Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:17 PM
The demons' servant

Ooooh that's good news

Food = good

Better = Good too!

In the first pic he seems very...it looks like he's thinking "Not ANOTHER picture! Would you stop with the flashes!?"

Megan
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM

You do so much, Inverness!

You take on the toughest cases without hesitating....

I'm sure your vet bills are racked up and without thinking twice, you take on another helpless animal with open arms.

It's always the big organizations with publicity that get funding while individuals have to pay everything on their own.

I wish one day a generous donor clears your vet bill...and more!

I've passed this thread around to increase awareness.
Sam is lucky to have you.
:love:
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I lived closer, I would totally volunteer to help you out. I hope he improves again, keep up the good work Inverness.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not sure what to say to you,Inverness,I am just really happy there are people like you.
Whatever happens in Sams life from now on,he will know what loving care is all about:love:
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Inverness you are great and Sam is so lucky to have someone like you in his life. I am glad Sam is eating and sounds like he is doing a great job training you,,,,,homecooked meals. He deserves them poor guy. I hope your vet visit goes well.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I'm glad to hear he's doing better. Oh it still hurts to see those pictures, the poor little guy!
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Inverness, what an angel you are. Are you able to bathe Sam at all? And does he stay outside or in? Please keep us updated, he looks like a sweetheart...poor baby:sad:

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Inverness Sam is such a beauty and his eyes say it all, a big thankyou to you for helping this boy out and showing him what a loving home is like. I bet he is very attatched to you and I can totally understand why.
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor boy - there are words for people that do this to their animals but alas we can't put them up here. Inverness you are my hero - and more so Sam's. The pictures are so very sad, but I'm so glad one more has been rescued. Bless all of you who are fortunate enough and able to help like this. There is a special place in heaven for you. We all do what we can (like owning our rescue babies), but what some of you do just puts me to shame. Bless you all.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM
-

How is Sam doing? Glad to hear that he's eating. I do hope your next post has more good news.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Yes, I do have some news. Can't say if they're good or not, since we don't know which type of the disease he has, but we now have a diagnosis for Sam: pemphigus. If you do a Google-images search, you'll get plenty of horrible photos - the disease exists in humans too, and it makes so much sense when you look at Sam. This is a rare genetic disease. Basically, Sam's immune system is destroying his own skin. Which is why he responds well to cortisone. There are 4 types of pemphigus, 2 being more easily treated or at least controlled, the two others being more tricky - possibly lethal by destroying internal organs. We are hoping Sam's case is treatable. He has been put back on high dosages of cortisone and we give ourselves one month to see major improvements. Otherwise, we'll have biopsies done to get a clearer picture of the type of pemphigus we are dealing with. After just 3 days of cortisone at 50 mg per day, Sam's skin on the muzzle and ears has cleared up a lot already. I talk to him each morning to let him know he can make it. I ask him to work with me so we can beat it. He eats well (still home-cooking for him) and since we now know he is not contagious (no mange, no ringworm), he's allowed to come and play in the big dog run. We play together, he loves to run and throw apples to me (there's an apple tree just above his run and this is his way of telling me he wants attention - he throws apples to me !). I hope to be able to give him a good bath in a week or so, to help his skin heal and get rid of some scabs. He's put on at least 7 or 8 pounds, he's slowly building some muscle mass, and he still loves to dig. Oh well, what's a few holes if it can bring the light back into his eyes !

So that's the news for today.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the updated and taking such good care of Sam. He is obviously growing attached to you. Well why not you give him love and care for him. I hope from now on we only have good updates on this cutie. Big hug to you for being such an
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:25 PM

What a lucky guy to have found you.:love:
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

What a terrible desease that must be,before the Forum,I'd never even heard of it,poor Sam,but at least now,whatever the outcome might be,he is in loving hands. I guess cats don't get it?Or do they?
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Inverness, I know all to well about Phemphigus that is what our beloved Hank had, his form was muchoid. I wish you all the best for Sam and will say lots of get well prayers for him. Sounds like he is coming along quite well. Please send me your vets contact info, I would be more than happy to make a donation to help with his bills.

Bless you and kisses to Sam
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Toonces, I never realized this is what Hank suffered from. I'm so sorry, this must bring back some painful memories for you.

I pray so much that Sam's disease is not the vulgaris form. I don't want to lose him to this. He is doing good at the moment, and I hope he will continue to do so.

I will pm you my vet's contact info. Thank you. :love:
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

You know, any memories I have of Hank are good ones he was a very inspiring boy as I am sure Sam is, if there is ever anything I can do to help just let me know.... moral support or any questions you have about the disease.
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Inverness, I know you're busy, but how are Sam and Sydney doing? I check faithfully to see if there's any updates on them. I hope they (and all your lucky rescue critters) are well, as are you of course, bless you.
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
-

Dog Dancer, thanks for remembering to bump this thread up.

I hope that Inverness has a positive update.
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I've been reading this thread about Sam and have patiently been waiting to see how he's doing........Inverness please let us know how things are going, my heart breaks everytime I look at this little boy's pics.:sad:
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:29 AM
owned by Tucker

I too was thinking of Sam the other day and wondering how he was doing? I'll keep my that all is well.
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM

I've also been wondering how Sam and Sydney, the deaf Boxer, have been doing?

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Sorry for the delay, here I am !

Well considering what he has, Sam's condition has improved a lot. He's put on weight, he's playful and happy, and his skin is much better. However, things are not as pefect as we'd want. He is taking very high dosages of cortisone and at this point, his skin should have healed completely, which is not the case. He has new sores coming out and is still a little crusty. He's been put back under antibiotics since we suspect his skin is still infected.

I am just about to transfer Sam to BMDLuver who has accepted to take him on from now on. I cannot thank her enough for that, since my resources (time and money) have been exhausted. Sam should be with her by this coming Sunday, and I am sure she will keep us posted.

I'd like to thank everyone who supported me while I tried to help Sam. He's come a long way, thanks to you all.

Thank you Jenn, for saying yes.
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM
owned by Tucker

Wow he is starting to look like a BMD, it looks like it will be a long road but surprising how much better he looks already. Thanks to you for taking him on and now its great that BMDLuver is there for him. I wish I was allowed another dog, but where I live you can only have one:sad:
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for the update Inverness!!
Sam although like you say,is still sick:sad:,looks 99%better..
Thank you also to BMDlover for stepping in,you guys are wonderful as usual.
that Sam will soon be 100%,the beautiful BMD he should be
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Inverness for taking the time to fill us in. Sam looks soooo much better than he did. Hopefully with BMDLuver he'll make a full recovery and find a forever home. What a sweet heart he looks to be. What up with Sydney? I'll look and see if the other thread updated on him, and I don't want to ask too much of you, I know you're busy. I'll hope he's doing as well as Sam. Bless you all for all you do.
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Wow, Sam's new photos are amazing! He's made such progress. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on Sam's continued progress. I'm looking forward to meeting him finally.
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
-

Glad to see Sam looking so much better. A big thanks to Inverness for taking such good care of him.

And, I know he'll be in good hands with BMDLuver as well. We'll look forward to your updates.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Good luck to Mr Sam.