Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:45 PM

Well, to look at it from the dogs point of view....

The dog wants and needs to be part of your family. They want to feel love, care, affection. When they are left outside, they aren't really part of your every day life. Especially at night. They like to be inside, cozy and warm, close to people. Because this dog is sick right now, he needs more attention and care. I suspect that if it gets cold at night, he would feel it and this certainly does not do his health any good.

You are doing great by him, no doubt about it, but most people would prefer to see a dog inside, loved and cared for as part of the family.

Why do you keep your other dogs inside????? Something to think about....

This guy is no different.

Heather
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM

Yes that is true, i could never understand a dog being tied up i think that is so sad dobe even has a mark like on his neck from being on one all his life he will not be on one here only to take him walking. I guess the reason i have the other 2 in the house they was in here as soon as they was ready to bring home, so they have been inside all there lives so maybe dobe will be an inside dog also , well thanks and i will post more as he gets better take care
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:57 PM

Just some food for thought....

Good luck and please let us know how he is doing.

Heather
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

All dogs should be with their families, and Dobies are companion dogs, and do very poorly left outside alone. They really need to be with their people.

Has he shown aggression to your other dogs? Tried to bite or attack them? Why don't you give him a chance. Like many large dogs, he may be very tolerant of small dogs. It just takes a little time to get them used to each other.

If you cannot keep him inside, then you should contact a Doberman rescue as Luba says, where he can get a home and be an inside dog.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

All very good ideas and suggestions!

I think you would be happy knowing that this dog was going to a wonderful new place to live? Someone with dobie experience maybe?

Poor darlin has a scar on his neck from being tied up.

Have you since talked to the guy who gave him to you?
By the way do you know where 'HE' got the dog from? I am wondering if perhaps this dog is missing from someone else? Do you think it's a possibility the dog was stolen?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
All very good ideas and suggestions!

I think you would be happy knowing that this dog was going to a wonderful new place to live? Someone with dobie experience maybe?

Poor darlin has a scar on his neck from being tied up.

Have you since talked to the guy who gave him to you?
By the way do you know where 'HE' got the dog from? I am wondering if perhaps this dog is missing from someone else? Do you think it's a possibility the dog was stolen?
No he is not stolen i have talked to the first owners and yes he snaped at one of the dogs (the male) but he didnt know he was a male remember when i told the glass door story? It was very scary. But i am not giving him up i know i can give him a good life, lots of people dont have experience with there new pets but they learn as they go and all of your advise is very helpfull but i am keeping him.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I hope it works out for you.

If there is dog on dog aggression you may end up permanently separating the dogs, you know this right?

It wouldn't be fair to the dobie to remain outside, truly you understand that.

As for the other owners, do you know that they had the dog since it was a pup and where they got the dog from? Or are you just taking their word for it?

How has he been eating today?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:24 PM

As a dedicated Dobie lover and owner, I can honestly say that this breed loves people and desires to be with them. They are lovingly referred to as "velcro dogs" and are quite happy to prove why. If you intend to keep this dog until he "goes on to heaven", you simply must allow him to come into your home and truly become a part of your life and family. It has always been my view that anyone who gets a dog and makes it stay outside should never have got him in the first place. I'm sure if you look into Dobe's eyes when he is sadly staring into your home, and seeing the other dogs inside, you will agree this is simply not acceptable.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that what you have done for him thus far has been wonderful. You have shown him kindness and care where there apparently was none. But, there is so much more to rescuing an animal than just that. He needs love. The best form would be to invite him into your home. Allow all the dogs to "meet" and get acquainted in a neutral area, as suggested in an earlier post, and be patient. They will have to work things out amongst themselves a bit. Certainly, do not allow Dobe's sheer size and strength (even in his weakened state) to overpower your Boston's and cause them pain or injury. But, allow them to work it out as best you (and they) can.

Thank you for what you're doing. I've rescued a Dobe myself... actually I've rescued almost all of my animals. The rewards come every day as you look into those deep brown eyes. Good luck and keep us informed!

God bless!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Heiress, that is an excellent post and very well said.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just incase you change your mind or even need some suggestions from rescue, I've been given the following information for you to contact rescue:

There apparently are no active Dobe rescues in West Virginia. I would suggest contacting the one in northern Virginia, give them the location of the dog and see if they can recommend the closest rescuer.
Doberman Assistance, Rescue and Education, Inc. (DAR&E)
http://www.dobe.net
703-352-5936
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:04 PM

Hi, thanks for the kind but FIRM words and i agree. So tomorrow we are going to the park and let dobe and hydro meet (i am so scared for both of them ) I let dobe wonder in the house this after noon and he just loved it and went strait to my bedroom and got in the bed it was sweet lol He is scratching the door where i have him he hates that room and i stay in there as much as possable with him but when i leave he throws a fit so i got to get these dogs to get along some how i fill so guilty taking him from that big yard i hope it works. I found out all of the owners that has had dobe turns out there was 4 man i have been busy and each owner kept him outside and never took him for a checkup But i am determend to make this happen dont know why but why not thanks all P.S. LUBA he is eating great
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I used to be leery of dobies, mainly because of all the bad hype in movies. Then I met a friend's dobie that had natural uncropped ears and was a big lapdog. I hadn't even realized she was a dobie. Totally opposite from what I had believed. She was a great housedog!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well you have my support if you plan on keeping him and having him as an indoor dog part of your family

You may want to just touch base with the breed rescue I posted just incase he was stolen way back when and his owners original are looking for him (did you check for tattoos...ears, groin, gums)

I'm so happy he's eating well YEAHHHH!

Can you give him a big hug for me and when you have a min post some pics too.

This poor darlin has had a rough life
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:01 PM

Thanks luba, yes we checked him and nothing im most posative he only has had 4 owners i have all there names and pin pointed when they each had him so the dates all match up and i have talked to all of them today, if i didnt get the ckc papers on him i would have never figured his past out. And on these ckc papers something bothers me do you or anyone know why it says this: Birthday:1/13/2003 and then says Reg Date: 10/30/2003 i know the birthdate but how is it the Reg date is 10/30/2003 ? just wondering
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

His papers would say his pedigree ..who the breeders are. I'd call them and let them know what happened to this precious dog.

The dates sound a little screwy to me

day mon year not in the same order huh??
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:01 AM

Talking

Well they didnt get along but im going to keep trying,dobe is doing alot better and eating great i will send pic next time i post I just want to take the time to say thank you all so much for helping me this is so nice of you taking your time to help us all out, i dont know if there are other sites like this but if there is i will always come to this one because of you great people (((((((luba))))))) (((L R))) (((goldenmom))) P.S. Luba the dates are this 10/30/200(2) is when they reg.dobe b4 he was born so thats how the 10th month came up on the papers my fault on the 2003 i typed it wrong sorry
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Don't the papers indicate 'who' registered him? Like who the breeders were?

Glad to help and be supportive, truly thankful for your appreciation
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:41 AM

Yes, thats the ones i got the info from and i told them what has happen to him they seem to be upset but then said that they hate it but it was no longer there concern but tryed to say it on other words but i got the drift well this is day 4 he is realy doing better what do you think? I know he still has a long way to go but im making sure he is haveing fun and enjoying his new life
Attached Images

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:11 AM

I know you can still see those ribs but not for long and after his bath now look just how BLUE that black is. I forgot to add that my nieces came to stay a few days and when he saw the gilrs he ran and hide and when they would speak to him he would hide even more, i thought that was so odd but now he is ok with them and even lets them pet him, Well i will post more soon .
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Beautiful dog! Once he gets some weight on him, he will be great!

Good luck!

Heather
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

He is a beautiful dog a little fattening up and he will certainly make you a very proud owner. Some friends of mine in Cape Breton had a brown dobie female,I took tons of pictures of her maybe 2 of our friends
She was 13 yrs old when put down because of illness,she too was a rescue and the most wonderful dog,once you gained her trust.
Dobies have such a wonderful proud stance,a pleasure to watch
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

She looks happy!
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What a beautiful face that is probably saying 'thank you for rescuing me'

Ba**ards!!! Oh I get so mad!

Get some cottage cheese and mix it in with mashed potato and add that to the meals, it will put fat on those bones in no time AND help with calcium building for the bones and teeth.

((BIG HUGGGIES TO THAT BABY))
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Kudos to you, "Mike"! Dobe looks happy. Don't worry about the weight. It didn't come off overnight and surely won't go back on that way. Sounds like you're getting a lot of advice and support here. You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

By the way, I'm in Virginia... didn't know you were so close.

God bless you!
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

You sound like you are doing as great job.Just remember big dogs are usually quite gentle and it might take time but I am sure if you keep getting them together they will become buddy's. It takes time and patience and you seem to have both. Working with them on neutral territory will make it a lot easier since no one has territory to protect. Also when he gets down (dobie) butt in the air this often is interperted as aggression and 8 out of 10 times he is in play stance on there level. My Mastiff always gets down on front paws ass end in air when he wants to play with the little guys, at first some run but he doesn't chase he lets them come to him and they usually do. Once they realize he is not a threat. So give them lots of time and space and dont rush in to protect the little guys unless there is a sign of danger.