Old December 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM
banned user

Sad

I wanted to put my 13 year old dog down but, when I looked at him he gave me this look that said mommy please I am not ready. Here is the issue he is wearing pullups (I have two dogs). Now what he does is either when excited, loses balance (bad leg) or just because he poo. What is annoying is that when we go for walks he may not poo so I put on and somethimes I do not and then he poo on carpet, to make matters worse I have left both outside for hours and as soon as he comes in on goes pullup and he poo. Now he is drinking lots of water and becoming thinner but not throwing up I am lost. I have tried everything in fact this morning before we went for our walk he pooed again in pull up any sugggestion would be wonderful
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

maybe try walking the dog 20 minutes or so after eating, they often have to go around that time.

For the drinking lots of water and getting thinner....these are signs of a problem and this dog should see a vet.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Marko that this old pup needs to see a vet. With my old girl, the fact that she was pooping inappropriately was a sign that advanced arthritis was affecting her ability to control her bowels. This could be an issue for your boy. For a while we had our girl on pills to help with the pain swelling in her spine that was causing this issue. Ultimately though we had to make the decision to have her PTS. It is never an easy choice to make, but sometimes it is in the best interest of your pet. You really do need to seek the help of a professional on this. Best of luck to you and your sweet boy. He knows you love him no matter what decision you make.
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I agree with Marko that this old pup needs to see a vet. With my old girl, the fact that she was pooping inappropriately was a sign that advanced arthritis was affecting her ability to control her bowels. This could be an issue for your boy. For a while we had our girl on pills to help with the pain swelling in her spine that was causing this issue. Ultimately though we had to make the decision to have her PTS. It is never an easy choice to make, but sometimes it is in the best interest of your pet. You really do need to seek the help of a professional on this. Best of luck to you and your sweet boy. He knows you love him no matter what decision you make.
This happen to my last he had advanced arthritis and he pooped in my bed. I did not get upset with Finlay as I knew he could not help it. It is so hard to watch a beloved pet get old and sick , I told Finlay not to get old but that did not help.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Chiming in to agree that your pooch needs to see the Vet. My old girl developed fecal incontinence. It was pretty easy to handle, literally, just pick them up and put them outside, no need for panties. Unless your boy is urinary incontinent as well? Or his stools are loose?

With our girl her problem was Invertebral Disk Disease and Significant Spinal Spondylosis. We found out (X-ray) when she was 12 and a half and she lived to 14 and a half. If your boy has something like this you need to know so you can handle him properly. Not knowing, you could inadvertently do something to make him worse. Please see your Vet.