet to check them every time we go in. If we're paying for a check up the vet does it for free. I don't think we need to change vets. I"m not saying that the problem in this case is anything other than anal glands. All I"m saying is every time your dog scoots does not mean that you need to go to the vet. Simply clean your dogs butt first. If the dog goes right back to scooting it's butt on the floor then go to the vet. Why spend $50 for a check up and gland cleaning if the problem can be solved with a bath?

Last edited by bethaliz; July 14th, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old July 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM

oh, ok... I misunderstood.