Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2002, 08:41 AM

Question Puppy doesn't signal to go out

Hi,

My 5 month old Westie puppy is toilet trained but he doesn't bark or signal in any way when he needs to go out to wee or poo. I have to take him outside every 2 hours during the day to avoid any accidental mess indoors. However he manages to control his bladder at night for upto 6 hours. Please could you tell me how I can teach him to bark at the backdoor or signal otherwise. I don't think its possible to continue with such frequent trips outside everyday.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you,
Ruchi
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Puppy doesn't signal to go out - Answered by N. kitching

Hi Ruchi,

First of all, count yourself as being very lucky to have a toilet trained puppy dog. A lot aren't as far along as yours.

Dogs metabolism slows down during the night so they don't have an urge to go.

There are the usual times that they have to go out. Before and after they eat, play, sleep, nap, or any activity involving excitement in the puppy's life.

Generally at 6 months of age a puppy learns to control it's bladder.

Some dogs know where the door is and will show you. Others learn to hold it until you take them outside.

Teaching your puppy to bark can be really time consuming.

Your puppy requires "one on one" contact with you and going outside so what you're presently doing is fine. One day soon, your puppy will be house trained so don't worry.

Keep up the good work!

© Nancy Kitching 2002

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club),
and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165

Puppy doesn't signal to go out
Hi,

My 5 month old Westie puppy is toilet trained but he doesn't bark or signal in any way when he needs to go out to wee or poo. I have to take him outside every 2 hours during the day to avoid any accidental mess indoors. However he manages to control his bladder at night for upto 6 hours. Please could you tell me how I can teach him to bark at the backdoor or signal otherwise. I don't think its possible to continue with such frequent trips outside everyday.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you,
Ruchi
Old February 5th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Unhappy 5 month old Boston vomiting

Hi,
I just bought a 5 month old Boston and she is vomiting about 3 times a day for the last two days. She is completely vaccinated including rabies and bordetella, and is clear of worms in her fecal exam done 3 days ago.
She doesn't vomit after eating nor does she regurgitate food, but rather she seems to throw up when her stomach is empty and it is clear with just a little bile. (usually happens about 4 hours after a meal, most often in the evening and after playing)
Otherwise she's happy, playful and doesn't exhibit any other symptoms. So I'm not sure if I should just wait a few more days, or what I should do. Should I put her on interceptor in case she has parasites that just aren't showing up in her fecal?
I'm feeding her 3 times a day on Wellness brand puppy food.
Any input would be great, thanks
Pepper
Old February 21st, 2003, 03:29 PM

Question Teaching my dog to tell me "potty"

Yes! I am having this problem too. She would rather die than ask me for anything....but taking her out every 2 hours is really starting to take a toll.

She is an adult rescued doggie