Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM

How to find Montreal butchers?

Please, please, please excuse my ignorance We are very interested in doing the raw diet when we get our puppy. How do I go about finding butchers in Montreal? do I just call them up and ask if they have meat to sell me for my dog? is that how we say it (to be politically correct)? can anybody recommend some? we have a car, so we can get around anywhere. thank you!
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Doggie Wench

Hi Brianna079. It's so good to see that you are planning well in advance before getting your dog.

I wouldn't call around local butchers asking for meat "for a dog." You would need to know exactly what you're looking for. Most butchers often have 'scrap' meat such as trimmings, skin, bones, fat etc that are no longer 'fresh' or are non-comestible. This usually gets picked up once a week by re-cycling companies. The butchers have to pay to have this picked up and I'd be afraid if you were given these scraps for your dog. It may very well make him ill. (Just to be sure, I'm not implying all places would sell you this, just be sure you know what you're buying. Where I work, you'd be surprised how many people ask for this scrap meat just so they don't have to pay to feed their pets .)

Once you know exactly what you need, I do know of a poultry place (Fernando's) who's prices are fair. They are located on the corner of Roy and Colonial in the Plateau area. As for organic meats, you may want to try La Boucherie Bio inc. 10210 LaJeunesse, Mtl. The last I checked, they were a wholesaler/distributor but they opened one or two mornings a week for retail costumers. If you plan on buying in large quantities, it might be a good idea to look into distributors (you can probably pick up the meat at their plants) in order to get the best prices.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by luckypenny; June 4th, 2007 at 10:45 AM.