Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM

My Dog Is Sick!

I work at an Emergency Vet clinic and a Routine Vet clinic and neither one of my vets can help me. I have a 1 1/2 year old Peke. Her name is Bijou. And just so u know she means the word to me. She was spayed 6 months agoand almost died while she was under the knife. Her heart rate went down to 12 and her SPO2 was 60. We gave her EPI, Atropine, and something else and she came back. Well that night she asperated and was in the clinic for 8 days on Ivs and Oxygen and blah blah. Well ever since then she is so not right she has vomiting spells and the poor girl has lost 3 lbs in 2 months she was on the thin side to begin with. We have run numerous CBCs and Chemistrys and T4s and T3s. X rays u name it we have done it. It all comes back normal normal normal. What is going on??
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wow Jenni you've been through a lot with your dog!

When you say vomiting spells...how frequent and how much?

Is it now and then but several times in one day or does it go on for days?
Have you noticed if it is just after eating or just after exercise or not specifically any time per se?

Have you tried feeding smaller amounts but more frequently and more importantly has there been a diet change and have you 'tried' to change the diet to stop the vomiting?

Whew sorry long winded here!

Can you post a picture of your foofies?
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:23 PM

Okay there has been no food change. Other than I changed to Hills EN when she was vomiting. She will vomit for 3 -5 days and she will be on IVs to keep her hydrated and then she will be okay I take her home and shes fine for a few days and she vomits again. It has been like this since she was spayed. None of the 4 vets I have taken her to know what is going on.
Oh and there is no certain time for her to begin vomiting sometimes it gets so bad it turns bloody. I try feeding her boiled chicken and rice hamburger and rice I have tryed it all. Small feedings every 4 hours. I have done it
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Is there a chance that coincidentally your dogs immune system being weakend from surgery....that she has caught something else?

Leptosporosis for example can cause vomiting, do you have lepto in your area?

I'd stick with chicken and boiled potato straight for a week, very small meals.
Feeding 5/6 times a day.

Hamburger is a no no!
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Here is some good info for you:

(have you taken a vomit sample with you to the vet?)
http://www.dog-pictures.co.uk/dog-ca...vomiting.shtml
Material that is high in mucus tells me that the stomach or high intestine is inflamed. Undigested food can indicate food poisoning, anxiety, or simply over eating. Bile is often present when vomiting is caused by inflammatory bowel disease or pancreatitis. Flecks of bright blood tell me that the stomach is lacerated. If the blood is brown and caramelized I know that the problem is farther down the intestine. Strong digestive odors suggests intestinal obstruction. Bits of aluminum foil, Christmas tree tinsel, Big Mac wrappers, etc. tell me that this is a dietary indiscretion that will be easy to manage. Another important clue is the relationship of vomiting to the pet’s last meal.

Blockages
Anything that blocks the exit from the stomach will eventually cause vomiting.

Two other forms of knotting of the small intestine, volvulus and intussuception also cause vomiting. Volvulus is a spinning round of the intestine causing it to kink. Intussusception is a folding in of the intestine upon itself. In both cases food cannot pass and circulation to that portion of the bowel is interrupted. Some people call this a strangulated intestine. I correct both these problems surgically.

Sudden inflammation of the pancreas causes frequent vomiting.

Ear infections that have migrated to the inner ear affect the organs of balance and can cause vomiting
Sometimes vomiting is the only sign of a tear in the diaphragm. A disrupted diaphragm can be a congenital disease that the pet was born with or it can occur as the result of a car accident. Dogs and cats with this problem tend to vomit shortly after eating. They vomit when portions of the stomach or small intestine become trapped in the tear. X-rays pick up this problem.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM

I know hamburger is bad but we were desperate. She wouldnt eat and she was failing miserably. she didnt eat that anyways. she wont touch potatoes. so thats out of the question. She has had every blood test known to man and it all comes back normal so i dont know what to think anymore. Lepto is not common here. we have also used a scope to look in her stomach and its all normal.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Pancreatic enzyme levels were fine ?

Redo the tests! Take a sample of the vomit to the vet.

Use rice then instead of potato and only use chicken or turkey.

There is a chance from what I read and posted that the dog could have an intestinal blockage as well.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:00 PM

I have

The dog vomits at the vet he has sample after sample. My poor pooch has been poked a million times I get blood work drawn every two days to see if we catch anything. we have taken a million x-rays done a barium series there is no blockage.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Let me start off this post by saying I'm sorry about all you have gone through...

Bit of a long shot here (and likely not of much assistance to helping her) but is there a chance that she suffered anoxic brain injury during her surgery? While I am not a doctor (or a vet for that matter), I do medical malpractice cases so I have seen cases where people suffer brain injury from these types of incidents. From what I am seeing, her O2 saturation went down to 60% - am I correct on this?? - which, I am thinking, means she could have suffered some form of brain injury.

Have you discussed this possibility with the vets where you work?

Again, sorry for the problems you have had with Bijou.

Michelle
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM

No I havent

Thats a good idea i think i should ask about the brain and the oxygen thing. Maybe thats it??? I dont know its been a loosing battle
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What a puzzling stumped question!

I wonder if you did some stimulation therapy, ie gentle body rubs and you holding the dog and doing some leg stretches etc would stim brain activity.

Are you noticing any weakness of one side or any visual trouble with the dogs eyes, have they ever darted back and forth or dilated all on their own.

That may give you some idea if it's neurological, and if there is a drooping of the tonge on the inside of the mouth..anything like that?

This is really baffling! Must be so hard for you to deal with.

I suppose, after all is said and done if the vets can really tell....maybe some alternative therapy would help..perhaps a doggie chiropractor or naturopath?