Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
There are also natural forms of stimulants like ma huang and garcinia cambodgia (sp?) Ma huang claims to give the "boost" but not the raciness felt with ephedrine.
from what i understood, ma huang is the predecesor to ephedrine. before ephedrine was declared 'bad' for you, ma huang was the big the no-no.

the fact is that ma huang IS natural but must be taken in moderation. i think that is the point of all these supplements. if you read the labels to all of these supplements, they read take 2 before every meal etc. well, i took a supplement that was ephedra free. i took ONE pill (directions read 2 before each meal) and i was so hyper and spazzy that it scared me. then i crashed so bad that i slept for 18 hours straight!

it's like kava. it is a natural herbal remedy for sleeplessness and stress. it is derived from a pepper root. taken too frequently and too much, it can harm your liver. but then again, the same drug that is prescribed by a psychiatrist has the same long term effects only they are manufactured in companies. and i claim have long term effects on your brain! so i can get valium from my doctor like crazy but the FDA removed Kava from the store shelves...go figure.

heh, i feel like i'm in a support group here. Hi, my name is sujean and i have been trying to lose weight for 30 years now...

HEIDI: what colon cleanser do you use and where do you get it from? i heard that is the newest greatest thing to do...in fact, you can go to clinics in california and have a procedure done...same place you get a msasage done. heh, what's next...i need my lungs cleaned out...
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM

LOL Suejean

I have tried the colon cleanser and it does make you feel really good when you are done. You can get the colon cleanser from the same place the Extreme Power Plus comes from and it does work. I just found that the recommended dosage was too high for me and I only took half the recommended daily dose and it worked really well. I was told by my physician that using a colon cleanser before any diet plan will boost how much you lose because once your colon is clean and can absorb the nutrients from the food you get the full feeling sooner therefore making you eat less.

I can give the link for both products on here if you like. One note of caution, the Extreme Power Plus used to have ephedera but has since been changed with all the problems ephedera caused.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will be happy to post the link.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not keen on colon cleansers because they take out the good with the bad. That said, if you really want one, why spend money! Get a colonoscopy at the hospital and you will have to take the medication first! Colon cleaning was a procedure that was thought to be useful in the thirties and some marketing "genuis" has now come along and reintroduced it. (Mind you, in the thirties, you;d have to go to an institution to have it. Kellogg's in fact operated one in Battle Creek, Michigan - I visited the museum, served on a Board for a while where we re'd mega donations from Kelloggs- their Foundation supports family medicine in a big way)

The problem with the procedure is that it has no long term effects. Movei stars and gymnists - people who need to look skinny and almost anerexic - have them regularly but they delude themselves into thinking their is some clinical value. There isn't.

Now, unless you have an ulcer or some gasterentelogical medical problem, it may be of clinical value but otherwise, it is a waste of time and money imho. (It is rather akin to these terndy O2 bars, sigh)
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
Now, unless you have an ulcer or some gasterentelogical medical problem, it may be of clinical value but otherwise, it is a waste of time and money imho. (It is rather akin to these terndy O2 bars, sigh)
ooh, i do have an ulcer! i just developed one last week!. it has been a pretty miserable experience...i'm not sure what the normal symptoms are but i had pain so bad that i wouldn't be able to breathe. doctor didn't seem all that concerned though.

DOGUELOVER: please post the information. i'm not sure where you are located, but i am in the states. i would definately like to read up on this colon cleanser!

thanks!
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I've got an old power washer in the garage...