Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old December 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM

PLEASE! Stay away from kiijii!! Most dogs listed there are from backyatd breeders and puppy mills. Like someone said, there are PLENTY of purebred dogs, mixed breeds, puppies etc...in shelters, waiting for homes. For the person (sorry, can't remember your name) Who said they are willing to drive to Toronto, would you be willing to drive to Les Cedres? It's just accross the ontario border (montreal). Animatch have soooooo many dogs available for adoption right now! We have adopted MANY dogs out to people from Ontario. Please visit animatch.ca and see the wonderful dogs up for adoption! There is also rosie's, amr, kiko's...the list goes on and on! Please stay away from sites like kijijii and craig's list and stick with a reputable dog adoption place!
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM

I personally have adopted a dog from this organization and had a very positive experience! I rescued a golden retriever cross from them in early 2007 and I was very happy with the process. The only thing to be aware of is that because these are strays and you are picking your new dog online you cant be sure of what you are getting. When I picked out my puppy SOS believed she was a golden retriever and husky cross but she grew up to be very short and long. I think she's probably a golden/corgi maybe even part nova scotia duck toller. Either way I had zero medical or behavioural issues and highly recommend adopting from this organization
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

It is not a puppymill - they are a rescue group.

Listen, someone will always say something negative about a rescue. There are holes in everyday life let alone a rescue. Everyone has an opinion about something. You need to find out if this is your dream dog.

Connect with them by phone. Speak to them and ask lots of questions. You will get the feeling on whether you want to deal with them or not..but at the very least give them or any other rescue a chance.

Good luck.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM

I am addopting from sos

hello i have been reading the posts above and have a question to doggie parents. when you were adopting your doggies did you have to go and meet the puppies at a foster home. I got a msg that we have been accepted but now we have too meet the little guy and every email i get they state that its "Please keep in mind that this is only a visit, unless this little guy is the right match for your family and vice versa " i am not to sure what to expect at this visit. mind you we already have a 3yr puppy. so maybe that is what they mean to see if he will be ok with the new guy. please let me know any help would be greatly appreciated
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Normally you are invited to visit the pups or dogs OR they come to you. This would be a normal request as they want to meet the potential families and what you can offer the dog as well as to ensure that this is a good fit. They will ask alot of questions which is also normal.

Ask them if you should bring your dog as this would be very important for them to view the relationship between your dog and this new little one.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM

thank you BenMax

can you tell me what kind of questions? i wrote as it seems a 3 page essay telling them about us and our puppy.

We were planning to bring him and our daughter as well who is 2yrs old. But maybe we should ask before rather then spring that on them.

I normally know that they do not like to adopt puppies to families with younge children. Our daughter is so familiar with our puppy who is 3 yrs old that never pulled his hair or chased him. she plays nice with him and trows a ball. and gives him kisses sometimes on the nose and sometimes on the tail lol what ever part is of his body

thanks
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM

I personally didnt meet my puppy before rescuing her- which is why I said she did not end up being how I imagined. I only saw her photo and description before choosing her. I wouldn't worry if I were you- its a great oppurtunity to see if you connect with the puppy so just be honest with them, ask all the questions you need and be yourself! I'm sure it will be fine
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAT79 View Post
I'm new to the forum and about to adopt from SOS QC ON DOG RESCUE. I've read the discussion threads and am pleased to read that many of you have had good experiences with the organization. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their experiences with me and tell me what I should expect upon arrival.
i have been approved for adoption from SOS Quebec Ontario Dog Rescue ( sos.qc_ondogrescue@hotmail.com) but i have yet to read a thread from anybody that has actually gotten a pet from them and i was curious as to how long it took for the pet to get to ontario bc they are saying it may take a month? does this seem correct and or reasonable? and they want the spay/neuter money first ($200) as well as the $100 deposit? before i send my money i just want to get as much info first as i can to be safe. does anyone know how one could verify them as a legit business/charitable organization or whatnot? thanks
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Hi everyone;
I am new to the forum so please bare with me...
I have recently been approved for adoption for a gorgeous pup from SOS. Our application was approved within 24 hours and we are told that we will be able to pick him up mid-April.
I have nothing but amazing things to say thus far in the SOS process. They provided me with tons of references (of which I called all that spoke English) and all had wonderful things to say. Including the vet in Brampton that deals with many of the pets that come from there.
Josee has been wonderful at promptly answering my 5000 emails a day asking questions about my pup. I will keep everyone posted on if/when we get the puppy.
I have some small concerns after reading these posts that we will have to wait forever for him to get here...but it seems that if the puppy actually gets here they are all in relatively good shape and eager for new homes.
I hope I will be able to post a successful pick up soon. It seemed Josee was going to see her parents and leaving before the end of the month. She said she would return with our puppy...I'll keep you posted.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,
I was just "approved" last night and Josee told me that we'd be able to pick up the dog the third week of April as well! I have adopted before from an amazing rescue place in Whitby and he was 450$ with his shots, neuter and everything. He came from the states so there was also a "transport" included, so I am wondering why these guys are so much money? I also got the email about the 200$ neutering retainer fee and my husband is less than impressed about sending money before recieving the dog. SO basically I am wondering the same thing as thathirdrail - can anybody vouch for this recue place before I send them any money?? Thanks
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
-

My pup-phew came from SoS. It did take some time but they were bringing ALOT of dogs at one time (via horse trailer). There were some MINOR miscommunications but, that's bound to happen with so many volunteers, the odd communication barrier and eager, new mums & dads. The Boy arrived safe, sound, clean, healthy and adorable and the volunteers who made all the connections were
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten145741 View Post
Hi everyone;
I am new to the forum so please bare with me...
I have recently been approved for adoption for a gorgeous pup from SOS. Our application was approved within 24 hours and we are told that we will be able to pick him up mid-April.
I have nothing but amazing things to say thus far in the SOS process. They provided me with tons of references (of which I called all that spoke English) and all had wonderful things to say. Including the vet in Brampton that deals with many of the pets that come from there.
Josee has been wonderful at promptly answering my 5000 emails a day asking questions about my pup. I will keep everyone posted on if/when we get the puppy.
I have some small concerns after reading these posts that we will have to wait forever for him to get here...but it seems that if the puppy actually gets here they are all in relatively good shape and eager for new homes.
I hope I will be able to post a successful pick up soon. It seemed Josee was going to see her parents and leaving before the end of the month. She said she would return with our puppy...I'll keep you posted.
Hi There,

I'm another newby to the forum and I was so happy to find this post as my husband and I have been approved for adoption of a puppy from SOS as of last week.

Because we too are very exited to get our new dog and anxious to hear any news on our puppy's arrival I thought I would share what little information I have as I'm sure you too are just as excited. Last we heard Josee was heading up to QC this past weekend to get the dogs organized and get them ready to be fixed in the next week. Last we had spoken to her she had said that the dogs would be ready for pick up by mid April...fingers crossed. We emailed her yesterday to get further information on the dog but have not heard back yet but I'm sure she's busy rounding the pups from their foster homes.

As it sounds like our dogs will be travelling to ON at the same time. If you hear anything further on arrival times we'd appreciate it if you would share. Just out of curiousity did you get one of the French bulldog/boxer pups? If so did you get any info on the parents?

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM

HI PotRoast!
So happy that you posted!
I unfortunately have no new information then you have. We adopted "Johny" who you can see on Happy Tails on the PetFinder site under SOS....so no not one of the Boxer pups. I received an email from Josee last night just saying she made it there and that she was going to see the dogs today. I hope they are back next week--we were approved for adoption in March--so it's been a long wait. He was a little puppy then--by the time he gets here he will be HUGE! (He's a Bernese/Lab mix and we have renamed him Crosby)
He has a bed, crate, toys and everything waiting for him here..so sad to know he's still in that pound not knowing he has a wonderful home to come to. Please keep me posted if you hear anything else! I think Josee is tired of hearing from me as I email every couple of days to check the status of our little guy. I also called and spoke to her on the phone once--seemed VERY nice.
Perhaps we will meet when we pick up our new additions to the family?
Congratulations on your new pup! You seem just as excited as we are!
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM

We were also approved to adopt one of the boxer/french pups and I too have been asking Josee way too many questions. Since my fiance needs notice to book the surrounding days off work. She did give graciously us a little more info. They said they will be tentatively coming down on the 17th if the three pups who are spayed on the 12th recover well - if not, they will all come down on the 24th. Our little one plus two other pups will be have their procedures done tomorrow.
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM

That's great news!! Still so far away though
Does that mean there will be two transports? One on the 17th and one again on the 24th--or the whole transport would be delayed until the 24th if the puppies don't deal with the surgery well. I'm so glad my little guy isn't getting spayed there--I feel bad for the poor puppies that just have it done and then have to deal with a 17 hour car ride a few days later and then new owners, new homes, and all that
With us he has to deal with another 3 hour car ride after we pick him up. So many new things for the poor dogs--but they will be so excited for new homes!
Please keep me posted on anything else you hear!!!! Thank you!!!
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM

I heard from Josee again this morning. She says she will not be coming back on the 17th but on the 24th instead. She hasn't gone to the pound yet but will be today as she has to pick up a cat.
We'll continue the waiting game.....
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Josee told us that our Puppy, Joy, (yet to be renamed) was having her operation today. I guess we'll have to wait till Easter to give her treats. If anyone hears from Josee regarding the condition of the pups who went in today, we would love to hear something. I asked Josee a bunch of questions regarding the puppies health, colouring, etc, and I received no reply. I suppose it's a very difficult process for everyone going by a picture and sporadic information. We are just very excited to meet our new family member! We will keep you posted if we hear anything.
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck to you both.
BTW....I happen to LOVE the name 'Joy'...someone very close to me has that name.
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Hi, our little girl is having her operation today. Its better she associate that bit of business with Josee & Co. instead of with us. If anyone hears anything regarding the procedures today we would love to hear. I had asked Josee a couple of questions regarding our puppy, health, colouring, etc, and i had no response. She must be very busy with all of the dogs she is bringing back. We will keep everyone posted if we hear anything. Enjoy the sun!
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM

I heard from Josee, and the three siblings Joy, Stewie, and Jess had their procedure done yesterday. They stayed over at the vet and all are in good health.
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Picked up our happy, healthy girl in Whitby yesterday. She slept through her first night and has also slept most of the day She is a very content little one and so incredibly gentle. We've named her Mya.
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congrats on the new addition 07robint! If you'd like to start a thread in the intro or the photography forum, we'd love to see some pics of your little one and hear all about her!!! (Gotta warn you, we'll bug you unmercifully till you do. )

Glad all went well with the pickup!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Did someone mention pics. Come on we are waiting patiently......okay long enough
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Info: With PICTURES!

**Pictures of dogs at the bottom
Hi Everyone,
I registered today even though I have volunteered with SOS Quebec and Ontario Dog Rescue for over a year now and adopted my boy Rex from them last May. I wanted everyone to understand how exactly they work (I am expecting my first child; so as I can no longer foster, I still find ways to help them since Josee has been so great to us).

Here is how my process went with Rex back in May 2010:
I contacted the rescue on Friday in the last week of April and let them know that my husband and I were interested in adopting Rex and would like to know more about the process.

They responded immediately (I will come to that reason in a moment) and sent us a pre-adoption form to fill out, along with pricing, their goals, agendas and guidelines (ex. if the dog is not fixed, you must get him/her altered before 3 weeks, which is understandable since rescues are trying to promote people to get their dogs fixed. Also you are expected to give a $100 retainer fee if the dog is not altered as a security deposit which you receive back after you prove the dog has been altered.) We got Rex neutered right away and received our cheque back promptly.

We filled out the application straight away and were approved that night. The reason everything happened so fast was the fact that we were lucky on our timing. They were doing a transport from the pound in Quebec to here in Ontario so Rex was actually scheduled to be part of the delivery. He arrived in his foster home in Niagara Falls that Sunday and I was given the foster mom's number to contact her. We arranged a time for my husband and I to come out and meet Rex and it was love at first sight. We had to drive a fair distance since we lived the opposite way of Toronto but well worth it. We got to take him home that day and Josee came out to sign all the paperwork. They gave us his medical records and proof of shots and we were good to go!

I know it is different for some. We were lucky because Rex was in a foster home in Ontario so we got to meet him before we adopted him. However, many choose to adopt the dogs straight from seeing their biography on petfinder.com without ever meeting them (since the dogs are still in Quebec). SOS understands that having not been able to meet the dog prior to adoption the dog may not be for your family. I believe they have a policy that if you are not satisfied with the dog or find that he/she does not fit your lifestyle, they will take the dog back into foster care (within a week or two of adoption). I find this very reasonable especially for large breed dogs when some do not realize just how much work a pup is.

Sorry for the long speech! One more little bit:

I mentioned to them after I adopted Rex that I would think about fostering in the future. I have since fostered a 5 month old female Labrador Retriever, a 1 year old male Husky/Golden Retriever mix, a 3 year old female Great Dane (I loved her to pieces), and two siblings 7 months old, Husky/Golden Retriever mixes. It has been really rewarding and definitely helps the rescue. Since they do not have a shelter, foster parents are greatly needed. The reason Josee transports the dogs from Quebec is because Ontario has a higher adoption rate. Also, the pound is located in rural Quebec (farm area) so many farm dogs breed with each other, resulting in many puppies showing up on the pound's steps.

I really hope this has answered a lot of people's questions and concerns. I actually have an ad on Kijiji talking about the rescue and how people should look into adopting dogs before buying. This rescue is not a puppy mill. They have rescued many dogs from puppy mills (the Great Dane I fostered came from a HORRIBLE situation, and I mean HORRIBLE. However, she was great and we turned her around. She was clearly over bred and I am so happy the rescue stepped in and took her out of the despicable place she was in.)

Here is the link to their site: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON209.html
Here is the link to my kijiji posting: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to-g...AdIdZ271246322

1st Picture is my guy Rex whom we adopted
2nd Picture is of Rex and our first foster dog Lily
3rd Picture is of Mia our Great Dane foster
4th Picture is of Stevie and Sonny, the siblings we fostered
5th Picture is of Max, second dog we fostered. (Date is WAY off on the this picture).

Last edited by Spitfire1303; May 6th, 2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Adding more pictures
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM

SOS Experience

Hi!

I joined specifically to post on this thread, like I believe others have. I had an okay experience with SOS.

It started in March, 2010 when I fell in love with 'Porto' (now Bentley, Ben, Ben Bear, Benner, Boog) on Petfinder. Bentley is a purebred Bernese Mtn. Dog who was found roaming in Alma, so I was told. Apparently whoever found him brought him back to his home and his owners didn't want him back.

Bentley spent 4 weeks at the pound in Alma, QC before coming home to me. I live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and I drove and met Josee in Quebec City. Bentley was intact when I got him, I paid the retainer and got it back promptly after providing proof of neuter.

I was told he was 'about 100lbs' but he was 78lbs when I got him, so his time at the pound was rough. He was emotionally shut down, not housetrained, didn't know how to eat out of a bowl but was a quiet boy who was wanted attention.

About three weeks after I brought him home, I saw a new side of him. He couldn't be left alone anymore, he terrorized the house when left alone. In one day my previously mellow dog tipped over two tables and their chairs, broke a window, cut himself on the glass, broke three shelving units etc.

After working with a trainer and my vet, Bentley was medicated for a few months but is now good as gold.

Bentley is a Therapy Dog and has just started dabbling in Rally Obedience!

I do have a question for the SOS volunteer - we've always wondered if Bentley had a life as a show dog, based on how he is to groom, how he corrects his stance etc. Do you know if there is any way for me to trace him back a bit?

Cheers,

Bronwyn
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM

We picked up our amazing puppy Crosby on April 21st in Whitby also!!! I meant to post since then but sadly have been without internet
Crosby is our pride and joy. When we picked him up he was absolutely terrified and didn't whine, bark, or cry for the first 36 hours we had him. He also didn't come out of his crate once we put him in for the trip home (another 3 hours for the poor guy). We just picked up the whole crate and brought it inside..and then finally the next night we decided to pick up the whole crate and bring it outside to our large fenced in area (we thought he might think of it as another crate). We just let him be and sat on the stairs hoping the fresh air would brighten him up. Sure enough he stood up (thank god...we were worried his legs didn't work!) and came out of the crate and ran around a bit. Then he was terrified of the house..so it took another 24 hours of us lifting him from his bed in the house outside to use the bathroom. The first three days he was going to the bathroom lying down in his bed--which was really hard to catch him to correct it. But after the first three days he was running around like a maniac and within 24 hours he was housetrained. He's very smart. Already knows simple commands and he sleeps right through the night without a sound.
We really love him and are so happy to have dealt with SOS! We will definitely go back once we decide to get the Nash and Stills of our family!
Once I figure out how to post a picture I definitely will!
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Pictures

Okay, here's a few pictures of our little girl. She is coming up on five months old and still just as wonderfully well-behaved.

Here's the first photo her saw of her:

And here are a few more recent ones:

So here's a long shot here but if anyone on this board adopted one of the boxer/french pups, I would love to try and arrange a reunion of sorts. We take Mya to an off-leash park a couple times a week and she just loves being with other dogs. Unfortuantely, there are few young pups who go there and none of which have the energy to keep up with her...
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my god she is a doll!!!!!
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She is! She is!! How adorable is that face!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Thumbs up SOS Quebec Ontario Dog Rescue

In regards of "SOS Quebec, Ontario Dog Rescue" we had the chance to adopt a god from them 5 years ago. It's the greatest dog ever, a pure 100% mutt and we're proud of him!!!
Never been sick, looks and behave better than any pure bread outthere. Everywhere we go "leech free" everyone wants to know what breed he is!

We had a great experience with "SOS Quebec, Ontario Dog Rescue"!
There were very professional, great follow-up at all time and the service that they provide is priceless because they do actualy rescue animals outthere!

I would recomand them to anyone that are looking for a great family pet!
We live in Newmarket ON, and we were provided a great service that my family will be foreever greatfull for!