Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 6th, 2004, 11:01 PM

Unhappy looking to adopt & have allergies

After long and careful consideration I am looking to adopt a dog but since there are allergies in the house I am looking for advice as to which would be the best fit around our problem and our lifestyle?
Help?
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

There are no hypoallergenic dogs. There are some breeds, like poodles, which seem to cause less reaction than other breeds, but there is no guarantee.

I suggest you contact a rescue,explain your situation, and offer to foster a dog. This way, you can see if there will be a problem or not without making a committment!
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Senior Contributor

My mom is very allergic and has a standard poodle and a yorkie that don't bother her allergies. She has also had bichons. Please bear in mind that these are high maintence dogs as far as grooming goes.

Avoid the new poodle mixes you find on line. They are bred to make money not keep you from sneezing (or whatever symptoms you may have). The poodle coat does not breed true at this point and the type of coat they have is the reason most people who are allergic can have them.
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I like the idea of fostering.

Somewhere I read an article about a whole raft of things you can do in order to deal with or eliminate allergic responses to pets. I'll try finding it.
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Poodles are great, but they still shed a little and have high matenince. You guys are right, fostering is a good idea to see if the dog is the right one for you. Bishons, ****su, Poodles, Maltese, Bishon Freis, there are tones of breeds that "don't" shed, but be careful, you still might have allergies, and no dogs "don't" shed either.
Old March 8th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, it made stars where I was trying to describe a perfectly inocent breed name!!!
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

LMAO @ Spoiled.

It's because you didn't seperate the name.

Shi Tzu
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Oops,forgot to put down what I was going to say...LOL

A friend of mine has allergies and so does her son.The breed they ended up getting was a Wheaten Terrier.

But I too like the idea of fostering.
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Cat Lover

I think fostering is a great idea. It will give you a good idea just how bad the reactions will get before committing to a dog for life.
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Portugese Water Dogs are hypoallergenic, so the breeder said, we have one, they are however not for the faint of heart, very active, love to play, and strong. The curly coat is better than the wave coat for allergies. We have a wavy . They are a grooming dog and I do ours every 4-6 weeks if I was paying a groomer I might not have chosen one.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Dogs and allergies

Personally I think this is too risky. You just don't know how you will react to any particular dog and Lucky is right.
No such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, despite what a breeder (read salesperson) says.

In this case I DO NOT think fostering is a good idea. What happens when the dog gets attached to you, or you get attached to the dog. Then you face the possible heartbreaking dilema of of having to give the dog up. It's always the dog that loses in these situations.

I suggest finding someone who lives near you - check pet clubs or organizations in your area that has the breed you want. Make friends. Good dog owners are usually all too happy to talk about their pets and are usually friendly.

Spend a few HOURS if possible with their pet and see what your reaction is like. That way you and the dog avoid potential heartbreak.

Good luck

Binky6
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Lots of people foster without getting attached to the dog. If you chose one that is supposed to be hypoalergenic, chances are you won't get allergies, and you can adopt the dog. It is more risky to look around for a dog than to foster. How would you know if your allergic to a dog if your only around him/her for a while. The allergies could pop up later, causing trouble. And can you think of where the world would be at if nobody wanted to foster because it might break their hearts to give the dog up?