Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM

Wellness Core

Has anyone tried this? Since Koehlers stools have been loose from the change in Canidae I can only assume it is from the added barley. The regular Wellness products have Barley - gosh it is darn right difficult to find a product!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
-

I prefer Orijen.....it's Canadian and made at it's own manufacturing facility.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My dog Buddy is on Wellness Core, and he's doing great. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1291&cat=8

Hey Rainbow, how much is a bag of Orijen? If it's comparible to Wellness core I might give it a try.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM

When we found out about the formula change in Canidae, we switched our GSD to Wellness CORE. So far so good.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM

My dog was on wellness core chicken variety before we put her on raw and she was doing great on it. She had great stool compared to what she had previously and she definitely liked it a lot better than her old food.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post

Hey Rainbow, how much is a bag of Orijen? If it's comparible to Wellness core I might give it a try.

Around here it is about $58 to $59 per large bag. Wellness is about $62 to $63per large bag.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Around here it is about $58 to $59 per large bag. Wellness is about $62 to $63per large bag.

I'll have to give it a try (if I can find it that is) I pay $75.00 for Wellness Core Plus I hear Wellness was bought out, so they may change the ingredients
And Orijen is

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I feed Orijen and Winston loves it! Large bag is 66.99 (I think it is 40 lbs)

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM

I have our puppy and adult dog both on Orijen. I get it at the co-op for $53.99 a bag. The fish forumal is $56.99 a bag. They both do very well on it and enjoy eating it. Our boarder collie was very picky but she loves this food.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlove View Post
Has anyone tried this? Since Koehlers stools have been loose from the change in Canidae I can only assume it is from the added barley...
You switched from a low protein, grain-based food (Canidae) to a higher protein, grain-free food (Wellness CORE). It should be mixed for 3 weeks to avoid soft stools..
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Right now I am feeding a mixture of Orijen 6 Fish and Wellness Fish to both Spencer & Sydney. I was debating on switching to Wellness but I may ust try to stick it out with the Orijen. For some strange reason though, the last time Spencer was on Orijen he drastically lost weight (had a lot to do with his separation anxiety) and now that he is back on it he seems to be always hungry. Does anyone else find that when feeding the Orijen?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM

Our dog that we recently switched over seems to eat faster. Before she would not always finish her food now she does and will eat more if we give it to her. So I would say she eats a little more but never bugs us for food. There has been no change in her wieght.
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I feed Wellness Core. My son's dog is very intolerant of barley, so that limits my choices on good food. I keep both my dogs and his two dogs all on the same food since I have his dogs so much, and I want him to feed a quality food - which he wouldn't because of the cost, so I buy his food. I had them on Timberwolf, and they all did great but when the recalls happened last year, and TO stuck to their closed mouth policies on disclosing where their ingredients were sourced from or who manufactured their food - and then they changed their formula to what I believe was a lower quality product - and raised the price, I decided that I could not continue to do business with a company I could not trust even though the dogs were doing wonderfully on it. I switched to Canidae - and over the winter all the dogs had problems with dirty ears that they'd never had before, and my newfie girl showed up with some skin issues so I switched them to the Wellness Core. The large bags of Core are smaller than other companies (26lbs compared to normal of 33 or 40) and it is more expensive.

While the dogs are definitely doing better on the Wellness than they did the Canidae, I am still considering going back to the TO because they aren't doing as well as they did when they were eating that. Their ears aren't near as dirty and Hazel's skin issues have cleared up - but I also notice more shedding and a duller coat, and my collie/hound mutt is gassy again.
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up

I feed Wellness Core Ocean. Patrón loves it!!
I'd played around with a lot of dog foods, but Patrón's poops were just like pudding with every other food. NOW... He's perfectly happy and healthy!
12lb bag is $29....
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I took care of my friend's dog and changed him to Wellness Core original formula. He loved it and he did well on it. Of course, now that my friend is back from his trip, he just feeds whatever (the poor dog's tummy - he just switches, no gradual change). So now he's on Purina Selects and he smells and his coat is greasy. Yet my friend doesn't notice a difference. ONly because it's so much more convenient to get it at the grocery store when there is a pet valu next to the grocery store where he shops. Sorry for the rant but I love this dog and I hate the attitude of my friend who won't take any advice. Anyway, I chose Wellness because it wasn't as high protein as other grain-free foods and the fat content wasn;t as high. They did research for 2 years to see how much protein a dog would use before excreting it through the urine.