Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I don't have any additional advice - but good luck! Sounds like you're making more and more progress all the time!
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW 14+,he is adorable(aren't they all0but this little guy looks just like my Rocky when he was a baby,a wee little tabby baby
I am sooooo happy the have you to look out for them
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
WOW 14+,he is adorable(aren't they all0but this little guy looks just like my Rocky when he was a baby,a wee little tabby baby
I am sooooo happy the have you to look out for them
That little one touched a spot in me too, Chico. He is just so tiny.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Meg.....where are you?
This little one is Tiny Tim. I have a very strong suspicion he will be a house cat right here. Even hubby checked him a couple of times through the night.
He is probably about 6 inches from head to tail. So tiny. Yep, I know, I fell hard.
OH MY!!!
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

First pic shows how little Tiny Tim is. My sandal is a size 7.
Second is Chip and Dale. They both have a double line of light brown on their back like chipmunks so I thought Chip and Dale works. Chip is male, Dale is female.
Third one is Chip taking a round out of Tiny Tim.
Oh yeah, they are in the house. Momma tried moving them out. 19 acres is just too much for me to search right now.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Were you able to get momma too?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Were you able to get momma too?
No ancient. But that was not going to be possible anyway. I have the other momma in here with her kittens and Mylee is in so with the new kitties there is 8 of them in here. The mom is way too feral. With the first momma I got lucky. I knew it wasn't going to happen with this one. Plus I have no beds left. The one dog crate the kittens can walk right through the bars. Kind of makes them being in a crate an oxymoron, right? It is amusing but..

I am hoping once Taz is fixed I can set the live trap up again and hopefully this momma will co operate this time. I will have to wait a couple of weeks though for her milk to dry up.

Old May 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

OMG they are adorable!!
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
No ancient. But that was not going to be possible anyway. I have the other momma in here with her kittens and Mylee is in so with the new kitties there is 8 of them in here. The mom is way too feral. With the first momma I got lucky. I knew it wasn't going to happen with this one. Plus I have no beds left. The one dog crate the kittens can walk right through the bars. Kind of makes them being in a crate an oxymoron, right? It is amusing but..

I am hoping once Taz is fixed I can set the live trap up again and hopefully this momma will co operate this time. I will have to wait a couple of weeks though for her milk to dry up.
Well, at least you got the kittens. Hopefully you'll be able to catch momma soon and get her fixed. You're on kitty overload right now At least it's a cute overload.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
150% PRO S/N

I know ancient, but seriously, when am I not on kitty overload? It's just the size of the kitties. I am not complaining. There is just this stupid work thing that gets in the way. Good thing I do that from home.
Yep BeagleMom, I gotta agree.

Old May 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
-

ohhh , I love the last picture where they're playing / fitting together
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I'd just like to say whew! you are a champion. I find the boys a huge challenge, I can't imagine dealing with two litters of kittens as well.
Do you mean to say that the mother cat who is already enjoying your five-star hospitality has welcomed the feral babies?
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Well, I'd just like to say whew! you are a champion. I find the boys a huge challenge, I can't imagine dealing with two litters of kittens as well.
Do you mean to say that the mother cat who is already enjoying your five-star hospitality has welcomed the feral babies?
I wish badger! Nope, she hisses and growls at them. I have to watch her like a hawk. But she has been attacking Mylee too once in a while. They will play really well for a bit and then the mom just goes ballistic on Mylee. So I have to put her back in the crate I have for her and her babies.
I have 2 large dog crates set up in the kitchen. They work great for this. The kitties get their play times and socializing and when it's nap time or I can't be in with them they can go in the crates. I also have one of those huge carriers meant for air travel that a friend lent me. The new kitties are in it and I am keeping an eagle eye.
They have all eaten a good amount of food and had some kitten replacement milk and there is water available for them. I will probably get up a few times during the night to check them. Who needs sleep?

Frenchy - I like that too. It was even more fun watching it.

Old May 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

Sweet pic of 'Tiny Tim'-ahhh... I am soooo with you in spirit in terms of dealing with a ferally challenging scenario. I'm also glad that you are so ferally (okay, that's it!) experienced; as I found out along the way Alley Cat Allies etc. have some good TNR advice website-wise but managing even a small colony seems to involve using common sense and knowledge of cats in general, combined with just going with the flow i.e.being creative/figuring out what works.

Great to hear about your s/n record...hope your vet gives you a break (I found a good/less expensive vet in my area, but it still adds up, huh?!). When I think about the $$ with some pain , I just concentrate on the litters that will NOT be born because of the $ spent!

Although I always had inside cats, I've been amazed by how much I've learned (although I'm still a novice compared to some of the cat 'gurus' I've met or spoken to!) from 'les ferals'. I'm normally a bit impatient and impulsive, so needless to say I have acquired a much more sloooow and patient manner working with feral cats!

I still shriek at my nutty ponies when they paw and rub on fences, then drop to an oh-so-soothing tone for WW and MiniMan! Those two black beauty 'friendly ferals' are actually pretty used to my pony-hollering by now; they just sort of wait for me to finish before coming up to visit .

Anyhow, enough self-prattle...I've found this BB to be a great support throughout my feral saga thus far, and hope that you feel similarily . Even when there are no hard and fast answers, it's nice not to be in some sort of isolated vacuum! I'm sending you and your cats , and I'll tell WW and MM to do the same . Hang in there!

p.s. maybe we can form a feral support group , or even just swap trapping tips?!
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Well, that sucked. I just spent the last 10 minutes typing a reply and hit the wrong darned button. Now the reply is floating somewhere in never never land. my fat fingers!
Kashtin'skin - I would love to talk to you about your experiences. I have read a lot of your posts since I have joined and have been amazed at what you do. You are a real saviour to all those kitties.
Actually, you sound a lot like me with the shrieking. I tend to do that occasionally. Am trying to get better with age. I keep saying my kitties keep me sane. They make me sit and cuddle when I go to feed them. In fact, they demand their cuddles!
You are right. This BB is fantastic for helping with ideas and just for bolstering you up when you are feeling bad.
As for s/n - Luba got me in touch with a rescue in TO (not sure I can mention them here) for which I will be forever grateful. Cost was very reasonable. If it wasn't for this forum I would never have found out about the rescue.
Please feel free to PM me with any ideas or about the support group idea. I would be interested in talking more about that.
I have got to get this worn out body to bed. It has been a long day.

Old May 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Great idea. One I thought of yesterday. I brought a couple of the kittens to the house to show hubby and momma reacted very violently toward them. Hissing, trying to scratch at them. She was in her crate so was unable to harm them.
sorry bad idea, scratch that (no pun intended )

for catching mum, has she come back to the greenhouse? can you shut her in for as long as the milk drying takes? or any chance to live trap her now to reunite her & her kittens in a spare room?

kitties so cute

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:45 AM
150% PRO S/N

Spare room? I wish! As it is I am fighting with stepson who has allergies and blames every sniffle on the kittens. He doesn't realize it's the seasonal stuff that's getting him.
As for live trapping - Taz is in the trap until we take her to get fixed tomorrow. After that, yep, it's getting set up again. I am really hoping I can get her soon. I just have to work hard at it. Then we can figure out a way to reunite.
The kitties made it through the night and have all eaten this morning. That is good. The tiny one likes to be held to eat. In fact, he doesn't seem to want to eat any other way. Now they are back to sleep again. Wow, it's tough being a kitten momma.

Old May 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,all baby-animals are cute,even Alligatorsbut kittens just tug at the heartstrings
I hope mom cat is not too upset for loosing her babies and that she is not out there feeling amorous again
Love the names Chip and Dale and Tiny Tim..
My Rocky too was the runt of the litter from a barncat mom,but he certainly grew,Tiny Tim will too,in your loving hands
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
150% PRO S/N

Chico - I am hoping so. I have already told hubby that he is staying. Hubby isn't impressed but he will get used to it. Thank you for that little kitty! He looks just like Tiny Tim!

I have momma! The saga continues.....................

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....296#post591296

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 10th, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Talking

Hmmm, '14+k's'...maybe feral carers like us all have the Fat Finger Curse; I've wiped out more than one terribly amusing/unique post after a long typing session by hitting the wrong bleeping button . I usually weep in that case, as opposed to my more common response of shrieking-simply because I'm too tired by this point .

It does sound like we live in parallel universes, filled with challenging feral dramas: the crates and cages/the myriad cat toys and play/cave boxes/perhaps a livetrap or two/mountains of cat found...and of course, numerous cats/kittens. I was always a critter person with an obsession with horses and ponies; somehow I morphed into Cat Chick (just so long as I don't eventually end up living in some REALLY decrepit house with too many felines to count, and a tiny pension cheque ).

Gotta love those kitten pics above, with the mega-ahhhhh factor. Tootoo cute for words. I only learned how to post pics because of the [kind!] pressure of the BB members to "get some pictures for us"! ...We'll definitely have to pm on matters feral; like you, I've been lucky enough to be able to connect with some feral folk, but I live a bit far from them, and it'd be nice to have a BB feral contact for brainstorming/therapy etc.!

p.s. glad that one more decision is not looming re: when to nab kittens...see, things do just develop on their own, to some extent!

Last edited by kashtin's kin; May 10th, 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I only have one minute on the computer so I can't read all the new posts but i want to say THEY ARE SOOOOOOO CUTE 14+ gotta go.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
~Cat Servent~

ooooooooo!!!! Teeny kittens!!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtin's kin View Post
somehow I morphed into Cat Chick (just so long as I don't eventually end up living in some REALLY decrepit house with too many felines to count, and a tiny pension cheque ).

My biggest fear.

like you, I've been lucky enough to be able to connect with some feral folk, but I live a bit far from them, and it'd be nice to have a BB feral contact for brainstorming/therapy etc.!

We are about an hour and a half away from TO where we take the kittens to get fixed. It's a drive but well worth it for the money saved. They do a wonderful job there too. I took my males to a place closer to us that was reasonable for price. My last little boy came home with his back end covered in blood and still smelling very strongly of anesthetic. It was quite obvious he had only been done a while before I picked him up. l was not impressed! That vet will not see my again.

p.s. glad that one more decision is not looming re: when to nab kittens...see, things do just develop on their own, to some extent!
Funny how that happens. I am quite sure there will be another conundrum along soon. There are still a couple of ferals running free (with litters).

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I only have one minute on the computer so I can't read all the new posts but i want to say THEY ARE SOOOOOOO CUTE 14+ gotta go.
Thank you L4H for making your one minute on the comp catching up with my story. New pics coming soon. But not tonight. It has been a very very long day.

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
ooooooooo!!!! Teeny kittens!!!!
Yep kr, you are right. I think as soon as I can get him back from momma he is going to the vet for a check up. I am not sure how healthy the little gaffer is. :sad: But he sure stole my heart fast.

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I love them all, but I can see why Tiny Tim has stolen your heart. What a little cutie.

Cindy
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I love them all, but I can see why Tiny Tim has stolen your heart. What a little cutie.

Cindy
He is. Funny little story... I went out to check on them tonight. Tiny Tim was sitting about 6 or 7 inches from mom. She had other 2 attached to her. Tiny Tim looked like he was going to move to come over to see me. She put her paw on his tail and meowed. Like.....no, you stay here. It was so cute. She "protects" her kitties well from the crazy lady.

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would keep Tiny Tim too, much to cute to allow anybody else to have him

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,that's sounds so cute,mom protecting her baby from that terrible human who probably saved their lives
I hope the bigger kittens let Tiny have a go at the milkstation too
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I hope the bigger kittens let Tiny have a go at the milkstation too
I was thinking the same thing. Tiny Tim is such a cutie, not that they all aren't, but he's got something really special. I do hope you keep him.