Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How is poor Ridge today Hazel? Poor baby. :sad:
Looks pretty painful, especially the pics from last night. Ouchie!!
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
-

poor doggie :sad: give her the pain meds Hazel , with a banana , they're probiotic

I hope it's doing better today
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I gave her 50mg of Rimadyl with some kibble and yogurt--I'll remember that about the banana, Frenchy.

She's still very sore, but no more massive draining like last night. I wish it would drain--those bits that bled so hard last night are looking flat and, although covered with a black crust, very dry.

I was talking to the vet again this afternoon--she said Ridge's infection is progressing a lot like puppy strangles--a deep-tissue infection affecting the muzzle, nose, and sometimes around the eyes and ears, as well. So far, it has not spread beyond the muzzle, although the areas around her lips and chin that were bumpy are now weeping. So that's good. I just wish she'd feel better faster. :sad:

The drug of choice here is cephalexin, but Ridge has always been very intolerant of it, so we went with the next choice, Clavamox. If this continues into Friday, however, we'll have to switch to cephalexin, anyway--so I'm looking for a good probiotic to prepare her gut with. Anyone have any favorite brands of probiotic or hints on what I should look for when I'm choosing between any two on the shelves?

The whole house smells of blood. :sad: My poor baby...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Half Way To Crazy

hazel the probotics I (meaning Bree of course)am using is called

"olympic organic probiotic" 3.5% m.f. plain
I get it in the health food store if I can get that I use "stoney Farm organic probiotics plain..

the olympic is thicker than the other but Bree loves both of them..

Old January 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is it a powder? A gel? Do you give it to her in her food?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Half Way To Crazy

it yoygart constistincy and I giv it to her for a treat sperate dish once a day about 2 tablespoons inbetween her breakfast and my luch time..
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That sounds ideal--I'm likely not going to be able to find the same stuff exactly, but I'll bet I can find something similar! Thanks, breeze!

Old January 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Half Way To Crazy

http://www.olympicdairy.com/health-e...robiotics.html

can't find the other one maybe I have the name wrong not sure I will have to check

Last edited by breeze; January 9th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Doggie Wench

We use Ultimate Probiotic 12/12 Formula by Natural Factors in capsule form...12 billion active cells from 12 different strains of probiotics. You can mix a 1/2 capsule in yogurt, anything mushy, or just directly on to her food. Much more potent than probiotic yogurt.

http://us.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=cat&cat=36

You can probably find it at one of these places located in Wisconsin. there's a place nearby you (perhaps at Mother Nature's Food Store in Eau Claire ?). Might be a good idea to call first to see if they have it in stock.

http://us.naturalfactors.com/distributors.asp

Last edited by luckypenny; January 9th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
We use Ultimate Probiotic 12/12 Formula by Natural Factors in capsule form...12 billion active cells from 12 different strains of probiotics. You can mix a 1/2 capsule in yogurt, anything mushy, or just directly on to her food. Much more potent than probiotic yogurt.

http://us.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=cat&cat=36

You can probably find it at one of these places located in Wisconsin. there's a place nearby you (perhaps at Mother Nature's Food Store in Eau Claire ?). Might be a good idea to call first to see if they have it in stock.

http://us.naturalfactors.com/distributors.asp
Yep, talked to them today as a matter of fact! Thanks, LP! I didn't ask them for brands--just whether they carried any--and they said yes and gave me a price range the products they carry. I'll make sure I bring the name when I go.

Ridge went out about an hour ago and rubbed her nose in a rough snow bank, prompted another tearful call to the vet by her distraught mom. Scraped a bunch of the skin or the scab off :sad: I'm gonna need a good stiff drink when this is all over...maybe two or three stiff drinks... The vet at least didn't think it was too bad and thankfully did not ask hazel to pull off the loose layers

Gave her another 50 mg of rimadyl, which we hope won't upset her tummy too much since it's only been 7 hours since her first dose--hopefully she'll sleep now! We're both exhausted...

Old January 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Doggie Wench

I guess if you put a cold compress on her nose, it will stop the weeping? How about warm then cold compresses? Poor baby...poor Mommy. I hope you both get a good night's sleep .
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, LP. I hope we sleep, too. And, in fact, we're just about to go to bed...she just climbed up on the the pillow and I haven't had to wipe up any blood for the last 10 minutes or so.

Actually, the vet says we want the weeping to occur--that's the infection coming out of the tissue. She looks like a burn victim. I haven't had the heart to ask what kind of scarring this is going to leave. :sad: But of all of them, she's the least active, and the least likely to get into undergrowth, therefore the least likely to get her nose all scratched up if the hair doesn't come back.

hazel doesn't do well with blood--I've been spending the last two days feeling woozy and queasy...and hubby didn't understand why, when he showed me a piece of skin she'd dropped on her way in after scraping her face, I sat down hard and started crying again. I'm such a wooss....

Old January 10th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Doggie Wench

I was thinking the cold compresses might provide a little bit of relief :sad: .

Maybe you can use them when you're feeling woozy??

Sweet dreams. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier on the two of you .
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM

:sad: poor baby Ridge

I can't think of anything that you're not already doing to help

The probiotic Duffy is on is PB8 capsules just open & mix into food apparently the taste is yogurt based so dogs (& cats) will not mind it in their food

Speedy healing Ridge

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Half Way To Crazy

How is Ridge's nose today Hazel??

Did you, and Ridge get any sleep??

I know the vet wants it to weep but could the vet not tell you something to stop the iching??

I know with kids the doctors don't want it to "scab" over they want to keep it moist to help with the healing. this way there is less scaring

for you and Ridge
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Exhaustion took over last night--we all slept much better. Then she got up and promptly started rubbing the loose skin off her nose. I had to physically restrain her, then give her a rimadyl and used a compress to remove more of the loose stuff. But, although extremely bloody, it somehow looks better this morning--maybe not as swollen So maybe more of the infection drained

I don't think it's itchy, breeze. I think it's hurting--she doesn't want any of the other dogs anywhere near her face. And when she was done rubbing this morning, she just sat there trembling... :sad: There really isn't a topical you can put on it that wouldn't be irritating. It's just a mass of bloody tissue right now. :sad:

This is just nightmarish--but the vet seems to think it's progressing well. Really gives me a great deal of sympathy for people whose pups have puppy strangles! That must be just horrible seeing this in a little puppy!

PB8--I'll add it to my list for when I visit Mother Nature's Food Store, growler--they're bound to have something suitable! I figure the more brands I know of that people have used successfully, the easier it will be for hazel's frazzled brain to make a decision.

Old January 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Half Way To Crazy

guess I'm not much help..

I will just keep sending you and Ridge
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think your support is immeasurable, breeze

hubby is going shopping today to see if he can find some 'beefed up' (extra innoculants) yogurt for the dogs' food. We think we can get some at a local shop to help tide Ridge over till we can get some stronger probiotics in town (which is 40 miles away).

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

for Ridge AND you!
I would be the same as you with the heebie jeebies.
Poor thing must be in so much pain. Someone mentioned this is sort of like cold sores?? I get stress cold sores and they are quite painful but not nearly that large. I just can't imagine what the poor girl is going through.
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
-

I'm sorry Hazel , this doesn't seem to be healing very fast , give a big kiss to Ridge for me , on top of her head of course !
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She keeps trying to rub off the scabs... I keep telling her she'll get scars, but she's never been vain... Silly girl.

Still, despite all her attempts at saboutage, I do believe she's a little better this evening...maybe...?

Old January 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Live well, laugh often

OMG, poor Ridge, that looks sooooo painful :sad:. Hugs to you both . You should ask the vet if maybe something that would be used for baby diaper rash would be helpful for her? What about just some plain 100% pure aloe?
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
She keeps trying to rub off the scabs... I keep telling her she'll get scars, but she's never been vain... Silly girl.

Still, despite all her attempts at saboutage, I do believe she's a little better this evening...maybe...?
I thought she was wearing the D.E.C? ....How can she rub it?
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I thought she was wearing the D.E.C? ....How can she rub it?
She parks the DEC against the bedspread, then rubs on the cone itself! The only way I can stop her is to reach into the cone and grab her muzzle just above all the infection to immobilize her head... It's rather traumatic. It happens when the rimadyl is starting to wear off, and usually right after a nap (she wakes up scraping). :sad:

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
OMG, poor Ridge, that looks sooooo painful :sad:. Hugs to you both . You should ask the vet if maybe something that would be used for baby diaper rash would be helpful for her? What about just some plain 100% pure aloe?
All that lumpy, weeping area is infection draining... Can't put anything on it until it's completely drained and healing. I don't know how long it's supposed to take, but we have to decide tomorrow whether to change her over to cephalexin for 14 or more days... Cephalexin is the drug of choice, but our dogs have never been able to tolerate more than 9 days of it (9 days was a record--set by Cole--the rest can't tolerate it even that long). We'll have to put her on heavy duty probiotics for sure if we move to Cephalexin.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Half Way To Crazy

can you get the probotics that you want Hazel??
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Cephalexin is the drug of choice, but our dogs have never been able to tolerate more than 9 days of it (9 days was a record--set by Cole--the rest can't tolerate it even that long). We'll have to put her on heavy duty probiotics for sure if we move to Cephalexin.
Poor Ridge :sad:. You could also consider home cooking for her while she is on that, it might help her tummy a bit. Scrambled eggs, yogurt, oatmeal and mashed banana are a great meal to serve with heavy duty antibiotics . Much easier on her digestive system than kibble.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
-

Oh gosh Hazel , this seems so difficult to get her not to scrub it. :sad:
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
can you get the probotics that you want Hazel??
Won't know till hubby gets back to work tomorrow--he works in town, but stayed home today to help out because I was so tired. He's such a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Poor Ridge :sad:. You could also consider home cooking for her while she is on that, it might help her tummy a bit. Scrambled eggs, yogurt, oatmeal and mashed banana are a great meal to serve with heavy duty antibiotics . Much easier on her digestive system than kibble.
I may try that with just her pain pills--she's supposed to have them with food in the stomach, but we stagger them a few hours off the time she gets the antibiotics to give her tummy a bit of a break. A light meal of a scrambled egg, yogurt and banana sounds yummy for the pain pill!

We were having trouble getting her to drink until later today. She's peed only twice since yesterday morning. She's more interested in drinking now that her lips seem a little better. No problem getting my girl to eat, though! Like mother, like daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Oh gosh Hazel , this seems so difficult to get her not to scrub it. :sad:
It's a bit overwhelming at moments... I've never seen anything like this and I hope I never see it again.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Half Way To Crazy

well lets just send and more that she will get better real fast and get back to her old self again....