Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
NO, AC can't seize your dogs because of the sign. And I don't know why you were told that..If that was true, then everyone I know with signs(including me) would not have their dogs.
I called the city and was told if the officer said it was a law ... it was. They couldn't be bothered to look it up and quite frankly I'm so fed up with Quebec and the lack of animal protection I can't be bothered anymore. The sign is down and that's it.

Quote:
Again, the signs are WARNING people that there is a dog on the property. It's up to the person who wants to chance it. If a JUDGE will throw it out of court, what does that tell you?
All it tells me is that judge is in Ontario, my dogs are here

Quote:
And you can tell them that this came from someone who has been in Law for 20+ years.
I'll tell them if there's a next time
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I called the city and was told if the officer said it was a law ... it was. They couldn't be bothered to look it up and quite frankly I'm so fed up with Quebec and the lack of animal protection I can't be bothered anymore. The sign is down and that's it.
Then if I were you, do some research. To me, having the city say it is just not good enough for me.

Move to Ontario....
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM

Nutmeg, have you thought of calling CTV news.

I have seen on occasions where they will cover stories on lost or stolen dogs, puppy mills, etc. What you are doing is really a <feel good story> and not everybody is dedicated to that extent.

Sometimes a little negative publicity goes a long way.

Good luck
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:42 PM

Have been reading this thread, and although I haven't been charged with having too many animals, I have been warned with a ticket. (4 years ago)

I had lost one dog, and was actually in the process of going down to get a licence for the new dog. Animal control was going by and checking licences, and (I was getting in the car with my dog), he checked, saw it was for my other dog. I got the warning. Even when I explained where I was going.

When I got to the police station, I bought my new dog her licence, and gave them the warning ticket, and said that I was upset about it, I thought the guy would have given me the benefit of doubt, but no.

The person I spoke to was nice about it, and told me, that they would look after the problem. A couple of days later, I had a police officer at my door, and he stated, he was just checking that the dog had her licence, that bylaw thought I was trying to pull a fast one. Anyway, the officer checked, saw that I had one dog, with a tag, I also showed him the cat licence, and he was totally satisified, left with a "Thank you, Maam. I appreciate your honesty." and left.

Haven't heard a word from bylaw since, and it is now spring, I expect him to be around checking again. I am ready for him this time.

take care
binky
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

wow, I never realized they were so strict about it in some places!
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:22 PM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Yes CTV.. The Globe & Mail.. Pulse News..

but as I am only one voice.. maybe if a few of you wrote to newspapers or tv .. radio.. whoever might help.. would be appreciated..

Helen

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

count me in!!! i will get a letter of to c t v news good luck brenda.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM

I really can't believe the degree of misuse of privacy laws -if that is what I assume you are basing these on. Having a lot to do in the privacy business myself, and knowing what you have gone through, it can in no way be substantiated as plausible proof (they never asked for the registered tags of your dogs (they could easily have been registered elsewhere!! - you don't have to tell them, but it is a high probabilty, they can't deny),what they were actually looking at. If they never made an attempt to contact you personally (then how could they possibly know,if, or where they were registered???) Absurd to the endth degree!!! If you have a petition, count me in too! Fight them. With all your photographic and background proof, they don't have a leg to stand on.....lol but serious
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM

I think you should start Doberman rescue..... That might make them think twice..... Kidding aside I think what they are doing is disgusting and a violation of your privacy! I don't know if I can help but I will any way I can.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM

How frustrating Helen.

Just to clarify a few things according to the CCC (Canada Criminal Code)

It is not illegal to enter someone's property without the intent to commit an indictable offence - whether or not the photography counts, I really couldn't say because I haven't dealt with that one before.

I could come onto the property of anyone here and build myself a little shanty shed in order to keep warm (although that is likely a bylaw infraction)~ it isn't an offense until I refuse to leave. It is an offense to refuse to leave someone's property when asked.

The whole "need a warrant" to enter a property is a very complex issue and not really applicable to walking onto property (photographing INSIDE a residence is diff). Police (and fire, ambulance) absolutely do NOT need a warrant to enter a property, dwelling, etc in many circumstances (ranging from 911 calls from a landline,etc) - BUT this rarely applies to municipal workers (the whole theory is that it is an imminent danger to someone's life)

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that if this happens, you need to contact the police to clarify this issue in regards to criminal offense and bylaws.
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM

You know I wish I knew as much about legal ease as I know about bassets and animals.. I was really hoping someone once either reading or hearing me dilemma might offer some legal advice.. I'm waiting still for the " formal " letter and fine for the $1200.00 dog fines and the $200.00 fine for illegal use of my home.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

Facebook
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenNutmeg View Post
You know I wish I knew as much about legal ease as I know about bassets and animals.. I was really hoping someone once either reading or hearing me dilemma might offer some legal advice.. I'm waiting still for the " formal " letter and fine for the $1200.00 dog fines and the $200.00 fine for illegal use of my home.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Hi Helen,

While it is not illegal to enter someone's property without the intent to commit an offense (the offense would be refusal to leave), I'm 99.9999% positive that the photography would constitute something - what that is, I'm not sure. In this instance, I would ask my supervising officer for advice. You can call your local police department/RCMP detachment and speak with either the dispatcher or even the watch commander (supervising officer) and they can tell you. The dispatcher will probably ask the watch commander anyways, I've never faced that question in 5 years!

Give it a shot...
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Okay Thanks.. I will.. and let you know..

Facebook
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:17 PM

I think that city officials in Quebec should start chasing after those who abandon animals all over this province, all year long, not good people that are helping them!!! I am a cat rescuer and already all the shelters and S.P.C.A are full and our "PROVINCIAL MOVING DAY (july1-st) AND DUMP YOUR PET ON THE STREET DAY IS COMING", this behavior is a total disgrace and people are getting away with it, because in Quebec there are no laws to protect animals !!! Please give generously to your local rescue or shelter and if you have time---- foster.
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Hi helen
My name is maria and i just move to montreal to reunite with my dauther after 16 years of separation, i am a former immigrant , so please don't mind my broken english
I was living in St.John's Newfoundland for 16 years, and i Have 3 ****-tzus for 7 years two of them i had since they was baby the third one i rescue since last year.
I am scary to loose my dogs , i spend all my savings to reunite with my dauther. i rent one apt here in montreal and the land lord toll my dauther that was ok have 3 dogs but he never wrote it so , i cannot live in the apt, i try to sublet it,but the real problem is that i am hiding myself and my 3 dogs in my dauther building wich you are not suppose to have them, now i am living like "Anne Frank;"
i have to walk with my dogs 5 :30 in morning and cannot leave the building until the next morning, it's a very bad situation once i never kill or still or even be a prisoner, i am free citizen, vote , organ donor, help SPCA in st.john's, ASPC< and Toronto human society. i cannot continous put more stress im myself and my dogs, and i cannot even foster , that's is amazing, if I will tell that to "Fidel Castro" he will laught on me, because i never hear that someone can dictate how many dogs you can have, if i can afford so be, who cares, if i was negligent fine, but my dogs are my life! it's simples that.
so, when i read you comments i decide to ask for help, because i do not know nobody here in montreal, and wich town here allow you have at least 3 dogs?
please , say something because i am in despair
i cannot came back to newfoundland, as i say i spend all my savings and lost my job as well, everthing to be with my dauther and my dogs as a family.
thank you so much
maria
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Maria,

I aswell have 3 dogs and 6 cats and our municipality DICTATES that I can only have 2 animals. I do not however hide my dogs as I own my own condo so I am in a better position. However, if someone where to snitch on me, I would be in very big trouble.

You will have to check the municipalities to find out how many animals you are allowed to have. Also, when renting, it's best to be honest about your situation. What I have done in the past when renting, was to make an appointment with the landlord, I brought my rottie with me, and when they saw how sweet he was, they allowed him in the rental.

I wish I had more to give you, but the only way to know is to ask.

You are in a tough spot for sure. I hope you find quick employment and enjoy your stay here in Montreal.
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Question

Hi I just move to montreal a couples weeks ago and i have 3 dogs, and i found out that you are allow to have only 2? that's true? where in quebec allow you own 3 dogs/ and if i want foster some, what to do? that's ridiculos you do not see things like that in any comunist country , really!
please let me know something because i cannot go back to Newfoundland (free land) and i am not give up my litlle angels, so what do i do?
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Yes good luck Maria..
My fines of $4200.00 came in yesterday.. I'm just beside myself..

Facebook
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Maria.. I don't know where you are but check communities in the West Island.. Pointe Claire.. Sommervale Gardens on Saint Jeans allows dogs..
Off island Hudson.. or Saint Lazare allow 3 + dogs..

Facebook
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes good luck Maria..
Are you kidding? How the heck do they justify 4200$ fine? That is absolutely ridiculous!
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
-

Quote:
Yes good luck Maria..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Are you kidding? How the heck do they justify 4200$ fine? That is absolutely ridiculous!
holy crap $4200.00 ? Animal abusers don't get fine 1/10 of that !! WTF ??? How did they come up with that amount ?
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
holy crap $4200.00 ? Animal abusers don't get fine 1/10 of that !! WTF ??? How did they come up with that amount ?
I was thinking the same thing. She is being treated worse than a criminal for heaven's sake.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:15 PM

i am in montreal NDG, and I just lost my job so I move to Montreal to be with all my family, I will try to be honest with the landlord , like Benmax say, but i definetly look to be where i can have my dogs and foster others, and help the community , and i hope i can found a job , wherever i go
I would like to keep in touch with you guys because i will be a great help,
right now i am in a big turmoil, i have to wait to sublet the apt that i am paying and cannot live in there after i get that done i will move on, thanks for your guide and keep in touch, i do not know how to drive in montreal yet, that my first time here, and i can help driving dogs to foster homes, i can help in any way, but only when i got my place because now i am hiding me and the dogs so they cannot barking, it's a very difficult situation but i am not give up! take care!
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTG View Post
i am in montreal NDG, and I just lost my job so I move to Montreal to be with all my family, I will try to be honest with the landlord , like Benmax say, but i definetly look to be where i can have my dogs and foster others,
MTG , I'm afraid you won't be able to foster cities bylaws don't care if it's a foster , they'll count it as one of your dogs. I know , totally sucks and unfair.
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM

helen..those communities West island, point claire and sait lazare they are all french spoken? do we have SPCA down there? i definetly will check it out, thanks a lot, ops!! before i forget i read somewhere here that if you want have more dogs you should register yourself as you have a kennel? that's true?
good luck my friend and I think we should open a kennel , really!!! that's the only way to help, in this province, count on my vote to change those ridiculos laws
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM

You know what ,guys!?! montreal law need some smack, we are all canadians, pay tax, resposible, we should do some kind of moviment to attract peoples attention and change that! it's not fear to who want help any kind of animals paying fees? oh come on!!! we look like living in the "settle" times, come on!! something has to be done - the voice does the work and raise the bar! it's simples that! by the way i lost my job because some of montreal law,s , I had a good job and ask for transfer and everthing was great , my supervisor say that my transfer was done, just move out! then when i move here and introduce myself to the new provider, guess what?, nothing was accept by them, so anyway it's a long history and iam not worrie no more, almost died!lost a job in a blink of eyes, but right now, my dogs are my priority and concern, so here i am to fight for whatever need to be change, count on me!
Maria
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
-

I know Maria , it sucks and doesn't make sense. I only know the limits in my area (south shore of Montreal) I live in the boonies (farmers & fields all around) here in Sherrington , I have no dogs limit , I can have as many as I want. But , all around , even if it's the same type of cities , it's mostly a maximum of 2 dogs ! Some places , if you buy a house where it's zoned agricultural , you can have more but not always !! It's different from city to city.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM

The fines are.. 7 @ $528.00 for dogs on my property.. over the limit.. May 19 & June 7
then 2 @ $264.00 Illegal use of my home..

Yes Maria.. we need more homes that will shelter dogs..
No West Island communities are English or bilingual its still a english stronghold..
Saint Lazare/Hudson same..
But I have to agree with Frenchie.. live rural and you have less problems.. Or on the Ontario border ..

Facebook
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Wink Pet Forum

Hi helen
thank you so much, i am "Rural" person anyway, I was check the west island as you toll me. I just need fixe something here in Montreal first, then try rent something in West island, and they have jobs down there even thou i start volunteer , help the comunitie , somehow, then I will looking for job.
and i sure i wil found something. OMG! I am so happy now! i was think cross the sea again , very depressed, be far way from my dauther, it wasn't a good feeling, now, I am brand new, looking forward to meet you one day.
i am really appreciate what you do, and we both together , who knows, !?!? one mile start with one "paw"
and by moving to West Island i keep my babies and help foster too.
Good luck to you , my friend, and do not worrie, good things happen to good hearts, you just light my path , someone will light yours, that's the real law!
take care and thanks again
Maria
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM

Hi Frenchy
I haven't look the map yet, but in
your community south Shore accept 3 dogs? or two?sorry , i became blunt after i discover those odd laws , here in Montreal (QC)
i am gonna spend all my time search all communities in west island and make sure that i can take my little ones with me because what they are doing to helen is inexplicable, behind my comprehension.insane and brutal.
They should look for drug dealer, crime, prostituition, animal abuse,, gambling, violence against women, kids that disapear ( a lot here in QC) pedophile , those are big issues because compromise the citizen well being, really! right???? but foster dogs ??? it's something wrong somewhere, my dear!!