Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Son has new (temporary) pet caterpillar

My four year old found his first caterpillar last night (Friday). He brought him home on a leave and we made a nice home for it in a BIG plastic V8 jug, with some holes and the lid off, we stuck a branch and some leaves in there to simulate its natural habitat. How long can we keep him before we should put him back in its natural habitat. How do they drink water. Will he actually make a cocoon in his jar. My son wants to take him for show and tell on Monday will he last this long.

I remember catching catipillars when I was his age. I remember putting them in jars and poking holes in the lid. I have no idea whatever happened to them. Hopefully my parents set them free.
Old September 17th, 2005, 11:34 AM

My 6 year old does the same thing. We had caterpillars, one legged grasshoppers and frogs. Most of them lasted about a month before I let them go. Mind you this was early summer. I am glad to know that I am not the only Mom who has a zoo in her kitchen.I wiould put fresh leaves in as I believe that is where they get thier water intake from. Good luck I hope he makes it through the weekend.
Old September 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I used to bring home worms till one day I brought home a snake and my nanny flipped out, "It's a SNAKE!" and I dropped it and ran away screaming. I never picked them up again after that...

Get different kinds of leaves. Depending on the species, they usually only like the kind of leaf they were born on.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Well apparently sleepy wasn't doing to well this morning. mY son did drop him a few times on they way home. Even with all the fresh leaves my hubbie said he wasnt moving to much this morning. They stuck him back in our garden hopefully he will revive.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Prin=
Quote:
I used to bring home worms till one day I brought home a snake and my nanny flipped out, "It's a SNAKE!" and I dropped it and ran away screaming. I never picked them up again after that...
My kids bring home worms, we put them straight in our compost, I say thats where we keep our pet worms.

They found a slug and brought it home, then I caught them at the kitchen table putting salt on it (yes I know what it does to slugs). They were seasoning it and saving it for their dad has a snack for when he came home.....I threw it outside they were most upset with me as they had made it especially for their daddy.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM
-

How did they know to put salt on it.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Stacey B =
Quote:
How did they know to put salt on it.
Because they were sitting at the kitchen table the slug was on a plate and the salt shaker was beside it, there was salt spilled on the table, and they told me, they were making it for their dad.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Oops sorry misread your question I thought you said how do you know they put salt on it.

Well my son asked if a few days ago if grownups eat snails. I told him sometimes they do in fancy restraunts and they call it escargo. They asked me if I liked that I said no but your dad likes that kind of thing. They were trying to make a delicacy by flavouring it with salt.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy
Oops sorry misread your question I thought you said how do you know they put salt on it.

Well my son asked if a few days ago if grownups eat snails. I told him sometimes they do in fancy restraunts and they call it escargo. They asked me if I liked that I said no but your dad likes that kind of thing. They were trying to make a delicacy by flavouring it with salt.

LOL this is too funny!!! you threw away the snack!just cos you don't like it it doesn't mean otehrs can't enjoy a snail snack hahah
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Just to let you know sleepy was put back in the garden as he was starting to look to sleepy.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I too brought home caterpillars but my folks made me put therm back so they could become butterflies!!! (Anyone ever read Hope for the Flowers?) - I also brought home a mole once (sighhhhhh!) and collected snakes, the littke green and brown ones. My mom did not mind snakes though but they stayed outside. I still have one who visits every summer - He is called Snavily and I devise stories about him to tell children who are going thru difficult procedures so they can concentrate on Snavily's tribulations and adventures rather than their own. The other day I did a bone marrow extraction while explaining Chelsea, my Sphynx who likes to climb everybody and evrthing's latest adventures. The sleepy child wanted to know more about the cat when she woke up again - I have created another "monster" one might say,