Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old July 6th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Roo sure has grown! Dashing young man w/that eye patch

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

In 37 years of owning the breed, Growler, he is only the second one we've had with a single eye patch, yet I've always liked that. This one here was our first, I bred him but because his colour was wrong, chocolate instead of red or blue, I gave him to my mother as a guard dog/companion, then he came back to us 7 years later when she went into a Nursing home. A handsome fellow and much loved. I named him Goldfields Chocolate Drop because his eye patch reminded me of the chocolate drops you can buy for dogs here - no chocolate in them most likely though.
Attached Images

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:47 PM

Chocolate Drop was also a handsome boy!

It's interesting to see the "off colours" that happen in different breeds sometimes, usually there isn't too much of a deviation from the "accepted standards" since it's been bred into them for so long.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

What I don't like about the off colours is that sometimes it comes with quite bad faults. Bad bites, heart problems etc..

Roo had me laughing this afternoon. I was weeding and there was a big Silverbeet plant that had popped up in amongst the roses. I thought I'd pull off the bigger leaves and maybe cook the rest. Well Roo grabbed a leaf from the trolley and didn't he have fun. He really liked the different textures, snapping bits off the stem, tearing the leaf apart, rolling on it. I had to give him about 4or 5 leaves before the novelty wore off. He didn't try to eat any, just wanted to crunch and tear. Now I have to clean up the mess he made.
Attached Images

Old July 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I love the way Roo crossed his paws when he is eating . I would if he like the juice in leaves and stems and chewing it for that reason. That is very interesting about cattle dogs having issues when their coloring is wrong. I read on line that the color of poodles fur made a difference in a dog temperament and I wondered if that is really true.
Old July 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

He's crossed his feet in case it gets away from him. LOL. Not really, but it looks like it. I think he liked the snap and crunch of it. I said to my hubby last night that it'd almost be worth buying him the ocassional bunch of silverbeet so he can have some more fun. I love the stuff anyway, so we could share it.
In the litter I got that chocolate dog, and another with chocolate along its back, I also got, in a sister I retained, dilated cardiomyopathy, which had not been found in my female line prior to that, to my knowledge anyway. Mum's dog, in the photo, had a bad bite, and funnily enough I saw a strange coloured Kelpie one time and it also had a bad bite. So, I have done the DNA colour test on Jarrah, and will do it on Roo also. She's fine, and I expect he will be also.
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Roo has matured quite a bit since the last photo's. He isn't quite ruling the roost the way he used to. Jarrah still plays but will chastise him now, and old Toby, my quietly alpha sheltie, as you can see, has little patience with him. I love the way Roo just lies there after a run-in with Toby, as if to say who else wants to have a go at me? Or maybe he lies there plotting his next approach?
Attached Images

Old August 17th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

You wouldn't think a sheltie could scare him, such a big strong boy.
Attached Images

Old August 18th, 2013, 10:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He's such a respectful boy to listen to the shelties!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Fingers crossed he stays that way too. When Jarrah comes in season I will have to be careful because the boys get snarky with each other. Wish I'd had time to get her down to Ballarat to have her hips and elbows x rayed, because if that doesn't look OK she'd be speyed. Then it'd remain one big happy family.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Roo has matured quite a bit since the last photo's. He isn't quite ruling the roost the way he used to. Jarrah still plays but will chastise him now, and old Toby, my quietly alpha sheltie, as you can see, has little patience with him. I love the way Roo just lies there after a run-in with Toby, as if to say who else wants to have a go at me? Or maybe he lies there plotting his next approach?
The photo of Roo lying on his back is great, he is growing to be a very handsome boy. Marty will lie on his side when he want a dog to play with him I am rather concerned about that now as if Marty was lying down when he was attack the outcome could had been a lot worst.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a submissive position so doesn't that mean the attacking dog will not be as aggressive as it would if they were standing face to face?
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
That's a submissive position so doesn't that mean the attacking dog will not be as aggressive as it would if they were standing face to face?
I wish I knew , Marty was bitten in his cute little butt and there is nothing aggressive about his butt.

I saw cattle dog a few weeks ago and they're beautiful dogs.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Love the pics of Roo, I don't think he's afraid of Toby, he's just learned to be respectful. Nikki is like that with Halo. He could pummel her, but when she snarls at him he hits the floor as flat as he can. I think Roo is a clever fellow to be respecting Toby and the others. His day will come and he fully knows it.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Cattle dogs go through a fear period at about his age, DD. It's probably good in fact that he's not still at Obedience. Having a giggle at the thought of big macho Nikki doing the cringe when Halo ticks him off. LOL. Actually, a good cattle dog would not consider roughing up a small dog, they seem to know that they are not a threat, therefore treat them as a joke.
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Well GF if you think him cringing at Halo is funny you should have seen him cowering from the little maltese in obedience! He really is a very gentle soul that dog. Big, but gentle. He doesn't have a clue (yet) that he's a very large, powerful dog. I think that's a blessing, I hope it lasts.

Okay, I shouldn't say he doesn't have a clue, he does like to boss Lupa around now, she did all the bossing before, but now they argue over stuff and she ends up on the bottom.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor

You should get a photo of him with the Maltese, DD, that'd be even funnier than Roo and the shelties. LOL.Very cold again here today but does Roo care? Course not. Still galloping laps around my cockatoos aviary, making a nice old mess, so I thought I'd stop that by laying a couple of garden chairs on their sides. Ha!! Leapt straight over them twice, didn't he? So now there are extra chairs but standing up. He was allowed time on the bed after he dried and boy, doesn't he like that luxury. I have to literally drag him off it.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

GF , Roo it a real character , you could write a book about him.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, he is a bit of a personality, but that's cattle dogs for you. Once you have owned one you find it's hard to live without them. My hubby was complaining today that (evil wild child) Roo is nothing like (sensible well behaved) Perkins was, but I explained, they aren't related. This pup was sent along to liven up our old age I think.
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a couple pics of the dogs at obedience on my cell I'll try to download soon. Roo does sound like the dickens! Seems we each have our own clown prince! I'll bet he likes the bed - why wouldn't he? That's why I won't let ours on the bed, I know we'd never be allowed on it again ourselves! lol
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like Roo really likes the cooler weather, GF! Our guys always get rowdier when the temps are lower....well, at least until we hit about -15° F--then they just hide inside with the humans!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Roo was the last dog to be with Jarrah, so his/her scent is attracting attention from the shelties. Roo is so happy they are flirting and being nice to him. LOL. He is not so sure how to take some of it, like Matthew's habit of tugging on the coat - some males do that to see if a female will stand to be mated. Roo should be concerned.
Attached Images

Old September 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Roo has filled out very nicely, he is a handsome boy. How old is Roo now?
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

run, roo, run!!

Old September 21st, 2013, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

He does run, Hazel, but generally not from the shelties. More like at them.

Barkingdog, he's a bit over 10 months now, he might be finished growing upwards now and start filling out. His breeder has a couple of lovely male pups for sale, a red and a lovely blue pup. Good thing I can't let myself be tempted, we've had so much fun with Roo but he'll have to do for the next 14+ years I think.
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

And I am having fun watching Roo grow up here . I really get a kick out of Roo. I am over him!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad you enjoy the boy. He had a following at Obedience too, and has a big one on Facebook. Good thing he doesn't realise or his head would swell. LOL. I love him and really bless the day we bought Jarrah her toy boy.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Roo is really enjoying being in with the sheltie boys for exercise while Jarrah is out of bounds, and I must say I'm liking his reactions when one of those boys annoy him. Just a quick growl and no further action. I do still have to watch him with Dundee though. Dundee's had aggression issues in the past due to being hypothyroid, and he wants Roo's Cuz ball so bad. Now, tell me, when there are two Cuz balls out there, why would he want Roo's? Isn't that typical? What's yours is mine. Anyway, Bo is fine to flirt and play with, Matthew is not allowed to get familiar, and my little Toby is to be feared. LOL.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

When I took my Standard Poodle to the woods to play ball Finlay would bring his tennis ball and carry it the whole time . If he saw another dog with a tennis ball Finlay wanted that dog ball too and Finlay would wait for the other dog to drop their and he would pick it. Then Finlay would try to pick up his ball too , but he was never able to get 2 balls I his mouth at once. It was very fun to watch. I think dogs are just like kid when it come to their toys .
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Great pics of the boys GF. The last one looks like Roo was just told off.

Nikki is a hoarder - I have three nyla-bones out there and he wants them all, if Lupa has one he'll stand over her growling until he can snatch it. Mostly now I have to take them away as I don't a fight.