Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 5th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Puppy Urininating when Excited

Our 9 month old border collie/sheppard cross has started peeing when she is
really excited. Usually only happens when people come to the home - what a welcome they get.
I know the obvious answer is to try and make sure her bladder is empty when
company arrives, but this isn't always possible. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Since she gets SOOO excited when people come to the door, try leaving her in the house and opening and closing the door, ringing the door bell and knocking on the door! Don't go crazy, but do it in moderation - or you'll just make her go nuts!! This should calm her down when she is more comfortable with all the sounds and hears them frequently. Some one else will provide you with some other advice that you might find more helpful.
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:16 PM

My parent's dog did this also. Everytime someone came home - it didn't matter if it was a visitor or us she got so excited she peed - just a little.

To stop the puddles on the house floor the started lettingher outside to greet whoever was coming into the house. If it was us coming home we'd let her outside as soon as we opened the door and greet her outside.

Also, we made an effort to greet her calmly, just say "Hi Cookie", and a quick pat...we didn't go overboard and make her even more excited.

Not sure if it was something she just grew out of, or if the way we greeted her changed the behavior.

Good Luck!
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Do not make a big deal of her when you leave simply say bye and close the door. When you come home no fuss simple pat on the head and keep walking. Eventually she will calm down and coming and going will not be such a big deal to her. Also when you have guest ask them to do the same. You will be surprised how quickly they catch on. Once she does go back to making a fuss over her, if she starts to pee again start again.
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Smile

My dog Lacey used to do this when she was a puppy. Fortunately she grew out of it by the time she was about 1 year old and we didn't even have to do anything to stop it! Hopefully this is the case with your puppy as well. Lacey is 6 years old now and we never have this problem any more. Good luck and hopefully this is just a phase for your puppy as well!
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:38 PM
banned user

pets.ca has wonderful tips regarding this problem:

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-14.htm
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the help.
She doesn't do it with family, only unexpected guests - great welcome
It doesn't matter if they ignore her or greet her heartily - she piddles. Even if she is outside, it doesn't seem to matter, we end up with a puddle. I'm hoping
she'll outgrow it or visitors may show up less and less
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM

another thought

Is your pup crate trained? It might be helpful if when the doorbell rings if you can tell her to go to her bed or room or whatever cue you might use. She might be less inclined to pee or piddle if she is confined to her own space.
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It might be helpful if when the doorbell rings if you can tell her to go to her bed or room or whatever cue you might use.
This might work, but I try not to do it with my dog because he is so attached to me. I think he thinks "what if I ever had to protect my owner?" He freaks out even more if I keep him in his kennel than if I just let him meet the person.

Try having your dog on leash. Have someone you know come over and let him/her know what is happening. Have your dog on the leash at the right time, and have someone else open the door when your dog is quiet. Have your dog in the sit or down position all the time. Allow the person to aproach if your dog is being calm, pat the dog on the head, and lead him to his kennel.
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Great news!!! Abbey didn't pee on my daughters two friends today
I put her outside when they came to the door and even when they greeted her outside, she didn't piddle. Maybe she's out growing this, I spoke with a few people in the area who have dogs and they said it was fairly common with females. (I've only had male dogs before)Luckily everyone we know has dogs so they aren't horrified (or at least they pretend not to be) when she piddles on their feet
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats great! Keep up the good work!