Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old November 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Unhappy German Shepherds

Hey Guys,
I'm a first time dog owner and i have a pure-bred German Shepherd as a lovely pet. I was just curious... Do they the tendency to whine a lot... (especially for no reason at all)??? because mine sure as hell does!

Old November 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM

My brother has a GSD, she whines a little sometimes. Whiny dogs can be trained to not whine, btw. A good, sharp "Cut it out!" has always worked for me. Tone of voice should communicate disgust and annoyance.

She does like to talk as part of her greeting when friends come for a visit--I find it endearing.

A GSD can be very headstrong--they are very smart and enjoy working. I'd strongly suggest that you and she go get obedience training--you'll both enjoy it.

Last edited by Angies Man; November 16th, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Whether a dog whines a lot tends to be an individual thing, not a breed thing.

Walnut whines a lot, and we don't encourage it, it's just how she is, it's how she communicates. Dogs rarely whine for no reason like you've suggested, they usually are trying to tell you something, even if you're not sure what they want.

Walnut will whine when she wants to go outside and play for example, and we'll say "No outside". She knows what it means but she tries to look all sad and whines some more. After about 30 seconds she usually goes "oof" as if to say "FINE!" and lays down.

It's just part of their personality, some dogs whine a lot just like some children may, while some are pretty quiet. There are plenty of ways to discourage it but some dogs are just more whiney than others and may do it quite a bit anyway.

Walnut also whines when we're all just sitting around watching TV or something and she's bored. To someone else it may just seem like she's sitting there whining for no reason, but if you watch your dog a lot and get to know them you usually learn what they're trying to say.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; November 16th, 2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Mine whines all the time, but I usually know exactly what she wants now! When we first brought her home from the humane society she would pace and whine all the time, now its when the cat is in her way and she cant pass him, she is unsure of a situation, she would like to be fed a few hours early. I dont give in though, I just ignore her or a quick stern "enough" (not yellingh tough, she is quite sensitive!) usually does the trick if its getting out of hand.

When she's really excited she makes more of a growly sound.
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Mine are pretty vocal. They don't just whine they make all kinds of noises, grunting... moaning... growling... barking... screaming... etc
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:30 PM

My shepherd was very 'whiney' when she was at her peak. I would give her 2-3 hours of solid exercise every single day and found myself taking up tracking to provide her with some extra mental stimulation. The end result? Well whatever you gave her, she got used to! Often after a nice 1 1/2 hour off leash brisk walk she'd sleep for 20 minutes and then be ready to do it all over again. It did drive me a bit nuts..... She needed just that much exercise and action all the time. Not all shepherds are as intense though, but exercise & mental stimulation is the key to stopping at least some of the whining.
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
Walnut whines a lot, and we don't encourage it, it's just how she is, it's how she communicates. Dogs rarely whine for no reason like you've suggested, they usually are trying to tell you something, even if you're not sure what they want.
One of my dogs whines alot, and although it can be annoying at times, I wouldn't change it if I could.
It is absolutley how he communicates and it makes it much easier to know whats going on with him then with his brother, who is a very quiet dog for the most part.

Certainly it's not something one would want to actively encourage, but I think if you pay attention to what the dog is trying to tell you and assume it is for a reason, it can actually be helpful.
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I grew up with this breed, and have raised 3.And to be honest I really haven't heard them whine.If they did it was only becasue I left.Other then that,nothing.

My current can be quite the talker.I can only imagine what he's saying.LOL

To me the GSD is the most easily trained.BUT this breed must be trained from day one.And must be constent in the training.Do I think they need a job to do?No not really.Two of my three were couch patatoes.They enjoyed their walks.My current was a working dog.But when his job was done at the end of the day,he just lazed around.I did all the training myself.
Old November 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM

We also had a german shepherd when I was young. I agree that they are easy to train and they are very smart. They are really fast learner. Our dog also loves to whine, we also tried to stop him from whinning but he still whines sometimes but not that much.

Last edited by igauresh; November 18th, 2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree it is not a breed thing, Maya used to do a lot of whining for her it was a form of pacifying herself when she was nervous, as she became more relaxed her whining ceased
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:02 AM

My female shepherd whines occasionaly its down to boredom as others have already said plenty of stimulation needed as they are very smart dogs

Last edited by Stewart; November 26th, 2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM

my 2 gsds are very vocal, they whine, yodel, moan and sigh all the time.
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM

My dog whines all the time. He is not a gsd, but some type of mixed breed. I think he is bored when he whines, but haven't figured it all out yet. Maybe sometimes it's stress and/or he wants to go out. He has been like this since a puppy. I think it is probably not a breed thing.
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:21 AM

OMG, mine is 11 months old and she moans like a very old man.
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Flyball Mom

Maybe it's a shepherd thing because my Australian Shepherd doesn't shut up! It's like she's trying to speak human but just can't get it out. It can be annoying, but also can be cute because we do have conversations and people tend to get a kick out of it.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:34 PM

Smile

As a 1st time dog owner and a first GS owner( always had cats), I was so surprised at home much noise my dog make! Our vet told us GS's are like that...hmmm..Bucky not only whines( yup, when we wants something) but he actually 'talks' ! its the funniest thing! He groans, moans, howls and speaks..most of it we just ignore as it can be really annoying but the 'talking' is quite funny. He seems as though he's really trying trying to talk...!! I suppose its way of telling us something.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM
Geek Club CEO

Yep, I asked about this one too! Jaida makes all kinds of noises (groans, moans, squeals, grumbles, throaty pants, and WHINES!).
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM

Yup, very talkative doggies! My family has 2 shepherds and one collie, you can imagine the noise level! They talk to each other, they talk to us, they talk to their toys....whining, screaming, crying, singing, moaning, groaning, barking, humming, and those big shepherd SIGHS...no howling thank goodness!
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I must be one of the lucky ones who has had quiet GSD's.LOL

My brothers partner is a GSD.Quiet as ever.Same with the others on the unit.I also deal with them at work...Pretty quiet also.The only time these dogs start whinning or become talkative is when they are working.
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

When I have Dracko in the car with me I can't often make a phone call for work (I'm a sales rep so I travel a lot in my vehicle). Unless the account knows I often travel with my dog and likes dogs I have to wait. Just never know when he'll start "talking." He certainly isn't a barker unless it's a stranger nearby, but he "talks" a lot.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Talking shepherdssssssssssss. Yes this is so very normal for the breed.. They just like to have attention. Generally when its time to work.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Working GSD Lover

My shepherds do not whine at all.
I have never heard them whine.

They are also trained from day one that we only bark for a reason meaning to alert!

Otherwise quiet is the word.

Yukon does talk sometimes but not alot because when he was a puppy we lived in an apartment and he was taught to be quiet so it has stuck with him even though we own our own house now. LOL
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Sure some gsds have tendencies to whine for attention, or in pain.. My gsd is social and very vocal when requested to.. She loves to get working but has the gift of gab just like her mom and master... That shows me that my dogs are enjoying their day at the park if you ask me.. although everyone has their own way of doing things... I ask my dog to bellon or bark and bark load they will.. I want them to be quite they are willing to please... but thats the name of the game... everyone trains, breeds and works their dogs differantly..

Its all about doing what you know best and passing it along...

Last edited by mindis12; August 5th, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
my 2 gsds are very vocal, they whine, yodel, moan and sigh all the time.
Mine's like this too. Noisy gal.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)