Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Dog Freezes To Death

http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/cfcf

Dog freezes to death
There's another disturbing case of animal cruelty in the Monteregie -- the second in less than a month.
During a week where we saw record breaking cold temperatures, a Burmese Mountain dog was left outside for days.
It froze to death.
Neighbours say the family went to Cuba last weekend, and left their dog in the backyard with food and water, but no shelter.
"The people abandoned him," said Linda Robertson of the SPCA Monteregie. "They left on a holiday. They're going down to a warm climate where they're going to be in the sun, and here this dog is suffering from the cold."
On Monday, a neighbour heard the dog crying throughout the night as temperatures dropped into the minus thirties. She called the SPCA the next afternoon.
"When she called us at 3:00 o'clock, she told us she thought the dog was dead," said Robertson. "It was too late for us to do anything."

One neighbour told CTV News she believes the family had asked someone to come take care of the dog, but that person never showed up. However the SPCA
says the family never should have left the dog chained outside in the first place.
"We're going to do whatever is necessary to prosecute these people and hold them accountable," said Robertson.

Neighbour Serge Benoit couldn't agree more. He even took digital photos of the dead dog, in case they could be helpful in a court case.
"I think people should take more responsibility for man's best friend," said
Benoit.
Provincial police officers are investigating, which means the owners could face charges of animal cruelty when they get back from their vacation.
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Doggie Wench

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Flyball Mom

How could anyone be so stupid!?!?!?

But why, oh why, didn't one of the neighbours bring him inside?

Poor fella.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Too bad their house doesn't fall down while they are away. Race to the bridge baby where the sun is shining and it is warm....
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Animal Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post

But why, oh why, didn't one of the neighbours bring him inside?

Poor fella.
makes you think that the neighbours are just as bad as the owners!

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Live well, laugh often

Stupid freakin people . Both the family and the neighbors .
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Why???:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
There is just no need for that kind of thing to happen.
And WHY did the neighbour wait until 3 o' clock to call someone when she heard it crying all night?

Poor guy....so sad.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quins-mum View Post
makes you think that the neighbours are just as bad as the owners!
You bet ! That dog would have been in my house sooo fast. :sad:
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
You bet ! That dog would have been in my house sooo fast. :sad:

Ditto. Why wait until he had quieted (died) to call the SPCA?

This just proves that the world is full of stupid people.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I had to change the channel when they previewed this on the news last night. Could anything be sadder. I wish I knew where these people live, they deserve to be publicly shamed.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I wish I knew where these people live, they deserve to be publicly shamed.
Did they at least name the city where it happened ?
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

It was somewhere around here, the local news reported it. Maybe one of our moles in the SPCA could find out and we could get some paint sniffers - sorry, young artists - to go in and tag their house. They're still in Cuba, but someone will have told them by now, I expect. Wouldn't it be great if they arrested them at the airport. The excuse will be - and may sink any prosecution - that a friend had promised to take care of the dog, and then went off his medication.
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog freezes to death

I think it was a town called St-Anne de ...... I have never heard of it.

This story makes me so mad. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I know, I know they weren't thinking. For less than $200.00 they could have had this dog boarded in a kennel. They probably didn't want to spend the money. It is going to cost them a great deal more in lawyers fees I hope.

And what is with that neighbor who did nothing. If my neighbor left their dog outside overnight and it was crying I would bring him in the house. Heck it wouldn't have to cry I would bring it in.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:59 AM

I agree with everyone and my first thought when reading it, was why didn't the neighbours do anything. I would have called the spca/police, taken pics and then brought the dog inside, if I couldn't bring it into my home I would have broken into the owners home(of course my punishment would probably be worse than theirs ) Doesn't matter if someone was suppose to come by or not, he/she shouldn't have been outside in the first place.:sad:
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG:sad: :sad: :sad: It makes me sooo angry,the neighbor for not caring enough(he would have been in my basement in no time),the owners for beeing heartless morons.
Since they did not care enough to make sure he would be safe and warm,I doubt they care he froze to death
OG,how I hate some people
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

How sad. The neighbour isn't much better than the owner in my opinion. How on earth you could listen to a dog wimpering through out the night knowing how cold it was and knowing the owners were away and then not calling the SPCA until 3:00 the next afternoon....incredible.

We had a neighbour who had a beautiful yellow lab. This poor dog they had gotten as a cute puppy, who quickly grew into a large hard to control puppy, so as a result he was tied up outside all day and then brought in at night to sleep. That dog would bark from the time they got home until he got fed and then all evening until they would finally bring him in. His name was Brandy and he was a very pretty dog. All he needed and wanted was attention. These neighbours decided to take a trip to Florida, in July of all times, I guess because it was cheap, anyway, just like these people, they left Brandy tied up outside in the July heat with the understanding that someone was coming by every day to feed and water the dog. That wasn't good enough in my opinion and I called the SPCA the first day they were gone. The dog dumped his water dish right after the person who came by to feed and water him left and I wasn't going to let that dog suffer outside in that heat with no water. I had a dog at the time that hated other dogs, so I couldn't take him in myself. The SPCA took the dog and the owners had a heck of a time getting him back. They did however get him back, and have long since moved. I've often wondered whatever happened to that sweet dog.

Cindy
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
N/A

It is believed by many I think that they will be called as a witness if they make a report of cruelty. Nobody wants to have or make trouble, so it seems easier to not get involved and just mind our own business.
Please if you hear or see any type of cruelty make the call, all calls are confidential and the Animal Officer does follow up on all complaints.

Your call today can make the difference in regards to cruelty...remember together we can make a difference, the animals need your voice. :love:
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
I think it was a town called St-Anne de ...... I have never heard of it.
Ste-Anne-de-Sabrevois. Some 10-15minutes after St. Jean. It's a small rural town and apparently the neighbour had contacted police (I don't think there are any stations in this town) and her city hall. She was told that it could take until the next day before someone could check up on the dog. She had tried to get the dog but he bit her out of fear. The following day, she left work at noon to check up on the situation and she found the dog had died. Unfortunately, she was only given the SPCA's number after the fact. She was extremely distraught.

From what I know, I think she really did try but didn't know what other resources were available to help in a situation such as this.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Ste-Anne-de-Sabrevois. Some 10-15minutes after St. Jean.
Not too far from my place. I hope the owners all get explosive diaria in Cuba.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Something obscure that requires weeks of painful treatment. Since it's a small place, they'll probably get some grief from people they know. Good!
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Furbaby Momma,you are soo right,the animals cannot save themselves,we have to get involved.
Do I care if a stranger,or a friend gets mad at me?
Absolutely NOT,as long as an innocent animal is suffering no more.
This poor BMD unfortunately did not have anyone who cared enough:sad:
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Absolutely Chico2. My neighbours knew I had made the call and I didn't care that they knew or that they hated me for it. Anyone who teated an animal that way wasn't the type of person I'd care to have for a friend. Even the neighbours directly next door to me, whom I do get along with and quite like, haven't got a clue when it comes to animals. They were so happy they had caught a huge rat in a live trap in their yard, they were trying to catch the groundhogs that destroy their garden. I took a look at the so called rat and it was a possum. They were going to leave it in that cage with no food or water for 4 days before they could drive it out to the country to let it go....I told them what it was and to either let it go or take it to animal control so they could re-home it, although I pointed out to them that the possum was not doing them any harm. They let it go, they didn't speak to me for a few days, but they're fine now and hopefully they know better now.

Cindy
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
-

French quebecers just caught up with this story (better late than never) it's in "Le Journal de Montreal" (haven't had time to check it out yet) I heard Claude Poirier (radio spoke person) wants a name , he said it's soo discusting, he wants to find out who are the dog's owner and and wats everybody to know their name !!! Also, at another radio station, Peter Mc Leod talked about it too, saying if these people have the $$ to go on vacation, they could have put the dog in a kennel, and if they have kids, what kind of lessons these kids are getting !!! Let's leave the dog outside ! And he pleaded with people to call if they see something, to not be afraid to put a complaint.
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

This is excellent!! The nosier those radio hosts are, the better I like it. Once they're actually charged, I just hope the police publish their names, as with anyone else charged with a hateful crime. If they seal that information (fearing angry mobs), it shouldn't be difficult for a good journalist (or even a bad one) to find out.
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM
N/A

Wow, Great news Frenchy!
I am so happy that Claude Poirier and Peter Mc Leod are using their radio voices for the animals.

No animal deserves to suffer, so lets all work together to make a difference by making the call when any living being is being treated badly.

Everyone please take the time today to find out where to call in your town or city when and if you ever need to make a cruelty call.

I feel the same way as you do Chico2 and Clm...any person that treats another living being with cruelty, is not a person I care to highly for.
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Stupid freakin people . Both the family and the neighbors .
I agree. This is unbelievable and soooo sad. :sad:

I hope something comes out of the radio hosts efforts and that justice is served.
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Half Way To Crazy

classife justice?? what would the penilty be that would be harsh enough?
I don't think there is one.
what you can't own any dogs or animals any more? and a fine (big deal) it not hard enough it's like a slap on the wrist !! if they can aford to go away they won't care about a fine
and what about the person who was supose to take care of the dog ??
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Animal Nut!

The thing that really get to me is that when the owners returned and if the dog was still alive, it would have been so exicted to see them!
Animals are at our mercy, they love us unconditionally....some people just dont give a ****

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog freezes to death

I was at a car dealer tonight talking about buying a new car explaining that I needed one big enough for 3 golden retrievers. Imagine I am going to spend thousands on a new car to accomodate my two and a foster dog. I must be nuts, anyhow we got on the subject of dogs and the dog that froze to death. I told the salesperson that this happened last week and she told me it was in today's La Presse or Journal. I thought it may be another dog that froze to death, thankfully it was the same dog only the news was late in the French papers.
I am glad that the media is making a big deal of this. Hopefully the people who were so callous and allowed this dog to freeze to death will be made an example of and others will think twice before doing this.
A while back someone contacted me about surrendering their dog. They threatened if I didn't take it right away they would leave it alone in the house for a week because they were going on vacation.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
A while back someone contacted me about surrendering their dog. They threatened if I didn't take it right away they would leave it alone in the house for a week because they were going on vacation.
This was similar to my very first rescue. I had to leave work and rush over to this woman's house because she threatened to throw the dog out on to the street if no one came to get her right away. She was appalled at the suggestion that she bring her dog to the shelter and asked "What kind of service is this?" Once I safely had the dog, I explained that in her case, I was providing a service to the dog; to safely get it away from someone so ignorant as herself!