Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old March 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Exclamation Help urgently needed in the QC/ON area for 3 week old puppies

Got a call today from a lady whose 10 month old Rott X Collie female decided she did not want to be a mommy anymore (probably wants to be a happy young dog again...) and stopped nursing her 3 week old puppies. The lady says she cannot care for the pups and so they must go NOW.

Unfortunately, we are more than full at the moment and cannot take the pups. We are trying to find responsible homes who could take at least 2-3 puppies so they remain with part of the litter and foster them until they are 8 weeks old. The puppies have started to eat moistened food and will require someone who is home all day to feed them regularly. All pups will have to remain into foster until they are 8 weeks when they will receive basic immunization and will go through pediatric spaying/neutering prior to being adopted.

If anyone feels like caring for wee babies for a little more than a month, please pm me for details.

These puppies urgently need help !!!
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

If anyone is kind enough to help fix this mess, I hope they do it only on the condition that this ninny gets her dog spayed.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

The appointment has been made already and we will pick the dog up ourselves if need be... we've always made it a condition... and you know what, the lady first wanted me to give her 50 $ for the puppies...

(I mean, did I miss something there ??? )
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,the people you have to deal with,how do you keep from blowing up in their faces,then again,your biggest concern is probably with the animals,not the morons
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and you know what, the lady first wanted me to give her 50 $ for the puppies
OH, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Chico, it takes all our control to have to be civil to these people in order to get the animals away from them. I feel like blowing them away.
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:59 PM

That's so sad... I live all the way in Toronto, I really wish I could help, unfortunately I don't drive. :sad:

How many puppies are there?
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:03 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

11 more puppies to find homes for...
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM

Any males? Any idea how big they will be? What was the father? My husband will kill me but we have a soft spot for runts. We would definitely need a male though.
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM

That's terrible, poor little guys.

I hope they find somewhere very soon.
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM
-

omg,11 puppies...I'm so sorry for them.Shame on that woman.
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM

Poor puppies. I can't imagine coming into the world without a chance like that (until they met you rescuers, of course). I hope these guys make it.
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:09 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine14
Any males? Any idea how big they will be? What was the father? My husband will kill me but we have a soft spot for runts. We would definitely need a male though.
I haven't seen the pups yet, but amongst 11, there must be a male in there... we have no idea what the father is, but they will be big dogs.

However, these puppies cannot be separated for the moment. They must remain with the rest of the litter for a few more weeks as they are learning canine language which is crucial to their development. We must find foster homes as they have nowhere to go and are still with the mommy's owner.
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Do they have a place to go when they reach 8 weeks?

I'll send this around to a few people.
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
Do they have a place to go when they reach 8 weeks?

I'll send this around to a few people.
Hopefully when they are 8 weeks we should have a spot for them.
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM

Are they cute puppies? (lol) If they're cute, there should be a lot of biters... Maybe we should emphasize the cuteness of puppies...
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Are they cute puppies? (lol) If they're cute, there should be a lot of biters... Maybe we should emphasize the cuteness of puppies...
Just my luck, after having such a hard time getting my other litter of black pups adopted (still two to go !), these too are black & white or black & tan...

But I'm sure they are soooo cute. Just like the others... there just are too many...

I promise I'll take pictures... however, if I go and see them, the lady will expect me to leave with them, and, well, I absolutely do not have the space ! What a nightmare...
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness
However, these puppies cannot be separated for the moment. They must remain with the rest of the litter for a few more weeks as they are learning canine language which is crucial to their development. We must find foster homes as they have nowhere to go and are still with the mommy's owner.
I meant that I could foster a pup; but with four big dogs already, I could only take one and I understand that you would rather they stay together.

I'm sure they'll go like hotcakes.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Inverness big hug for you. I am sorry because I am not working right now and decided to paint so no way I can have pups here now. But if I can get this finished soon I will pm you and maybe I can take some. I will keep watching to see how you are doing. Thank godness we don't carry guns because these are the people you want to use them on so ignorant. I can't believe she wanted 50 from you well yes I can. PS I am in Toronto
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Owned by Saints

I have been seriously interested in fostering for a looong time. But I was always worried about my cats with strange dogs. lol But since these guys are just little that wouldn't be a worry for me. I'll have to talk to my hubby and see what he thinks. I'm not working right now, so I'm home all day bored out of my mind anyway.

I may be a tad far though.. about 2 or so hours from Toronto. But I could probably take 3 or possibly 4 if you don't mind me being so far away.

I'll talk to hubby when he gets home from work tonight and see what he thinks..
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Coopers mom

are these guys big enough to defend them selve against my overly playfull one????

if so i can work on the bf to take a couple off work for another 3 weeks (that would bring the pups to 6 weeks)
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
are these guys big enough to defend them selve against my overly playfull one????
These babies are 3 weeks old and completely defenseless and helpless. You would need to keep them separated from your dog for sure.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

This post is so maddening.. I've got a housefull right now and nowhere to put any to help and yippie, here comes puppy season...

I'm trying to think of some solution but nothing is coming to mind..
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am afraid to ask, if the mother dog isn't nursing them what are the pups eating?

I would also like to know, how often do pups need to be fed?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne
I have been seriously interested in fostering for a looong time. But I was always worried about my cats with strange dogs. lol But since these guys are just little that wouldn't be a worry for me. I'll have to talk to my hubby and see what he thinks. I'm not working right now, so I'm home all day bored out of my mind anyway.

I may be a tad far though.. about 2 or so hours from Toronto. But I could probably take 3 or possibly 4 if you don't mind me being so far away.

I'll talk to hubby when he gets home from work tonight and see what he thinks..
Thanks for trying RaYne, I'll be looking forward to hearing what your husband says.

However, being so far away, we would probably have to try and find adopters in your area.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie79

if so i can work on the bf to take a couple off work for another 3 weeks (that would bring the pups to 6 weeks)
Like LR said, the pups are tiny at the moment and your Schnauzer could hurt them, intentionnaly or not. You'd have to keep them in a separate room.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
I am afraid to ask, if the mother dog isn't nursing them what are the pups eating?

I would also like to know, how often do pups need to be fed?
The owner told me she was feeding them Pablum. We advised that she puts puppy food in a blender, then add water and feed them the mixture. In a week or so, they will be able to eat the kibble, only moistened with warm water. At the moment, the pups need to be fed every 3-4 hours or so.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Owned by Saints

I spoke with my hubby and he is ok with it. Only problem is he's been working 6 days a week and isnt too keen on a long drive on his only day off. If you can't find anyone closer maybe we could arrange something? Meeting somewhere or transport.

I'd have no problem keeping them a bit longer if necessary and helping screen potential adopters in my area.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

I'll PM you RaYne.
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

We have finally been able to find a foster home for all our puppies who will be transfered to a rescue group in Ontario. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I should be able to post pics of the pups before they leave !
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Oh! Great News Inverness! They're now safe