Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Thumbs up Returning after a year

Hello again!

I found your site a little over a year ago, when my beloved Puss was having health issues (fungus infection in her spine). It was tremendously helpful to come here and "talk" to other fur-folks.

We went through a lot, she and our family with her ... In the end, we lost her, but she, and we, had a whole "extra" good year together. We had to put her down July 4th'08. Her illness had deteriorated 6 inches of her back, from her neck to mid-back, and her discs were all fused in the area. Puss was 10 years old.

So, we now have brought a new kitten into our family. Not to replace Puss, cause no one could, but to share the "kitty-love" we all have in our house!

My boys (10&12) have named her "cookie" ... and they're having a great time bonding with her. This is their first kitten - Puss was already 1 when we got her.

I haven't lived more than 3 weeks in my entire life without a cat (42.75yrs!), however, it's been at least fifteen years since I had a "baby" to train!

I hope y'all will help with some of the exciting and frustrating kitten hurdles to come! Once I re-educate myself on "how to", I'll send along Cookie's pic.
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry to hear about Puss. I remember what a struggle you were having with her illness. :sad:

Puss

But a new kitten! How exciting! I'm looking forward to pictures of your new little darling. And may you have at least twice as many years with Cookie as you did with your beloved Puss

Welcome back!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
-

I'm very sorry about Puss

Good for you for adopting another kitty
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I would also like to add my condolences on the passing of Puss. You gave it a good fight, that's for sure! Now she's fungus-free and feeling frisky again.

Congratulations on adding Cookie to your family. Pictures are definitely called for! Maybe you can also share some pics of Puss, if that's okay.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about Puss.

A kitten, eh? Your children will have fun and keep the kitten tired.

As for training, consistency, consistency, consistency. When I am training my fosters, they are not allowed to bite hands or feet, nobody is allowed to wiggle fingers or toes. I will take my hand away and get a toy to redirect their attention to it.

I also continuously show them to scratch the scratching post and as soon as they try furniture, they are picked up and taken to the closest scratching post.

As for curtains, I only have one pair in my house and they are taken down when there are kittens in the house, haven't been able to stop them from climbing them

Of course lots and lots of love and cuddling

And finally, I would like to add that feeding raw to my foster kittens have led to them have far superior muscle mass than any kitten not fed raw, to the point when my last fosters went to be altered, the vet made a comment on their wonderful health and strength. My current fosters, who are feral and I have had since Sunday, spent three weeks in a shelter where they were fed cheap corn filled food, after five days of raw I have noticed a HUGE difference in their muscle mass and coats. I feed them Nature's Variety and Pawsitively-raw.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear about Puss...
Hope you are having lot's of fun with the kitten...look forward to pictures.