Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

There is a group that was formed to work on legislation with the ministry of agriculture. HSI and Montreal SPCA have members that are part of this ongoing meeting process. To date, they've succeeded in forcing more P42 inspectors but the whole province has to get in such an uproar about this that the ministry of agriculture has no choice but to do more and bring more bills to be passed. As usual, the legal wheel grinds slowly and the animals suffer while waiting.
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I seen the same photo's as everyone else, I also seen empty food/water bowls and their horrible conditions. If this doesn't constitute a seizure from AnimaQuebec then I don't know what will.

I do know that organizations that go in and don't have the power even by going to court they won't get too far. But picking up the mess and no one has to answer isn't going to help get our laws changed that's for sure.

And as far as AQ - if no one questions their motives to holding the P42 hostage then we have the answer don't we, it just keeps getting uglier.
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

some things are for the cameras......

LL has been feeding the animals for over a week prior to them going in so I doubt they would have been neglecting the dogs.

as for P42, I don't think that AQ will have the exclusivity for much longer.

let's take the case of one of the seizures from last fall....... guy releases all his dogs, pleads guilty, gets a $3000 fine, has "house pets" returned to him and is told he can't do it again for 3 years.........

Not much point in tying things up in court for such a pathetic hand slap....

Just wanted to say that this has gone a bit off topic with regards to helping the current dogs but if changing the laws helps the next lot then somehow we've helped.

Now everyone put on your thinking caps and help these huskies get amazing foster and adoption homes! They so deserve a break now!
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
some things are for the cameras......
Understatement!

As said, these dogs have been rescued and are now in good hands. Media attention will get the much needed funding, thankdawg.

All the while what an example this will be for all the other struggling muchers huh
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry, didn't mean to go off topic, I was just wondering what happened to the jerk that owned the poor dogs.

ok, a push now for new homes for these poor pets. thank you guys for explaining it to me.
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
see here, if a dog is skinny/emaciated a notice is sent to the owner to get vet care with in a week
An agent in Ontario can issue orders for the animal/s in question to receive Vet care within 30 minutes or less depending on the severity of the case/s...if this is not complied with, then they have the powers to seize on the spot.
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

is it possible to have this thread split up by the mods???? leaving the donation angle and moving from where dummy me started asking questions??? from about post #10 down
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM

For all intensive purposes, these dogs were surrendered, not seized. It is very difficult to seize an animal here.

unfortunatly here in QUebec we have very few inspectors, which will be changing very soon. also, to charge the owner, 'intent' must be proven. our government must change!
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

but in the meantime, these dogs must be helped by finding foster homes and giving donations
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Foster homes and rescues have been found. Dogs are all accounted for and are safe. All dogs thriving and alive. None euthanized. Donations to go to organizations that have taken them in. Also, donations to SPCA Ste-Agathe is welcomed as they had to incure crazy costs. Everything counts.

Thank you.
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,that's good news,giving the owner,who has no funds a huge fine,will really not help the dogs.
Hopefully they will now all thrive and soon become someones pet,that's all we can wish for.
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
BenMax,that's good news,giving the owner,who has no funds a huge fine,will really not help the dogs.
Hopefully they will now all thrive and soon become someones pet,that's all we can wish for.
The old blind boy that you saw is going to his forever home on Monday. A little skittish girl who was very weak has been vet checked and now in her forever home. 3 puppies will go into their forever home when ready. The SPCA involved has done a tremendous job (that would be you brianna whom I met) is also doing adoptions...and they keep coming.

The rescues involved have been amazing. People have been amazing. The husky community is like no other and I am overwhelmed with people offering support and a home to these dogs.

There is still work to be done, but I thought I would offer you a little inside news. I am truly humbled by this experience and now have new energy to continue trying to change our current laws.

Last edited by BenMax; November 19th, 2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added 'old'
Old November 21st, 2009, 07:22 PM
-

That is great news Benmax, thanks for the update
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Thumbs down

Melinda Question:
** I was just wondering what happened to the jerk that owned the poor dogs **
He is still living in the area and defending his *business* in the local paper for the last 2 weeks !!
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../12041906.html

If anyone can help with donations

rescued huskies in Ottawa

At least six of the 13 huskies rescued and brought to Ottawa last month aren’t pregnant after all.

The sled dogs were rescued Nov. 20 from a musher in southern Quebec who could no longer care for them. Rescuers with Humane Society International Canada found more than 100 dogs on the musher’s property, many of them pregnant.

The dogs were tethered to metal poles and doghouses on short leashes. They were malnourished and had little access to food or clean water. The bodies of dogs that had already died were scattered around the property.

The SPCA of Western Quebec was given three of the dogs. It turns out only one, named Abbey, is actually pregnant. An ultrasound has shown she will deliver eight puppies sometime next week.

Adoption co-ordinator Jennifer Montague says the Manotick family fostering Abbey are going to need some help keeping the puppies busy.

“The donations have been tremendous,” she said, “but we really are going to need puppy toys soon.”

But not just any puppy toys will do. Montague said huskies are super-chewers, so the toys would have to be exceptionally durable.

It’s the same story with the Bytown Association for Rescued Kanines (B.A.R.K.) which took in six of the dogs.

B.A.R.K. president Sharon McKeil says only two of the dogs turned out to be pregnant, one of which has already given birth to eight healthy pups. McKeil said the other dog will likely deliver next week.

In addition to puppy toys, McKeil says her organization is in dire need of money.

“We’ve got them on extremely good food, because the dogs were in pretty rough shape. The vet bills are mounting, but they’re doing OK now,” she said.

The remaining sled dogs were split up amongst a local Newfoundland rescue and the Westminster Pet Sanctuary, which has a sled dog named Amazing Grace.

Grace, who was also never pregnant, had surgery to remove cysts and a benign tumour from her ovaries.

To donate, call Montague at the SPCA of Western Quebec at 819-770-7722 or by e-mail at ahspca@storm.ca. Donations to B.A.R.K can be made by calling 613-738-0119 or e-mail at smckeil@primus.ca. The Westminster Pet Sanctuary can be reached via e-mail at kxo156@aol.com.

doug.hempstead@sunmedia.ca
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

a sweet friend of mine has been approved to become a husky mommy....way to go Mel!!!
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM
An Honest Contributor

That's wonderful news ... Nitro will have a bud, WTG Mel!
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so happy for her, what a great life that pup will have, flyball, agility, a loving brother to curl up with....wow
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
An Honest Contributor

Bark has 3 of the pregnant females, what litter is she waiting on, or is it one of Suri's pup's just born
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure

Last edited by Melinda; December 16th, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
An Honest Contributor

Wonderful! How does it work - does she get to pick or does Bark match up whose best with who? It's going to be sooo hard waiting for 10 weeks or so ... does she get to visit with the puppers during her wait?
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Contributor

She was approved by BARK to adopt a puppy as she is involved in dog sports and skijoring

Last edited by Melinda; December 16th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.