Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Non-Stop Barking When Sees Other Dogs

My dog is 2 years old, a poodle-yorkie mix, about 8.5 lbs. She adorable, intelligent, relatively obedient... But when she sees other dogs she goes crazyyy barking -- she stops when they get close enough to sniff -- sniffs -- then freaks on them when she feels they have sniffed too long (no biting, but angry barks).

It's so frustrating because she barks whenever she sees a dog. She can't handle the dog park, even just as a place to walk around the perimeter off-leash, because she needs to shout at all the dogs around her.

Does anyone have advice on at least getting her to stop barking in the street?? I've tried clicking and choke collaring and just twitching the leash every time she barks, and I've tried making her sit while the dogs pass, and none of it woooorks!
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Would you be able to try an exercise like this:

http://www.cappdt.ca/public/jpage/1/...tem/content.do

It's from this topic:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69268
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM

thanks, I looked through the threads, but the meaning of "napoleon syndrome" didn't occur to me.. I'll try this today. But interestingly, the linked article says these dogs usually react much better off leash, whereas Maschka yells at everyone all the time, unless she meets them individually on her own territory. I'm interested to see whether this is just a quirk to her "syndrome," or whether she has a slightly different anxiety going on!

Also, side point, but might enlighten someone who's dog-savvier than I am --

Today's afternoon walk (longest of the day), when she barked too much at dogs, I lifted up her back end by putting my foot under her tummy. It shut her up. Huh? lol..
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I have discovered a trick that has helped Buster a few times...Normally when he starts his barking I try and correct or distract or do something...anything LOL

What I have been doing is joining the other dog and owner in a walk. Of course you need cooperative owners to do this....but when I approach, they keep walking with their dog, I catch up to them and we walk...by then Buster is focused on "walking" and not barking. As long as the other dog doesn't react, we do quite well. Once Buster has settled into a nice walk, the dogs are allowed to sniff and meet. It helps if Buster has already had a good 15-20 minute before so some of his energy has been exhausted.

Not sure if I explained that right...... but hope it helps.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM

I have the same problem with my dog. He starts wimpering when the dog walks away from him. Maybe I'm not exposing him to other dogs enough. I try to take him the dog park every week.
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

i use a whistle, min pins love to bark , they stop in there tracks, thanks cesar!!! brenda and the pins

Last edited by the gang; April 14th, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: mistake
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Finding what will distract the dog and snap it out of the barking fit is very effective, also ongoing socialization will help. I found the Gentle Leader or Halti (nose harness) very effective in calming my dog around others. After about 6 months I never had to use it anymore!

Tags
training