Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Angell Woods (Montreal, QC)

It may be a stretch, but I know a lot of us 'locals' have enjoyed taking our dogs to these woods - it's a fabulous place to let them run free The private owners are claiming their rights :

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...296/story.html

The owners have chosen to exercise their right to restrict the public use of their land by putting security guards at some of the entry areas (as of this weekend).

If you have a minute, please sign the petition to try and save the woods :

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ell-woods.html

Marko - if this isn't allowed, feel free to remove

EDITED BY ADMIN - I've restored the post - just Pm me next time first please and it's normally no problem. Thx

Last edited by marko; January 30th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I was there today....and they turned us away....
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I went yesterday and was turned away. Hope they get this rectified soon. Yesterday Zoey and Raggzy were out of control all day...too much energy and NEED to run. Too many excitable dogs in the field so we did not stay long.

Today I went to L'anse a l'Orme and they LOVED it. Only saw three other dogs in a 2h walk. Will definitely be going back there.

Yesterday when I left I did see some people going in so not sure what they "negotiated" or if they just didn't care.

Hope people sign too...will be posting on my FB page too.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Today I went to L'anse a l'Orme and they LOVED it. Only saw three other dogs in a 2h walk. Will definitely be going back there.

Yesterday when I left I did see some people going in so not sure what they "negotiated" or if they just didn't care.

Hope people sign too...will be posting on my FB page too.
I hope something is done too - and have also posted to my FB page.

Is L'anse a l'Orme an off leash area as well? I've never heard of it and am trying to get some information
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Doesn't seem right to me. They don't want it developed, but also don't want anyone bar themselves to enjoy it? Hmmm. One word comes to mind.
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about that. Using private property without permission to walk your dog is something I am careful not to do.

It is a particular peeve for me since I lost permission from one of the three neighbours who let me cross their property because some idiot was snowshoeing up to their barn and all around it. It wasn't me, but someone who followed my trails but went further and made their own. Of course this would be the middle of the three properties so now I am forced out once again onto the snowmobile trail.

A similar thing happened when I asked permission to ski a local golf course in winter, which would have been the fourth property owner in a row with the three above. Access was denied because the owner felt snowmobiles would follow my tracks and damage the greens. They would too, it's happened before.

In Canada we have private property and property owners have the right to say who uses their property. I've worked with our provincial, Ontario, Trespass to Property Act and it's very difficult for the property owners to exercise their rights when illegal use occurs. In one case near me a moron of a woman followed other illegal users in walking her dog and was scared almost to death when shots went off during hunting season. She made a fool of herself by complaining. She had no idea which municipality the property was in, or who owned it. She just went and possibly endangered her life and that of her kids and dog. She did not even know it was deer season and did not wear blaze orange. Kind of begs the jumping off a cliff question I think.

Sorry, I think preserving green space is admirable but I think you have no right to expect to keep using that property. Perhaps a fund raiser to buy it would be in order?