Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Let's Threat People With Respect

I just read two threads (TWO too many!!!) in which someone made rude, nasty and uncalled for remarks. We are all here for the same reason and the objective of this web site - as I understand it - is to help animals and their people help them. We also help each other. It's late and I might have said that better but essentially that is the purpose.

I see no reason whatsoever for anyone to be rude or to engage in name calling in participating here. It certainly serves no useful purpose and is very upsetting. And judging from some of the threads even about this topic, it would appear that they were started almost to carry on some nefarious discussion is so far removed from this goal that it ultimately serves no useful purpose and leads people who might take part in this very useful site to opt to go elsewhere.

No-one needs to be humiliated or hurt in the course of attempting to help another or in promoting animal rights. Yes, I know every orgnization has it "small p" politics but in the last week, this site has become almost like Junior High. It reminds me of a response by Jay Leno to a question of when he is happiest which he replied by asserting that "I will be happy forever knowing I never have to go through Junior High again" (and yes, before someone jumps on me, I am aware we call it middle school now).

Did we not agree, under the terms of the site, to treat one another with respect? If it's not included in the terms, the owners of the site might well look into it. It's still in fashion to be polite and I would just like to ask each person to think about what they are goin gto write before they do. I include myself in that. The tone has been so miseable here lately that I myself have made a few remarks I wish I had not. It is my mission in life (among other things) to try to always be kind and most of the time I achieve that. But the tenor of a site or location, even a virtual one, must be conducive to that and for some reason, someone is trying to take the joy out of this site and ruin it for others.

I urge the moderators to examine those threads and if neceassary, take whatever action is approriate to bring this place to one of a caring and collaborative community. We can start by respecting one another!
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats very thorough and well thought out.

I hope the powers that be have some way of retrieving edited / deleted posts. Actually I think and believe they do, which will be helpful.

I too feel I've been caught up in this and it's not fun to feel you always have to defend yourself or your intentions.

Thank you for this post!
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:15 PM

It's hard to stay civil, too, because we all can't fully trust each other.
It's hard when people know the story of one person, and a thread has a whole background that the rest of us don't see.
It's hard when people write for themselves, not thinking of how others will respond.
It's hard when a typo changes the entire meaning of a post.
It's hard when people have a very hard time apologizing.
It's hard when we're all so passionate about animals in very different ways.
The longer people come here, the more they know, the more they've seen, and it all just flies over the newbies' heads.

It's like in my communication class in cegep. The guy was on drugs, but what he said will always stick in my head:
When you get angry, the first thing you think of is "you made me mad". But people can't make you mad. They can't make you anything. So he said, when you're angry, you have to say, "I've become angry because I misunderstood what you said." 98% of the time, it is just that: a misunderstanding.

Peace out! Ah, crap, they're crossed.
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Hoping yhr peace sign works,
Attached Images

Old July 11th, 2005, 01:58 AM
banned user

*MAJOR GIGGLES*

"threat" people with respect.......

Was that a Freudian slip, CK?

Old July 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I have always loved coming here, it's been a stress relief, as well as make me feel part of a "family" so to speak.

I have also learned so much here, as well as help some (hopefully).

Also, I finally feel I fit in here, No one seemed to understand my (so called overboard) LOVE of animals, most think I am some kind of nut, beause I feel so deeply for all living creatures. I feel most people here are just like me which has been just great, because now I don't feel so alone, and like I am the "only one" who cares about animals .

Sorry, I'm being so long winded . But CK is so right, Please can we all just get along?? And stop fighting, stop hurting eachother ??

I have been afraid to post, or even come here lately beause the place (pets.ca) I seek comfort and understanding has become so hatefull and volatile :sad:

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

YES RESPECT!

If someone posts something RUDE or just something you feel passionately for or against - for the love of god DO NOT RESPOND WITH RUDENESS. We have banned good posters that cannot hold their tongues (or keystrokes)

Members on this board better start respecting the rules they agreed to.

This thread - now closed.

MARKO
ADMIN
Closed Thread