Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Smile Starting a kitten off right!

Hi there, I don't post around here a whole lot, mostly lurk and read. Anyway, I got a kitten about 5 weeks ago , and decided that Laredo is going to get the best start in life possible. No kibble, that is for sure. He did start off on grain-free canned, and will probably have some in his rotation for good.

About two weeks ago I introduced raw (pre-made) in the form of Primal Raw for Cats. He ate it without a seconds hesitation. He has also had Rad Cat raw, and enjoyed that. He turned his nose up at Raw Advantage (is it the beets??), so *note to self* don't buy a bunch of something he hasn't tried before.

Rad Cat also sells treats in the form of chopped chicken necks. I gave Laredo one, which I had chopped smaller on the advice of the store owner, and he chewed the bone but only swallowed the meat and would spit the bone back out. Is that normal? Is he just going to have to learn what he's supposed to do with bones?

I have been wanting to try Wild Kitty raw, as they advertise that their food has passed rigorous university feed trials and exceeded expectations. They did have a salmonella scare some time back, so none of the local shops that were on their website as retailers still carry it. Has anyone here fed Wild Kitty?

Anyway, just had to brag about my sweet, healthy kitty. With a wholesome, species-appropriate diet, limited vaccines, and the care of a wonderful holistic vet, I anticipate many many wonderful years together.
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not the biggest fan of what you are suggesting so I guess I can only add my congratulations on your litle one. I do make my own food for my cats - post the scare but I never fed them dry food to start with and do on occasion give them semi cooked chicken hearts. I know too much (as a scientist) about the problems that can be caused by raw food (I have treated way too many people with needless illness- kids who say ate raw hamburger or chicken because it was there!) - and cats have even more touchy digestive systems than humans! Thus, I do not feed them raw food except for the occasional mostly cooked chicken hearts.

I do not understand your negative feelings about medicine or vet medicine I should say. I understand your choice and respect it but find it a little hurtful to read your opinions as if everything else was bad which is of course not at all true. I do not believe in extra vaccines but a cat without the proper vaccines is not starting out well.
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM

vaccines

Cyberkitten - you are reading something into my post which isn't there. I didn't say unvaccinated. Laredo will have a limited vaccine schedule as approved by his veterinarian. Rather than revaccinating yearly, he will have titer tests to determine if he still has anti-bodies to particular viruses.
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Learning fast

Just for information, http://www.caberfeidh.com/Titers.htm I found it an interesting read, congratulations on finding a vet you can communicate with. And nice to see you out in the open, now about the pictures
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM

Smile kitten..

I am so grateful to have a vet who I trust implicitely with my animals. I used to go to Banfield, which here in the states is a huge national operation with "cookie cutter" procedures. I'm not going to say they didn't do right by my dogs, but I wanted a more individual approach to my babies' health. I love having a vet who has so many skills at his disposal, including ayurveda, acupuncture, homeopathy, etc.

Kitty is growing like a WEED... I have some pics I need to get scanned. He is truly a beautiful kitty.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry for the misunderstanding! Your post sounded as tho you were against all traditional medicine.

I am glad you are happy with your vet. I too have a wonderful superb vet who really cares about animals. I wish every animal had such great service and care!