Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Variety question.

Hallo.
I have 2 frenchies and i switched to BARF 3 months ago. I am still searching what is bothering them cause in the begining i made many mistakes. Didnt start with an elimination diet and i was dealing with many allergies. I still do but they are very little.
Well for the moment i only have 2-3 that are ok with them. Will i harm my dogs? We dont have exotic meats here in Cyprus .
The one gets chicken, lamb, rabbit, fish. Alllergies to beef, pork.
The other chicken, beef and fish only for the moment. He is allergic to lamb, rabbit up to know. I am trying prok today so i hope its ok. This is my last option.

Soo, will i harm my dogs with this variety. They are getting rmb, muscle and offal only. No veggies up to know.

BARF SAVED MY DOG
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:22 AM

Can anyone hekp me on this?? I need to know if only 3 meats are ok for variety?
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
-

Sorry ~ missed your post ! What you are doing sounds more than adequate ~ quite luxurious actually ~ as long as they can digest it. Btw ~ my dawgs actually enjoy quite a few fruits and veggies.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Live well, laugh often

3 meats for variety would be fine . It is also important to add some organ meat occassionally. You could also consider adding some eggs for an added protein choice. What about turkey?

I personally think that veggies are a good option with the raw diet. In particular I have a lab that gains weight very easily so I need to keep her calories under control. The veggies add some bulk to her meals.

You also may find that after a few more months you could try some of the meats that were causing some issues. It is possible that some of your early reactions were just a result of the change and after their systems adjust they will be able to eat those problem meats.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM

Thx a lot for your advise.
I am adding eggs and some kelp,alfalfa every now and then.
The only problem i have is paw licking. Allergy definately.
I turned to barf cause of vomiting episodes 2-3 times a day for nearly 2 months. After the switch the vomiting is gone and i am trying an elimination for the paw licking. I am a little bit lost for the moment but i am positive i will find the solution. Just as i did with barf. Every vet thinks am crazy or stupid for doing so.
Weeelll, i hope they are wrong

Thx again
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:05 PM

I thought i spoke too early. I am left with 1-2 meats with each dog. Beef and chicken for the one. And rabbit only for the other. Now i am completely lost. They developed allergy to lamb and pork. I am confused.
Definately one meat wont do.
Any suggestions???
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Hi again and sorry to bother you.
I am back with the elimination diet again. I am feeding whole turkey to try and fight out these red paws. They were licking every night and it was so frastrating.
Any ideas when i am going to see any improvements???? I am on the elimination for 3 days now and i think i have seen a very small improvement. Not sure though but their paws looks a little bit better . Maybe is my imaginations again.
SOO how long do you suggest that i have to be on the elimination diet to start seeing improvements?????