Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Molly's mama

Flyball?

I just found out that a town 1 hr away from us has a flyball club. Molly LOVES fetching tennis balls so I am thinking of giving it a try with her!! I emailed the trainer and she invited me to come watch a demonstration on Canada Day. I am excited!!! Living up north, I am willing to travel 1 hr for this if Molly is into it!

Does anyone here do Flyball? If so- what are the basic "skills" that Molly needs to have in order to get started with the club?
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd love to do flyball too, in fact I bought a box and jumps when I saw them advertised in the super shopper a few years ago. I taught one of my dogs (that I've also done some agility with) how to use the box but we've never signed up for lessons or done it as a part of a team. I almost signed up for a course a couple of years ago but money was tight and it was also an hour away from me so on top of the course fee there was also the gas expense - darn big SUV that I need to drive for hauling stuff

Here's a link you might find interesting http://tailsawagginonline.com/flyball.html

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Flyball has to be without a doubt the most fun anyone can have with a dog. I actually managed to get a Shepherd trained for flyball and from start to finish it was an absolute riot!! It's a team effort and the indoor meets will split your eardrums but it's nothing but fun, fun, fun. One heck of a workout for both of you and I highly recommend anyone with the stamina and a fast dog to try it. If your dog likes tennis balls this is definately a sport worth getting into. Keep us informed on your progress I'd love to know.
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Molly's mama

Thanks GailP and shabess! I am a bit concerned because Molly is not used to crowds or really chaotic situations. But when I have a tennis ball in my hand, she is fixated!! oh, and did I mention she is CRAZY fast!!? I figure it's worth a try!! I will let you know what I find out after I see the demonstration on Canada Day... I will bring my camera too!
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Molly's mama

We're baaaack!!!
It went well! I got to the arena and it was CHAOS!!! there were people everywhere, including Shriners and Clowns giving out balloons and noisemakers, kids on rollerblades, a ton of baby strollers, 2 hot dog carts, and a kids play area with a big parachute and big bouncy balls... and all of this was going on in the same large room as the flyball!!! Talk about sensory overload!!
Molly actually handled it very well. She only started barking when she saw the other dogs doing their run. The instructors were very nice and said that's perfectly normal. We started off walking her over the hurdles and walking her on to the step where she retrieves the ball from, and then running through it with a retractable leash. She was a NATURAL! She did get a little snappy with another dog when it tried to take her ball away, but I made sure to keep our distance from the other dogs. I think a lot of it is just excitement. After about 1 hour of being there, she laid down and had a rest- that was really good to see. Next week we practice in a field so that will be better. But this was a good simulation of what a competition would be like!
so- until next week!!
Attached Images

Last edited by mollywog; July 1st, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Molly's mama

The instructors gave us all Canada bandanas for the dogs cute eh? They also ran with their experienced dogs, as a demonstration for the crowd. It was neat to see all sizes and breeds participating.
Attached Images

Old July 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Master of the Drool!

YAY Flyball!! So much fun!!! Used to do it with my mom's BF GSD and we had sooooo much fun!! Can't get M&M interested though. They are alittle slow. LOL

Go Molly!!!!!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
You can call me DOG!

Molly looks like she's right into it!

Have a great time next week in the field and keep us posted please!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Molly's mama

One question, for anyone who does flyball... one of the ladies there said something to me about not feeding the dog for 48 hrs beforehand? She said something like "its not good for their stomach"??? Anyone else ever hear of this? That sounds like an awfully long time to 'fast'.
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to say Molly looks mighty snazzy with her new scarf!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
One question, for anyone who does flyball... one of the ladies there said something to me about not feeding the dog for 48 hrs beforehand? She said something like "its not good for their stomach"??? Anyone else ever hear of this? That sounds like an awfully long time to 'fast'.
That sounds like overkill to me. I'm not that familiar with flyball practices, but sprint mushers don't fast their dogs that long before they race and the distance/mid-distance dogs don't run on empty stomachs, they are snacked along the way during rest stops (small high-energy snacks, not large meals). I mean 48 hours, that's 2 whole days. Way too long in my opinion but that's just my

So you obviously are doing more than just watching a demo Bet you're hooked already. I'm sure it's going to be lots of fun Lucky you and Molly.

Last edited by Gail P; July 1st, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Molly's mama

Hahah yes Gail, as it turns out, the beginner class started TODAY! lol! Nothing like getting thrown into the fire!
I agree, the no food for 48 hrs sounds insane to me. The lady mentioned it to me because she saw me giving Molly a little treat for being quiet in the chaotic surroundings! but she wasn't one of the instructors so I will take it with a grain of salt and ask my instructor next week! My sister does agility- I will have to ask her, I would think it would be similar in terms of feeding guidelines.
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There is a member who has a dog who is a flyball champion, but I can't remember who , it is my old age, memory is just not what it used to be

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Byrd, I am sure it is Byrd who had a dog who did a lot of flyball/agility training.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Byrd, I am sure it is Byrd who had a dog who did a lot of flyball/agility training.
Awww, the memory is not totally gone yet.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She looks mighty natty in her new bandana, mollywog! So once you're done with the class, will you be qualified to join a flyball team? Sounds like she's gonna wanna go for the gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
Are you sure she didn't say "4 to 8" hours instead of 48? Two days would be asking for trouble--we had a dog that had a grand mal seizure when his glucose level fell too far. Can you imagine starving a dog, then making it exert enough to play fly ball?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Are you sure she didn't say "4 to 8" hours instead of 48?
Well aren't you smart? Bet that's what she meant, that would make much more sense. Depending on how it's said, 4 to 8 could come out sounding like 48.

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Molly's mama

4 to 8 does make much more sense. With all the barking, honking, yelling kids/ babies, and barking dogs, you could imagine how that would be difficult to hear? Or maybe I should get my ears checked???
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM

Told you it would be fun!! Fasting is between 4 and 8 hours take my word for it, depending on the dog. The indoor meets are always noisy because of the excitement but that just adds to it. I think you're hooked! Welcome to the world of flyball. It's good excercise both for you and the dog, you meet a lot of new friends, some life long friends and everyone is out there for the same reason. Later on there might be something else you might try..........frisbie. That is really a blast as well. Good luck and really nice pics let us know how you get on!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awww, the memory is not totally gone yet.
yep it is byrd. Willow is her flyball girl

Mollywog, that sounds like soooooo much fun. Please keep us posted on her flyball adventures. Oh and tho it doesnt need to be said (im sure u know!!) she is soooooooooooooo beautiful

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Both of you are going to have a blast!!!

keep us updated on how it goes

I can see how anyone can get confused on the 4 to 8 or 48 hours..when in a loud place it can sound the same..
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Performance Spaniels

Depends upon how hardcore the person is.. I'm going on 3 years in agility, rally and Ob circles. you meet a lot of people. And you aren't going to agree with everyone's advice.

If the person is that hardcore it really could be 48 hours.

My kids are at an agility trial tomorrow, they get fed once a day on a normal day. They'll eat as soon as I'm done lunch and not again until tomorrow when we get home. Cider likes to poop on course still after all these years if she still has gotta go even after multiple poop stops. That said they'll get cookies and stuff tomorrow and won't have empty tummys.

I also think 48 hours is an awful lot, but I've heard weirder.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep it is Byrd that is big on flyball. I would love to do this. Do you think min-pins could?? Julia would love that but she is so tiny. Are there any height restrictions to flyball?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Performance Spaniels

Flyball needs height dogs. Smallest dog on the team sets the jump height. No reason your minpin couldn't. Here there is a decent amount of flyball training around, but it's hard to get on a team as many are more competitive than what the average pet owner is looking for. If you look up NAFA (north american flyball association it should be able to put you in touch with local people to talk to.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Yep it is Byrd that is big on flyball. I would love to do this. Do you think min-pins could?? Julia would love that but she is so tiny. Are there any height restrictions to flyball?
From what I understand, flyball is very all-breed/ mutt friendly. Most of the dogs in my class are mutts and/ or rescues
The instructor has a fiesty little JRT that she does competitive flyball with, he's great! no reason why you couldn't try it with your MinPin!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Master of the Drool!

I have seen minpins doing flyball. I love watching the little dogs running down the course! too cute,
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
I have seen minpins doing flyball. I love watching the little dogs running down the course! too cute,
Really?? And Julia can run like the wind and she can really jump high. I am going to look into this. I think it would be alot of fun since we cannot go to dogparks due to her 'stature'. Hey - maybe even I will get some much needed excercise.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM

I'll bet Molly had a blast She is just so adorable

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying