Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old November 21st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Owned by goldens

This is Winston

Winston will be looking for a new forever home soon. He is not quite ready to leave foster care as he needs to be neutered and have his back legs checked by a vet. He has some weakness in his legs that may be attributed to arthritis or hip problems. He is able to walk and get around well but clearly has some trouble.
He is a wonderful boy, clean and quiet in the house. He gets along well with other dogs and loves people.
Attached Images

Old November 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

hugs to winston, let me know if there is something else i can do, brenda and the pins.
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM

Awwww, he's adorable. Sure hope those hips stop bothering him with a little help
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Good luck Mr Winston!
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
-

Fingers crossed for Winston.
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Owned by goldens

This is Winston

Winston is doing much better. He still has some problems with his back legs/hips but nothing like they were the first few days he was with us. I have begun giving him Bufferin every 12 hours and it seems to be helping. He is eating well and today began to play with Hunter and found a huge stick that he carried around and chewed on.
He will be neutered and x-rayed on December 5 and the ready to go to his new forever home.
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

he's beautifull

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
-

Glad to hear that Winston is feeling better. Hope he finds his forever home soon.
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
-

I'm now Winston's new foster mom. I took over for Coppperbelle who has to rescue another doggie in need. We will hear about this new doggie next week. But for now, Winston is still looking for his forever family, likes dogs and is ok with Monsieur le chat. A little reminder on how cute he is...

Last edited by Frenchy; September 9th, 2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Live well, laugh often

Awwww, Frenchy did it again! Thanks to Copperbelle and you both for doing such a fab job fostering.

Do you guys foster with a specific organization? How does someone go about doing that? I think when I no longer have Lucy (hopefully a few more years yet!) I would like to try to foster.
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Do you guys foster with a specific organization? How does someone go about doing that? I think when I no longer have Lucy (hopefully a few more years yet!) I would like to try to foster.
We are for the Quebec golden rescue. But you're too far to help us How to do it ; find a rescue that you like and there is usually a form you can fill out on their website to become a foster. It brings you so much ! I just can't stop, it's like a drug ! A pretty good one too !
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Live well, laugh often

I know it would be tough to give them up but there always seems to be a new furry face waiting in the wings which much help a lot.

PS - Sorry for the thread-jack.
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Frenchy, Winston is gorgeous. Are there any leads for him? How is Molly doing?
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy View Post
Frenchy, Winston is gorgeous. Are there any leads for him? How is Molly doing?
We had people inquiring for both of them but not serious ones. We currently have 6 goldens up for adoption,will have one more next week. With Christmas coming, they all want to get rid of their dogs before the holidays. And people who would like to adopt want to wait after the holidays, wich is ok with me. It causes less stress for a doggy in a new family while having to deal with all the parties. Molly got spayed today,will pick her tomorrow,everything went fine. So Christmas at my house = 6 goldens (my sister is coming with her 2)
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Owned by goldens

While every dog I foster is special in its own way there are some that really touch your heart. Winston is one of them. I would have had no trouble continuing to foster him but there is another dog who is in need. He will need to be assessed, neutered and then when he is ready he will be put up for adoption. Watch this site next week for more information about him.
Frenchy, I hope Winston is doing well. He looks like he is panting. He must be so confused again.

Frenchy is right, fostering is like a drug. Last week when I picked up Winston he was laying in a kennel on a cold, cement basement floor. I knew he had bad legs and wasn't 100% sure I would take him because of this. He had trouble getting up and I couldn't leave him there no matter how bad his legs were. All I could think of was getting him home and giving him the TLC he so needed and deserved. That night after he had been bathed, and fed he curled up on a soft bed and went to sleep. It may sound selfish but watching him lay there like that gives me so much satisfaction. If you decide you want to foster contact a local shelter or rescue group. If they are anything like our group they are desperate for more foster homes. The more foster homes we have the more dogs we can help.
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:22 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Aww Winston's beautiful ... he finds his 4-ever home soon
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
Last week when I picked up Winston he was laying in a kennel on a cold, cement basement floor. I knew he had bad legs and wasn't 100% sure I would take him because of this. He had trouble getting up and I couldn't leave him there no matter how bad his legs were. All I could think of was getting him home and giving him the TLC he so needed and deserved.
And what a wonderful job you did ! I think he is walking fine ! I always let him out (he went like 10 times outside) by the solarium where there's only 3 steps. 2-3 times he decided to come back in by coming up the patio ! Without any struggle ! He barks a big thank you!
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I thought about how lucky Frenchy is that she gets to foster the breed she loves (and not some froo froo dogs or something she's not used to, you know?), but I guess now I am too a little bit...

Honestly, I hate giving up the foster at the end and I didn't want to do it again, but then you get one that just needs help.:sad:
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Owned by goldens

Winston

Winston is back with me. He didn't behave like a gentleman while he was at Frenchy's and she had no choice but to return him to me. He will be neutered tomorrow and x-rayed. Hopefully we will be able to determine the cause of the weakness in his back legs and give him something to make him more comfortable.
Winston is a really quiet boy and would make an ideal companion for an older person or apartment dweller. He doesn't bark when the bell rings and does not require a great deal of exercise.
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

for winston to find a forever home soon

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM
-

Old December 5th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Owned by goldens

Winston

We just got back from the vet. He has been diagnosed with a number of problems including hip dysplasia in his left hip, osteoarthritis in that hip. He also has ACL injuries in both back knees. There is also evidence of osteoarthritis in his knees. The vet says he has had problems all his life but has learned to compensate for them. He has prescribed Metacam with the hopes that it will help him be more comfortable.
My husband is certain that this is why Winston was abandoned and he may be right.
I asked about a prognosis and the vet said he could deteriorate quickly or last another 7 years. Just like any dog we adopt out there can be no guarantees.
Everyone at the vets office fell in love with him. He is such a sweetheart so he has that going for him. For now he will be safe with me until we can find him a forever home.
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
My husband is certain that this is why Winston was abandoned and he may be right.
Unfortunatly, I think he's right too :sad: Poor Winston, such a good boy. Fingers and all paws X here at my house for Winston.
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
-

Awww.....poor Winston. :sad: I hope he finds the loving forever home he deserves.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Owned by goldens

This is Winston

Someone is coming to visit Winston tonight.
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
cat slave

YAY!! hope this is it for you Winston!!
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

good luck winston
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
-

Old December 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Owned by goldens

This is Winston

I think they fell in love with him but he does have some health issues so they are going to think about it and let me know tomorrow.
I am just as happy to have him a little bit longer.
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
-

I know she really wanted to adopt a male... for Winston,give the sex machine a hug for me.