Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 20th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Do we need another sticky?

Is anyone else getting frustrated by people who make one "looking to adopt" post, leave their phone number and/or e-mail address, and then never return to check their replies?

Do we need another sticky that says something to the effect of, "This is not an on-line classified listing. It's a bulletin board where information is shared with all members & visitors. Please don't post once and disappear. No one from this board will call or e-mail you with the info you're looking for. They'll post it here for all to see. So if you really want their advice, please come back to read it."?

Sorry, just my pet peeve for the day...
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it annoys me greatly, especially when people here go to the trouble to find suitable pets and post their pics and info and give advice and the OP never returns.

Same for when someone asks medical advice and says "email me the answer".

I could put up a sticky, but apparently no one reads the ones already up, so I feel it would be futile.
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

No..an excercise in futility would be to place another sticky thread in the "Pet Health" forum!!!

How many times do people post a poor animal that needs immediate vet care??? "Please see your vet" "Please see your vet" I'm like a broken record,here!!! If there wasn't a poor innocent life at stake, I wouldn't bother communicating with these people that obviously can't read.

Whew. Sorry, that's me rant of the day.

Old February 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Oh, good! So it's not just me who wants to .

You're right, Lucky, the ones who read them are the ones who already know the issues. Guess I'll just have to learn to steer clear of those threads. You almost want to e-mail them and say, "Hello? Did you want our advice or not??".
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Nope!! Not just you W4fun!!

sometimes, I 'd like to say "Why don't you come back here, the next time YOU need the ER and we'll tell you to hang on 'till tomorrow--or until someone feels like giving you a lift...."

ugh!! Glad someone is fed up too!!
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry,but the one that gets me is when their animal is VERY sick and they can't afford to take them to a vets.But want us to come up with a quick fix for their pet.

Yes,I know this happens.But I'm sorry,do these people think that their pets will never get sick?

GRRRRRRRR
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Along the same lines, anyone notice there's been several "looking to breed" posts lately? And then they don't come back? I mean, it's like taking a box of doughnuts to the fat-farm, you're going to get eaten alive on here! I'm wondering if it's a proliferation of trolls lately. Just a thought. Now I need to go get a doughnut...
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:06 AM

You may not like the answer I give, but when you google, this site probably shows up and people are looking for answers for their pets to get well. At least they are trying to get help and not leaving the animal god no wheres. I find live is complicated and people are trying to do the right thing, it may clash with your idea of right, but they are trying to the best that they know how.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Mods are free to delete those threads.

If users alert me to those threads I will delete them or close them with a note.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

cinnabear--I agree with you to a point...and at least they come here where we care very much (more than they sometimes, I think!! )

But the real emergencies that need immediate attention is what I think should be answered once "Get to a vet NOW" and then closed. If they care enough to update us, they'll start a new thread when they return from the vet--but soo often we are left hanging...

That's just my opnion....
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
But the real emergencies that need immediate attention is what I think should be answered once "Get to a vet NOW" and then closed.
I 100% agree and if anyone sees such a thread, just email myself or mods (WITH the URL please) and it will be closed immediately with a 'get to a vet now' note.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter