Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM

Home cooking books?

Ok, I know you guys are all experts on raw. I like the idea of raw, and if any of you have followed the health issues my pup had for the first 6 months or so of his life (thank goodness he's getting healthier and healthier every day!) you can understand why I think raw might be really good for him. I'm a bit uneasy just going straight to raw though, as his immune system is still not really up to snuff yet. It's getting better, but he's still a bit weak.

I've noticed that when he gets real food he's much happier, eats better and more consistently than when he has kibble, and he's healthier - better poops, better skin, everything. So far Tommy only gets his kibble and food we give him as we try to figure out all his allergies. He had half a cooked steak last night - without the bone - and LOVED it (and I loved the small, solid poop this morning!). He's had pork too, loved that. Chicken or chicken fat of any kind makes him violently ill. Turkey seems good, though.

So, if not raw, I was thinking of cooking for him now that we have a wider range of foods we know he can tolerate. But I have no idea where to start to make sure he has a balanced diet... everything I've read is confusing, some say he needs veggies some say no, some say carbs are good some say no... I'm lost. I don't even know how much he should eat, he's only about 10.5 pounds at 9 months old.

Can anybody recommend some good books or reliable websites for home cooking? I think raw is the best, but if we're not going raw then I figure home cooking has got to be better than processed doggy food!
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Live well, laugh often

I think that basically using your common sense is the best way. I tried the home cooking thing with Riley but with the volumn of food he needs it just is way to time consuming. I just bought a wack of hamburger and fried it up, drained most of the fat off, then put it into a big post with some sweet potatoes (sliced thin in my food processor) and some other ground up veggies. Added water and cooked for about an hour and then added some canned salmon as well. I would say my ratio was probaly about 60-70% meat and the balance was sweet potato and veggies.

I would also remember to vary the meat sources that you use ie. chicken, turkey, beef, different fishes etc.

He absolutely loved it. I believe that Byrd made a similar recipe for her dog http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38542.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Remembering Lukka

It really is good to hear that Tommy is getting better all the time. I hope home cooking does the trick for him and gets him in tip-top shape.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks, TeriM, that gives me something good to start with!

Anybody know how MUCH food he should be eating? Or should I just feed him what he will eat, and then watch his weight and adjust accordingly?

Lukka'sma, thank you... Tommy is doing GREAT! The only real issues we've had in the last while have been my fault (I didn't realize that there was chicken in some things, and he's definitely allergic to it!). He is healthy and happy these days, and we're just so darn grateful!
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM
Remembering Lukka

A Special Request
Could you ask Tommy to post some pictures of himself on the forum. I truly would love to see him
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Well, my personal choice is a prey model feeding. And i dont feed chicken, so i wouldnt worry about that. have a look here.

http://rawfed.com/myths/feedraw.html

Read through that and the links throughout it.

ps, bones from steaks are not usual advised. They've been cut and can have sharp edges.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:07 PM

My dog had some similar issues during his first year or so and we 'discovered' raw through Dr. Alfred Plechner's books and website (drplechner.com). What a life-saver that was! I highly recommend his book, his site and am grateful for all I've learned from this vet and others (e.g. Jean Dodd, DVM, b-naturals.com, Dr.Billinghurst barfworld.com, etc.).
If you need other resources, send me a private message or post again. I have become a regular web detective in my search for health for my terrier (he's happy and very healthy now... competing in agility and earthdog).
Blessings,
Belinda
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Lukka'sma... Tommy promises to put some pictures up as soon as we finish moving and find the camera... and there will be LOTS, because as of July 1st Tommy will have his own little fenced yard to put his little wading pool in!

Scott_B... thank you! The links are great, tons of info. I have to admit, we're probably going to end up raw. Even with just the supplemental meat I've been giving Tommy there's a huge difference in him! Thanks so much for the info!

Belindaloo... thanks for your links, too. Glad to hear your terrier is healthy now! The more stories like this I hear, the more I really believe processed pet food is just not the healthy option. I keep hearing stories about terriers, too, having problems in their first year - wheatons, jack russells, all kinds of smaller guys. Wonder if there's an issue with their digestive systems? Most of the ones I've been talking to have cleared up well with raw and homecooked diets, too.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Hi again,
I know what you mean about terriers and digestive issues. For my boy it was all a reaction to his vaccinations in his first year. It set off a chain reaction of horrible things for my guy and the vet could only prescribe steroids or antibiotics. When I got him on raw and stopped with the vaccinations he came round and is competing in agility and earthdog now!
And, he loves RAW!
Blessings,
Belinda
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM

BTW, an easy way to start out on a complete raw diet is by ordering from a place like HareToday.com - we just started doing that recently for my pack of 3 dogs and it couldn't be easier to give them a well-balanced meal. Normally I just have my own Westie to deal with but we're staying for a number of months with my elderly mother and my sister - they have a 13 year old bichon and a 5 month bichon-poo so I've got them all on raw now with my guy. The pup took to it right away and I dare say it's clearing up some of the issues with the old dog, too. I needed to find an easy way for them to keep up on the diet, so I started with HareToday for them and they can order online and it's shipped.
There are many options out there these days because more dog owners are experiencing the benefits and health to raw diets. I'm sure your little Tommy will keep getting healthier and stronger with it, too.
Blessings,
Belinda