Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Question My Chi Pin is coughing

My Chi Pin has been having a cough like a cat coughing up a hairball we thought it was kennel cough but after 3 weeks of treatment that has been ruled out they are telling me he may have a Tracheal collapse where his air way gets blocked when he gets too excited or gets over heated it is something that is common for smaller breeds has anyone else had this problem
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

When I got my dog Marty at a shelter he had a cough and I was told he had
kennel cough and I was give some antibiotics. I gave my dog the med and he started to get better, but just when he almost done with the antibiotics he started to fall over on the ground while playing . I took his back to the vet and he was given some x rays and I was told he had pneumonia. I was given some stronger antibiotics and this help Marty . When he was done with the second round of antibiotics his cough was still there and I was told this was normal, but I told the shelter it the cough sound difference this time . The shelter was paying the vets bills and wanted Marty to go there vet this time and he had x ray and the vet said he had bronchitis! Then to make matters more confusing one if Marty said she think he has Tracheal collapse because when she push on his throat he cough . Marty is a small , a mini poodle mix , I think with terrier . He does not do good when it's really hot and he cough after barking a lot . I have no idea what Marty had a cough when I got him but I was told small white dogs have a lot of health issues, his knees pop out of joints and the vet said , smalls white dogs get this a lot

kennel cough and I was give some antibiotics. I gave my dog the med and he started to get better, but just when he almost done with the antibiotics he started to fall over on the ground while playing . I took his back to the vet and he was given some x rays and I was told he had pneumonia. I was given some stronger antibiotics and this help Marty . When he was done with the second round of antibiotics his cough was still there and I was told this was normal, but I told the shelter it the cough sound difference this time . The shelter was paying the vets bills and wanted Marty to go there vet this time and he had x ray and the vet said he had bronchitis! Then to make matters more confusing one of Marty vet said she think he has Tracheal collapse because when she push on his throat he cough . Marty is a small , a mini poodle mix , I think with terrier . He does not do good when it's really hot and he cough after barking a lot . I have no idea what Marty had a cough when I got him but I was told small white dogs have a lot of health issues. I can only take Marty on short walks when it's very hot out and so I have to take out around 5:30 Am or 6 Am on hot days
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM

My Chi Pin had bronchitis also but my vet is now saying he might have a Tracheal collapse which would require surgery $ 4500.00 But my vet is saying that he should be ok keep him out of the heat and don't get him too excited I just wanted to find out if any boby else was told that
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
kennel cough and I was give some antibiotics. I gave my dog the med and he started to get better, but just when he almost done with the antibiotics he started to fall over on the ground while playing . I took his back to the vet and he was given some x rays and I was told he had pneumonia. I was given some stronger antibiotics and this help Marty . When he was done with the second round of antibiotics his cough was still there and I was told this was normal, but I told the shelter it the cough sound difference this time . The shelter was paying the vets bills and wanted Marty to go there vet this time and he had x ray and the vet said he had bronchitis! Then to make matters more confusing one if Marty said she think he has Tracheal collapse because when she push on his throat he cough . Marty is a small , a mini poodle mix , I think with terrier . He does not do good when it's really hot and he cough after barking a lot . I have no idea what Marty had a cough when I got him but I was told small white dogs have a lot of health issues, his knees pop out of joints and the vet said , smalls white dogs get this a lot

kennel cough and I was give some antibiotics. I gave my dog the med and he started to get better, but just when he almost done with the antibiotics he started to fall over on the ground while playing . I took his back to the vet and he was given some x rays and I was told he had pneumonia. I was given some stronger antibiotics and this help Marty . When he was done with the second round of antibiotics his cough was still there and I was told this was normal, but I told the shelter it the cough sound difference this time . The shelter was paying the vets bills and wanted Marty to go there vet this time and he had x ray and the vet said he had bronchitis! Then to make matters more confusing one of Marty vet said she think he has Tracheal collapse because when she push on his throat he cough . Marty is a small , a mini poodle mix , I think with terrier . He does not do good when it's really hot and he cough after barking a lot . I have no idea what Marty had a cough when I got him but I was told small white dogs have a lot of health issues. I can only take Marty on short walks when it's very hot out and so I have to take out around 5:30 Am or 6 Am on hot days
How did you know it was a Tracheal collapse what kind of test did they do ? And how much did it cost ?
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandittodd View Post
My Chi Pin had bronchitis also but my vet is now saying he might have a Tracheal collapse which would require surgery $ 4500.00 But my vet is saying that he should be ok keep him out of the heat and don't get him too excited I just wanted to find out if any boby else was told that
The vet said nothing about my dog needing surgery for his Tracheal collapse, Marty does needs surgery for his knees as they keep popping out of joint , I was told this is common with small white dogs. You should try getting a second opinion from a vet at another office. I wonder about vets something, I had one vet say my last dog had a heart murmur and that he needed a x ray and surgery right away, my dog was a hearing dog , any dogs that any health issues are not trained to be working dogs. I asked 3 other vets about my dog heart and they said it was fine.

Tags
chi pin