Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM

New puppy girl!

Hello all,
This seems like a great place to share information. I got my puppy about a week ago from the SPCA. They said she was 6-weeks when she came to the shelter (according to the people who brought the litter in). Her mum was a 50lb lab and her dad unknown. She's very small. She's now apparently 8-weeks old and weighs about 6.5lb. I am crate training her and trying to absorb as much info as I can and employ patience that I know will pay off. I must say she's very smart. She knows her name and how to sit on the word and a hand signal. I fully credit her for that!

I was walking her on a leash and recently read that I shouldn't be exercising her too much. She has so much energy sometimes. It almost looks, as she's getting older that she might have some terrier in her. She's only had two accidents in the house in 10 days and is a great little pup, except!!! When playing, she bites me and growls. She grabs my clothing and growls and rips and gets worse when I tell her not to. I say "Stop it" and redirect her if I can. I know puppies do this, but is the scary growl normal? I'm just trying to learn as much that I can so I can help her grow into a great doggie! She's a big cuddler and loves giving kisses (when not biting me)!
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome. Love your sign in name. My DH sometimes recites a little poem about "me mudder who made me pee when I could not" and it seems very appropriate for someone potty training a puppy. http://www.mamarocks.com/me_mudder.htm

How are you pronouncing Isla? As in island?

Yes, the growling is normal. If she is half Lab be prepared for a mouthy pup, after all, Labs were bred to use their mouths in retrieving. Guess who has a Lab?

Be extra prepared because she left the litter far too soon. The weeks between 6 and 8 are when bite inhibition is learned from the siblings and your wee girl has been deprived of that.

Try to direct her to a toy BEFORE she gets a hold on your pants. Much more effective and at this point she has no idea what STOP IT means. From the way you worded this she probably thinks it means what she is doing because it sounds like you are saying it while she is doing it. That's how you are going to teach her potty words, by saying them as she performs, and the same applies to other actions.

A rule of thumb for puppy exercise is 5 minutes per month of age of forced exercise on a hard surface allowed twice a day. Forced is anything on leash, straight line and/or compelled to keep up with you. Forced is thought to stress young joints. Play off leash is unlimited because then puppy can change speed and direction and quit when she feels like it.

Plus you want to be careful where you take her before vaccinations are complete. Ask your Vet about this. Parvo is the biggest concern, though not the only one.

I bet she is one little cutie-pie. I know we all want to see pictures. Take lots, they grow so quickly.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:25 AM

Thank you

Yes, I pronounce it "Isla", like "Island". Mouthy eh? I wonder how long that will last. She has lots of toys and I'm trying the redirecting. She's not pure lab, so I'm not sure what else she has in her cute little genes! I'm going to try to attach a picture!
Attached Images

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM

Couple more pics of week two with Isla..

She's 8 weeks here in these two. The first picture above, she was 7 weeks. I'd love to know what she's mixed with. Her tail curls a bit when she walks or plays. She stands with one paw up when curious. I am a picture taking maniac!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM

Oops...

Okay, here she is at 8 weeks.
Attached Images

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM

Another angle...

She doesn't have big paws either. Not sure if that always is an indicator though.
Attached Images

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:23 AM

She's adorable!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

thx for sharing these super-cute pix!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Whoa!! What a little looker!! Too cute, Isla'sMudder.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla'sMudder View Post
She doesn't have big paws either. Not sure if that always is an indicator though.
She sure is adorable !
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww.
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Thx

Thanks guys!
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Senior Contributor

She is adorable. Please get rid of the flexi lead when you start training. Good luck
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
She is adorable. Please get rid of the flexi lead when you start training. Good luck
I see a lot of dogs that have their owners very well trained , the dogs are on a fexi lead and are pulling their owners all over the place. I think dogs came up with this idea for a leash!
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with a flexi for leash training if it is kept short. I don't have one but it seems to me it would be hard to handle, even shortened, because of the big handle. But the tool itself is not bad, just how it is misused.

ONe of my trainers has a good idea, I think. She says use it shortened, or use a short leash, for leash training especially with a young dog. When you want to give them room to move out more and sniff around, YOU sit down, then let the flexi extend. This to avoid confusing young puppy brains with where they should be in relation to the owner while walking together.

And of course do not allow unsupervised freedom at the extent of the flexi and watch out for potential entanglements. And DO NOT allow dogs to play together while leashed at all, for fear of entanglement and injury. On another board a poster's dog ended up with badly broken leg from running on a long line.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:45 AM

Arrow Welcome!

I recommend this book to everyone getting their first puppy or next puppy.

http://www.amazon.ca/Before-After-Ge...3051051&sr=8-1

Cheers!
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Talking new member

Hi all! Am new here. Love the pics!! Such a cute dog. My puppy is 6 months old and a pomapoo. Pomeranian/poodle.