Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 24th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Question cat with gas/loose bowel

My 1-year-old female cat has loose bowel quite often. Sometimes when I pick her up she will also pass gas. When she uses the litter box it smells awful and must be cleaned immediately. She will also “leak” onto the furniture at times. This condition comes and goes for no apparent reason. She had about 2 weeks without it and now it is happening again. She seems happy and is very active.

I have taken her to the vet and they can find nothing wrong. She does not have an infection , they did not find any parasites, they did leukemia test and she is clean. She seems light to me at 6.2 pounds but the vet said she is normal for a Siamese.

I have 3 other cats and a dog and all the other animals are fine.

I only feed her dry food (Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Adult Cat Food). I used to feed her Iams orange dry, but changed when I noticed the diarrhea. (Sometimes I do see her eating the dog's food)

I was thinking maybe she has irritable bowel or something and it can't really be cured. Maybe one of these supplements could help. I was looking into natural cures and found this site:
http://www.nzymes.com/. I also came across Acidophilus Digestive Tract Conditioner - Dog/Puppy and Gas Be Gone by 21st Century for dogs and cats. Anyone familiar with any of these?

Anybody have any natural suggestions?
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Probiotics are a good idea - they sure can't hurt. Try to get a wide spectrum one. Here's an excellent site on all sorts of natural cures for things like IBD etc - it's geared towards dogs but you may get some ideas for your cat:
http://www.bowchow.com/specific.html

Has she had any meds or shots lately that could be contributing?
Oh...and you may want to consider feeding about 25% canned cat food as well...it's better for them, especially if you have males. I believe it prevents formation of kidney stones...or something...?
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:55 PM

I forgot to mention she just loves wheat grass. I grow it for the animals and they all eat it.

I thought it would do them good and they really seem to like it.
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

My little Vinnie when I first got him,used to be a regular"stink-bomb"every time we picked him up,it was like deflating a balloon Pheeeew! and he had loose bowl.
Now on a regular diet of wet and dry food he has no problems..
I too suggest a couple of tablespoons of wet food,twice a day.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator

The little sensitive siamese cat is showing signs of liver congestion: diarrhea, gas, colic.
I suggest:
At the drugstore make the pharmacist prepare the homeopathic complex containing these products:
Arsenicum album 5 CH
China 5 CH
Lycopodium 5CH
Phosphorus 5 CH

You give 3 granules of the complex orally every day to the cat for one month.

The diet should be also improved, go to more natural diet like:
Wellness or EaglePack.

Good luck

Dr.Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
514-334-7280
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM

wheatgrass and loose bowels

I bought wheatgrass for my two indoor cats. They are about 8 months old. They went nuts for it. They even slept on it. Within a week they had softer stools which eventually became full on diarrhea. It was a mess. I thought they were perhaps just discharging toxins, so I didn't limit their wheatgrass intake because I thought it might improve on its own. After another week I couldn't stand it and it didn't get any better so I isolated them and kept them from the wheatgrass. Within 3 days they had normal stools again. I want them to have greens if they are good for them but I don't know if I will try that again. Maybe in smaller doses. But they LOVED it.