Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Snapping Turtle Syndrome

What is the most effective way to teach young puppies that play time does not mean biting everything and anything in sight! Hunter, not feeling sick at all and being off his meds, is like Pac Man around the house. He chases the cats (snapping all the way), bites me everywhere despite my repeated "No!" and giving him a chew toy is difficult because he prefers to gnaw at your hands or your feet while you are trying to show him what to bite on.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

lol.... I love the pac man comment...

my 2 cents, or whatever it's worth..... I found "No" didn't do anything. It didn't teach my pup anything, except maybe that it's his name when mommy is crabby...

When Tucker chewed a toy and not ME, he got a treat (I'm talking a TEENY TINY SMIDGET of a training treat). If he chewed me, I yelped OOOUCH! (loudly), got up, and left the room. 5 min or so later, I'd go back to play w/ him. forgive & forget, and try again. Redirect to a toy, and reward. I think I lost 3lbs from just getting up & leaving the room when he was nippy.

I also have 2 cats, I NEVER allowed any chasing, nipping, or rough-housing w/ the cats. never. I used a spray bottle for that one. Tucker learned real fast that chasing & nipping our kitties = squirted puppy.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM

thanks! I have noticed that when I react with "OW!" it seems more effective.... I've tried rewarding him with more play time when he bites on the right things, and saying "good boy" but maybe a treat will be more effective. At least when he chases the cats and I call him he responds to me. I'll definately take you up on your idea.

Although at 6 months pregnant I'm not leaving the room every time he bites me. I'm sorry, I've worked real hard to gain my 12 lbs and I'm not letting them go! I'm struggling to walk at this point.... maybe just ignoring him? I'll figure something out. Thanks!

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass1129
Although at 6 months pregnant I'm not leaving the room every time he bites me. I'm sorry, I've worked real hard to gain my 12 lbs and I'm not letting them go! I'm struggling to walk at this point.... maybe just ignoring him? I'll figure something out. Thanks!
congrats! yeah, I can see how that would make it difficult to get up and leave the room! I think ignoring works, but it does take time. Just refuse to give any attention for a few minutes - look away (no eye contact) and I found folding my arms got my point across a bit more. (also kept my hands out of nipping reach!)

In the puppy class I took w/ my guy when he was young, the trainer suggested using the crate as a "time out" for those times when the pup was "off the wall nippy". sometimes they just get overly excited during play and ignoring doesn't help matters. If you use a crate, ever so gently scoop the pup up, and place him in the crate for about 2-3min. don't say anything to him. this isn't any "punishment" it's just to get him to calm down a bit, which is why it's important to gently scoop (lovingly) and don't say anything. be calm and when you let him out, be happy as usual. this worked well w/ my pup, and to this day, LOVES his crate. just another option to try if the ignoring isn't working.

for training treats (if you choose to use treats), I used (and still use) Solid Gold "jerky". They make a lamb one which I used when my guy was just a wee thing. They are soft squares - which are VERY EASY to break into small pieces. A bag is a bit pricey ($10-$15) BUT lasts a LONG time. I'd break these into teeny pieces and reward when my pup was chewing a toy and not my hands, pants, shoes, arms, etc...

good luck!