Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM

How concerned should I be?

my 1 yr old male cat now has quarter-sized, soft lump on his rt side, about halfway between his f and r legs, and 2-3 in. below where I feel his spine. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I press on it. It is underneath unbroken skin. I can find no visual evidence of trauma. The lump reminds me of the consistency of a calciferous cyst that I once felt on a human, but a little softer.

He did, however, go to his box and squat a couple of times, to no avail, but then later, there was a normal-looking result, firm, no blood or anything unusual.

I most want to know if the lump could be in the proximity of his bowels. I've applied light pressure to his "groin" area, if that's what it's called, but there were no hard areas or lumps, or apparent pain that i could tell...but I don't know much about animal anatomy.

What are your educated feelings, please?

I could post a picture to point to exactly where the lump is, if that would help.

Last edited by trid2bnrml; April 26th, 2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Half Way To Crazy

IMO If you are conserned enough to post the question, then I would take him to the vet to be sure if it nothing serious. It is better to be safe than sorry.

When in doubt follow your heart
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I think lumps are worth getting checked out. It could be nothing (do cats get faty lumps like dogs do?) or it could be something that you'd want to know about as early as possible. Whatever the case, you'll likely feel much better knowing what's going on rather than worrying about it.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

my personal opinion is you should CALL the vet. The vet may advise you to watch the lump for a few days, or the vet may want to see your cat right away. Either way, it's best to let a professional Vet decide.

In my past experiences, the cost of the office visit (even for small, minor, sometimes silly things) has always been worth the peace of mind.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
(do cats get faty lumps like dogs do?)
I was asking myself the same question. If so, your vet will be able to tell you (after taking a sample) if it's a fatty lump. If not, you should get it tested.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Queen

There is no way to know for sure what a lump is until it is biopsied and tested. Cats can get all manner of lumps just like any other animal so it could be anything from a fatty tumor to an aggressive cancer. If it is soft and movable it may be a fatty tumor or some other benign tissue growth but of course no one can tell by guessing. I'm not sure exactly where it is by your description but could it be where he had his shots? If so it may be a few different things one of which can develop into something serious. If you think that is what it might be I can send you some info on it, in the mean time i'd definitely get it checked at the vet! Hopefully it is not seriuos.
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I thank you all

I rescued my little "tough cat" from an indescribably disgusting basement where he and his siblings and mom had been abandoned by John Michael Madden (I like to give the jerk all the credit he has coming). He was about a month or so old, filthy, eaten up by fleas, and starving.

He fit in the palm of my hand. I happily spoil him rotten. I'm attaching his first picture, I hope it posts, so you all can see my little pride and joy.

I'll call a vet, and do whatever I have to do, to keep my little friend happy and healthy.

Thanks again, I'll be back to this forum, I think I like it already.
Attached Images

Old April 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Keep us posted on your little kitty, good on the vets appointment
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM
The demons' servant

ROFL the look on his face makes me think of Brain off Pinky and the Brain!! Sort of an evil mastermind look!

As to the original topic....I couldn't tell you anything. I hope the vet appointment goes well though!

Megan

P.S. I bet he has a TON of personality!
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Look at those paws, he's going to be a big boy. Very sweet. What happened to the abuser?
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM
-

he's so cute ! (same colour as my Monsieur le chat) good luck at the vet
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a beautiful kitty, trid2bnrml. Hope all goes well at the vet

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Queen

VERY CUTE. Good luck at the vet.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:19 PM
-

Awww.....your little guy is adorable. Whatever happened to his mom and siblings? :sad:

Good luck at the vet and please keep us posted.
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM

update

I talked with a vet from Dove Lewis, our local non-profit. I'm to closely monitor it for changes because it isn't causing pain, and it isn't an open wound. It seems to be getting a bit smaller, luckily.

fingers crossed...

Tc has become a big boy. That pic was from when we found him, a year ago. We found what we think are good homes for the rest of his family, one by one. I get emails from a couple of them, letting me know how perfect they are, and I got a pic too. All's well that ends well...

Here's a more recent pic of my little fur-ball, chasing soap bubbles
Attached Images

Old May 1st, 2007, 01:48 PM
-

Cute pic of TC chasing bubbles.

Glad the lump is getting smaller. Has TC had his vaccinations recently?
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

He is a cutie and I agree- watch the cyst - if that is what it is (cysts don't usually hurt but they have a variety of characteristics, in humans and cats) and it still could not hurt to have your vet take a peek if need be.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Can't find that lump!

It has vanished. I called the vet office back, just in case the disappearance was a preamble to something else, but he (the vet I spoke with this time) said most likely not anything serious.

He said it could not have been a herniated, (something or the other, can't remember what he said exactly) or it would have gotten worse fast. He said if it appeared again, to bring him in so they could see it themselves, he said he would take a peek for free.

Now that somebody mentioned it, he does need some shots, and I should get him neutered, although I hate to do that. He's an inside cat, I guess I dislike the thought of "castration". He's perfect just as he is and I'm proud of him, I don't want to change his demeanor.

But mostly, if he gets neutered, does he have to stay there, overnight, or longer? or can he go home with me? He's never been away from me for more than 8 or 9 hours at a time, and he panics bad enough at that---or maybe it's me who panics?

Anyway, we live alone together, and I can't stand to see him in a panic, as if he thinks I abandoned him. He hates to be alone for very long, so I avoid doing that. I have a backpack carrier and take him with me when i can, which he loves. He loves being the center of everyone's attention (the big ham)

So how much "away time" is involved?
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM

If you don't castrate him he will eventually spray in your house. He will make a wonderful pet,and his attentions will be focused on you, not how to get out besides medically it's the right thing to do for him, otherwise you will have a very frustrated cat that may be open for cancer ect.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM

How long does it take?

Is there a long time he must spend locked in a cage at the vets office, alone?
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM

A male cat sometimes can go home that very same day if he's a quiet cat,and he will be FINE
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Geek Club CEO

In my experience, male cats go home the same day of their surgery. Not to downplay it, but it's really one of the fastest, simplest, least-invasive (sorry guys ) surgical procedures that can be done at a vet clinic. I saw hundreds of them done during my time working at a clinic, and they all turned out just fine. Your big guy will be back to his ol' self the next day once the anaesthetic hangover wears off!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Yeah, cat neuters are so simple. A lot of the time, they don't even need stitches. It really is an "easy" surgery.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't worry,I've had about 8 cats neutered,no problem and back home the same day.
The time he spends in a cage,is mostly to wake up and after he does he can go home.
It's in the cats best interest and yours to have him neutered,I am actually surprised he has not started spraying at 1yr old,you are lucky.
Also,thank's for helping those poor kitties and Welcome to the Forum!!
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

There are so many more benefits to a cat who is neutered than just keeping him healthy. They do not develop crystals as often, they certainly do not roam - even if indoors and won't want out or go in heat - which inevitably is hard on them as they age. A neutered cat is a healthy, happy cat - exp an indoor one!!!
I do hope you neuter him - you will never regret it.

There are also the social consequences. If he does get out - a Tom in heat - will do almost anything to get out - (They also seek other objects, including other animals and inanimate objects to "hump" if they are not neutered, so frustrated and desperate do they become!). And if they get out, the various females they impregnate will bring into so many unwanted litters of kittens that it adds to the suffering we see too much of. I know this may not have occurred to you and I am sure you watch him closely but where there is a will - and the will of a Tom is sooo strong - they will get out!!

I hope you give this some consideration - neutering is just such a great thing to do to prolong your cat's life as well!! There are so many benefits and I am sure I am leaving out more!
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Smile Thanks

With all of this out-pouring of information and compassion, I can only choose to neuter TC. I see there must be no other sane answer. My wish for a healthy, happy cat easily overrides my fears and prejudices, especially with so much support. I'll check on the sterilization when I take him in for his shots (which understandably, he hate).

Luckily, he doesn't mind riding in vehicles, especially the public transit (the bus), where he gets all kinds of attention, which he soaks up like a sponge. The Ham!

I'll post again next week and let anyone interested know how it's all coming.

--I hate not knowing the outcome of things that matter to me.

Thanks again guys!

lots-o=luv
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Finally Found The Problem

I had been looking for a regular vet for TC, even after Dove Lewis, which is actually an emergency trauma clinic. I found one and took him in. They found a blockage in his urethra, which the vet said was probably where that lump came from, and when his bladder filled up to over-full, the lump didn't go away, but it was almost impossible to feel. The size of his bladder was what gave it away.

He was catheterized and flushed out, I got pills and new specialized food for him, and he is home now. Thank goodness! He's peeing, but making lots of trips to the box. I've been mixing his canned food with water to get more fluids into him. I'm told that his bladder. which was the size of a baseball almost, will take some time to get back to normal.

The only thing I don't remember hearing from his new vet, is whether or not his pee should be lightly tinged with blood. I know humans who suffer a trauma to the urethra will do that for a while, and I figure being catheterized and a blockage shoved out must be a trauma. So I just want to know if anybody else has had that experience, and whether it was normal or not.

I'm not gonna panic yet.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I am glad you found out what the problem was,I cannot give you any advice,don't really know.
However if you feel panicky call your vet,I am sure you paid a lot for this procedure and it should include a post-op check.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear you found the problem and decided to get your cat neutered. He will make a much better companion and will be happier neutered.
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If there's still blood in his urine, give the vet a call and ask. It may be nothing more than an irritation from the catheterization , but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad they finally figured out his problem! Hope he's 100% again soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."