Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Banned Temporarily

Question Nuetered Dog

I have a foster dog at the moment he is male a Shih tzu and the vet says that he was neutered before I had ever found him that or his testicals never came down. I also have a female Pup in my house she is mine not a foster and she is 5 months old and I know traditionaly you dont get the dog "fixed" until they are 6 month of age. Ashton(the male) has never offered to bother Emie(the female) sexually before. Yesterday my roomate caught him on top of her humping. I thought that neutering your dog was supposed to calm them down, they wont chase after girls in heat and so on... I am assuming he cant get her pregnant even if it was that his testicals didnt come down. The vet never came out and directly said that but I think thats a fair assumption. So could she have went into heat earlier than expected and him know it because he wasnt actually neutered and his testicals never came down. Would that make his man senses still be there? lol She was traumatized after that happened and laid around all day after that,when she is usually very hyper. I feel horrible for her but she was feeling a little more spunky today but drop to the floor and rolls over every time he gets close. I thought he was neutered so I didnt worry about him doing that but now Im worried. Please if anyone has any advice let me know. Thanks
(Sorry if theres misspelled words, this should have spellcheck! )
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
-

Is the foster dog neutered or not ??
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

very easy to flip him over and look for a scar...or close your eyes, concentrate and feel for the scar, oh and ask your room mate if they were "locked"
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Pretty easy to check to see if he's been fixed. Feel. If you can feel "marbles" (seeing as he's a small dog. I would have said prunes for a bigger dog) inside the sac then he was not fixed. If you can't feel anything inside the sac then yes, he was fixed and is acting on instinct. If your girl is in heat then it would be a normal thing for him to do.
How old is he? At what age was he neutered? Was he used for stud before being neutered? That would all have a bearing on how he may react to a female.
Meanwhile - keep them separated until you know for sure.
This is something that should have been talked about before bringing him home when you have a female who has not been spayed yet. Then you could have taken the appropriate measures to ensure this did not happen. IF by chance he is not neutered I would hope you would do the responsible thing and not allow your puppy to have a litter. She would be much too small and young. Please abort for her sake.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper, who is a cat and not a dog, was neutered late in life by the SPCA. I think he may have been used as a stud kitty for various reasons I won't go into here. Anyways, when my foster females went into heat, he went right into action with them , even though he was neutered. My vet said he is reacting to the what he knows when he smells the girls in heat, purely instinct.

But, just in case your foster is not neutered, you may want to take your female in to get spayed just in case she is pregnant.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Banned Temporarily

I took him to the vet because he was dropped off to get his shots and so forth and the vet felt of him and said that he thought he was neutered but he couldnt make 100% positive. He said that his testicals might have not ever came down which would make him I would think not able to produce if you know what I mean anyway. Yes I will get her fixed soon. I always thought they had to be atleast 6 months before they would go into heat. She is only 5 months and a few day 23 weeks. I dont know if he was used as a stud because he is a foster and I found him. I am currently looking for him a new home. I DO NOT want her to have a litter of puppies. She is much to young now I know I had never planned on her having any either when I got her the plan was to get her spayed as soon as she was old enough. Some told me to wait until she went into heat once and some told me I should do it before she went into heat. Is there anyway that I could tell if she has or not? I have another female but she was spayed as soon as she was old enough and I never had a problem with this. So... Im not really sure what to do. They were kept seperate just because he was a new dog but after I had him checked out and shots given and they said he couldnt produce pups I let them play together supervised but she said she turned her head and looked back and he was on top of her. I think she said that he was "in" but I will make sure and ask her again. I hate to abort puppies it sound so inhumane but I dont want her to have any. I guess its even worse to let her have some at such a young age!
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emie&Mila View Post
I hate to abort puppies it sound so inhumane but I dont want her to have any. I guess its even worse to let her have some at such a young age!
I know it does, but trust me, your sweet pup just wants to be a pup, not a mom. Plus, it may jeopardize her health and the puppies. and there are way too many dogs in the world

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Banned Temporarily

Oh trust me I know! Some people were wanting me to breed her and sell the pups and I was like nope its better for her to not have puppies and if they want one they can go to a shelter!
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

these are the signs of a female in heat,,has your little one shown any of these signs.

Here are the signs to look out for:

1. as her season is approaching your bitch wants to attract suitable fathers for her offspring. She is interested in getting as many offers as possible and because of that she starts leaving messages everywhere. She does this by peeing whenever possible, leaving a very attractive smell to be picked up by male dogs. As males read her message they may start showing up in front of your house, so you need to be careful not to let her out into the yard on her own.

2. her vagina starts to swell and she starts to shed blood

3. the season of a female dog usually lasts for 21 days but exceptions are always possible.

You will know when it is over when the swelling goes away completely and the bleeding stops

The most important fact to be aware of is this:

During those 21 days your bitch will want to mate with a suitable male. Her fertile days may vary from three to approximately five days within that 21 day period. Those are the days when you need to be extra careful.

How can you recognize them?

The size of the vagina will increase even more and the bleeding will stop. If you put your hand on her back she will lift her tail and move it to the side.

If a male dog approaches her now she will encourage him to play with her and show him her back side, encouraging him to cover her. Some girls get very active, leaving home to find a suitable mate.

When the fertile days are over the bleeding will return for the remaining days. Male dogs will still be attracted to her because most of them are inexperienced when it comes to reading the signs. Because her fertile days are over she will react to their offers in anything but a friendly manner, chasing them off vigorously.
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Banned Temporarily

When he get close to her she drops to the floor and rolls over so she is anything but inviting. I havnt notice any bleeding but when I get home I will check her out and see how she looks. Thanks that really helps a lot. So if she isnt showing these signs she probably isnt in heat so she couldnt have gotten pregnant?
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emie&Mila View Post
Oh trust me I know! Some people were wanting me to breed her and sell the pups and I was like nope its better for her to not have puppies and if they want one they can go to a shelter!
I love you

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

male dogs will sometimes mount and hump other dogs, male or female as a sign of dominance. your female rolling over showing her belly sounds like a sign of submission,,but please do check her to make sure she's not in heat. And no if she's not in heat then she can't get pregnant...also if the two didn't lock together ( end up butt to butt) then it sounds more like dominance than mating.
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Banned Temporarily

I will definetly check her! Thanks so much for your help it definetly eases the worry! I just want what's best for her. And thanks Love4Himies, animals can be taking advantage of very easily and I have made it a point in my life to try and protect them!
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

It is not as common but neutered males can mount and tie with mounted females. Puppies should not result but dogs can transmit diseases this way and it is rude so you should take immediate steps to strongly discourage this behaviour. In your case, since you are not sure if the male is indeed neutered and you are not sure if you can recognize a heat in your girl (it's not always obvious) my suggestion is you keep them apart. Cryptorchid dogs are not necessarily sterile.

As said above mounting is not always sexual in nature. Some times it is dominance and it can just be something the dog enjoys. Both boys and girls, neutered or not, can mount and hump. It is not an action reserved for only intact boys.

You need a Vet who can tell you for sure if the boy is neutered. If he is retaining both testicles then he needs to be neutered. He's only 5 months old, sometimes they will drop late but if they don't he is at increased risk of some ailments especially cancer. Your Vet should be able to palpate and find the testicles, if they are retained.

As for "fixing" either the boy or the girl, yes the traditional age has been about 6 months. More and more though, as we learn from reseach into the risks as well as the benefits of altering, advice is being given to wait till more like a year or even 2 or 3 years in the bigger breeds. With the situation in your household you may not have this luxury but here is some reading that may shed some light on why more and more of us are waiting till later. Some breeders will build the requirement to wait till later and allow the dog to mature physically into their health guarantees. If your own girly pup is from a breeder you should check your health guarantee.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf...ma.231.11.1665

The two links above give a lot of information on the risks and benefits of altering your boy and girl dog. If you are interested in reading more PM me for an extensive list of other articles on the subject.

Good luck with your foster and your own little girl pup.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Banned Temporarily

Thank you for the links. The male is about 2 years old the girl is the 5 month old. He has no visible testicals. The doctor just didnt know if he had been altered or the testicals never came down. However, I felt last night and could not feel anything. Thanks Again
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM

As a few have said both female and male dogs can and do mount other dogs to show dominance. I had a spayed female and neutered male for 12 years and she used to mount him when she wanted to tell him she didn't like what he was doing. It was hilarious to watch because she behaved like the bitch she was toward him each time he paid attention to another dog. She was the queen of the house, we had 4 cats as well, and she kept them all in line by showing them that she was the dominant member of the pack. With the cats she'd push them apart with her nose whenever they were play fighting and her treatment of our male dog reminded me much of husband and wife. They were the best of friends too but she was definitely 'alpha' in the pack

The fact that your puppy is showing her belly to him shows that she accepts him as the dominant member of the pack IMHO.