Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM

Not quite new, but not introduced

Hello. My name is Stacie. I've been a registered member for about 6 months now, and I've posted a few times when I wasn't sure if I needed to go to the vet. Each time, I received a quick, helpful response.
My husband and I have had our Eleanor for 3 years now. She absolutely a 'mutt'- we think a min-pin mix, but we've also been told that she looks like a Manchester terrier, Mini fox terrier, or a rat terrier. She was thrown out of a car at a public park. The vet told us that she was between 8 and 12 months old and that she had just recently had puppies. Luckily for her, having puppies at such a young age doesn't seem to have any lasting effects, and she's safe and happy now. (I'm going to attempt to attach a photo, but no promises!)
Attached Images

Old April 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Welcome!

Oh my Gawd! What a sweetheart! I LOVE those ears! And you are a sweetheart for taking her in! Were you at the park when she "landed" in your life? Lucky for her if you were! Welcome aboard!
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM

Welcome!!

She is adorable ... love those ears
It never ceases to amaze when I hear stories about the things people do to animals ... throwing a dog out of a car at a park how cruel is that
Lucky for Eleanor and good for you for taking her in and giving her a loving home to call her own :love:
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Those are phenomenal ears, she must pick up signals from Mars. LOVE the name.
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Living in Chaos!

My goodness! Look at those ears! And I thought that my friend's JRT had huge ears. Thank goodness you didn't name her Dumbo. She is so adorable.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001 to 06/14/2014
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

What a sweetie :love: she was very lucky to have"landed"where you found her,you sure she did not fly
Those ears are great
I sometimes wonder what people are made of,to do such a very cruel deed to a wonderful little dog..hopefully karma will catch up with them
But in a way it was Stacies lucky day,you were there to catch her..
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW look at those ears. How cute are they! Welcome I look forward to getting to know you and your fur baby better!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM

I thought this thread I started so long ago would be the appropriate place for this post. We took that picture about a week after Ellie came to us, and she has been that happy girl every day since then.

Around the first of the month, Ellie stopped eating her regular food and her tummy began to swell. Her vet told us that her heart murmur was now affecting both valves. She told us that Ellie needed to eat- what she ate no longer mattered. In her words, it was 'time to spoil' her. For a while, she did better. She ate eggs for a few days. There was that 2 day period when she ate almost a half box of shredded wheat cereal. Cat food was a favorite for nearly a week. She hasn't eaten more than a few bites in two weeks now.

We always assumed she was taken from her mother too soon. Every night, when we go to bed, Ellie gives us kisses and goes to the foot of the bed, and takes a piece of the duvet or blanket and sucks on it until she goes to sleep. But only when all three of us are there- if my husband or I are gone for some reason, she doesn't do it. She stopped this ritual three weeks ago.

She can't hop onto the sofa by herself anymore. Three days ago, I helped her up. She fell asleep on my chest, and lost control of her bladder. Last night, she stumbled and almost fell while standing still.

So, we're taking our girl to the vet for the last time this afternoon. I keep telling myself that this is the right thing to do- that I'm not being selfish or taking the coward's way out. Ellie has a right to dignity and a life of quality, which she's losing everyday. But, I'll be honest with you, I'm really scared.

I want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my many questions. You guys are truly wonderful people.
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

These things are SO difficult and so personal.
Here is an article that may prove to be helpful to you.

http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/euthana...e-pet-tip-228/

Positive thoughts whatever you decide
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Staciewells1. You've given her such a great life!

Helping to ease our furbaby's passing when it's time is the hardest thing we ever have to do, but it's the greatest gift we can give them. It is scary, and likely you'll second-guess your timing after the fact. But the truth is, we can never know if the timing is perfect or not. So try not to fret about it. Make your decision from the heart in her best interest and you can't go wrong.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Ellie will thank you forever for putting her needs above your own. As the others have said, it's never an easy thing to do, and you will second guess yourself if you did the right thing. We've all been there, some of us recently. But as Hazel said, so long as you make your decisions with Ellie's needs in mind you cannot do wrong by her. She had a wonderful life with you given where she came from she will never second guess you! She'll play at the bridge happy and healthy until you join her one day and the loving will start all over together. Be strong.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM

Thank you for your kind words. I wanted to come back and let you know what happened.

We took Ellie to the vet Monday. The doctor listened to her heart, and told us that she was, indeed, in complete heart failure. If we wanted to take heroic measures, we could. They would involve feeding tubes, injections, and daily trips to the vet's office- a 45-minute drive. If we chose to take this route, we would add a few days to perhaps a week to Ellie's life. So, we did the right thing, and let her go. I actually don't have any regrets. The doctor assured us that we didn't wait too long, and we didn't go in too soon.

Yesterday, we went to the local shelter. We're certainly not ready to get a new baby, but I understand now that I might be ready in the future- that another doggie would never replace Ellie, but could still fill a place in our home. So, for now, we've decided to sponsor an adoption of a hard-to-place dog in Ellie's name. We also donated her unused medication and food.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a wonderful way to honor Ellie's memory, Stacie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM

That's a great way to remember your dog! It is never easy to lose a pet, and you cant' always add another right away, so using your pet's old things to help dogs in need, and sponsoring when you can't adopt is wonderful.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-