Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old October 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Raw Dehydrated

Does anyone know anything about raw dehydrated, are there any drawbacks?
Do you really get the same benefits of a raw diet?

Here's one I was looking at...but I know there are others
http://www.addictionfoods.com/canada...emberSel=true#
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I love the dehydrated raw stuff! I will though feed frozen raw well I am at home but when I go camping, on holidays, or leave the pets to be looked after by someone else I will buy some dehydrated and give that to them. There are no harmful effects of dehydrated at all, it just isn't as good as the "real" raw. This is just because some of the nutrients are lost in the dehydrating process, and there aren't as much "live bacteria" as there would be in the frozen. But, in my experience after coming back from holidays of my pets being on raw I find that there stool is still quite small (just like on the raw), and there overall health is the same. Do you have any concerns of the frozen raw?
Roxy- 4 year old Sheltie/Pom
Angel- 12 year old Persian (deseased Dec 6, 2008)

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM

I'm probably just more concerned about the hassle and freezer real estate more then anything. When I had Kali when she was young I fed her raw...so it's something I will consider when I'm fed up with my kibble choices. I've tried so many so far, that I just might resort to frozen raw.

The dehydrated raw has to be better then kibble then no?
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Live well, laugh often

I've also used the dehydrated raw while traveling and have found it to be quite good. It didn't seem to digest quite as well as regular raw but for short term it was great. The biggest issue I had with it was the $$$$ but think it is definately a good alternative to kibble.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:24 AM
chronically insane.

I've been interested in

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/index.shtml

It's called 'Prowl' and they sell it at the place where I'm getting a job. Anyone ever used that brand?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM

I was just going to post a question on raw dehydrated when i found this! Raw dehydrated is raw food that is dried at lower temperatures so the nutrients are still retained. I really like raw dehydrated too, its just that its not the cheapest food to feed. I've used Addiction in a rotation which made it much more affordable for me, and more improtantly my dog loved it! Was gonna ask if anyone else uses it for travel and I notice they do! I used to painstakingly pack ziplock bags of kibble (even when I had raw dehydrated in the house) and then one day I had a brainwave...its so much lighter and easier really.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
yearling

dehydrated foods

hello,

i am a raw vegan and i dehydrate some of my food, i was looking into doing this for my dog also, i found a company that does this also called canisource. the trick about not destroying the enzymes is you have to set it at 105 , so the vitamins and enzymes are still live. i wanted to read more about cani souce to find out if they dehydrate at low temp also, if not i won't be buying it.

take care
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM

It is quite simple to dehydrate food. Here is simple plans to make your own dehydrator for under 20 dollars http://www.instructables.com/id/SC6F7CHFKVR7AN5/

You just need to make sure you don't have to much heat (aslong as you have a variable output electric heater with a thermostat hooked up to it this won't be a problem)
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM

CaniSource

I feed a dehydrated raw diet called CaniSource. It's the best I've found as it is processed at a very low temperature so the original nutrients are in tact. My dog LOVES it so much that I can even use it as treats. The other thing is that unlike NRG or the Honest Kitchen, you don't have to add water to it - it's a kibble that you just scoop and go. Katie's been on it for 2 years and her health is far better at 10 years old than it was at 5! I think you get all the benefits of a raw diet with the convenience of a kibble on it! 2 BIG
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwillis View Post
It is quite simple to dehydrate food. Here is simple plans to make your own dehydrator for under 20 dollars http://www.instructables.com/id/SC6F7CHFKVR7AN5/

You just need to make sure you don't have to much heat (aslong as you have a variable output electric heater with a thermostat hooked up to it this won't be a problem)
This is totally cool!
I'm going to try this and probably this weekend.
MM
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by szelynn View Post
Does anyone know anything about raw dehydrated, are there any drawbacks?
Do you really get the same benefits of a raw diet?

Here's one I was looking at...but I know there are others
Dehydrates foods are good ! and certainly handy when travelling. You must remember however that your dog still needs to, "chew", so it would be important to supplement your dehydrated food with some good meaty bone here and there, ( several times a week), and that would be a good thing.
You need the chewing action for healthy teeth and gums, and unfortunately that doesn't happen with dehyrdated foods.

also the dehyrdated food should have no additives. It should only have 100% meat.

Cheers
MM