Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Coopers mom

Lightbulb Brushing the teeth or visit to the dentist?

I just want to inform people,
I know with my parents mini schnauzers both had/have bad teeth and had dental surgery and cleaning over 300$. brushing should start at 6 months i should hop on it i admit i haven't yet.
when we talked to the breeder she said that if you give the dogs filtered water or brita water theey don't get plaque(?)
she showed us verda's teeth (coopers mom) who is the same age as austin 3 1/2 who just had his trip to the puppy dentist and her teeth are puppy white.
she also said she never brushes.

lucky for us we use a brita ourselves and have since day one before knowing this turn around and fill his bowl when we get our water.

so the secret to clean white teeth and to avoid dentist bills is filtered water, wonder if it works on humans too!!!!

I love me breeder, can call her any time and she knows the answers
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I personally doubt filtered water makes any difference, I tyhink diligence with brushing the dogs teeth and a good diet make the difference.

I do sams teeth daily.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:37 AM

I have to agree with Eleni, I'm not sure if I believe that filtered water prevents tarter buildup. For some reason, some dogs are more prone to tarter on their teeth than others. Our cockapoo has never needed his teeth cleaned. Our late maltese x on the other hand had to have hers done on a couple of occasions. My beagle has just had hers done recently, and yes, it is expensive!

Some people say that dry food and hard biscuits help, but I believe that to be false. My beagle has only eaten dry food for most of her life and she still had tarter build up.

The best prevention, brushing your dog's teeth just like people brush theirs. I now brush Misty's teeth and she loves the taste of her beef flavoured toothpaste!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Living in Chaos!

Our vet recommended that we purchase a doggy toothbrush & doggy toothpaste for Sam. It would save us money in the long run by not having to take Sam in for dental surgery. Not to mention Sam's surgery discomfort.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001 to 06/14/2014
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:48 AM

I thnk a really good dog food is the best way to keep the teeth clean.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:09 AM

I keep Levi's teeth clean by brushing them and giving him big hard bones. A vet once told me that bones are really good for their teeth.

I have to agree with everyone about the filtered water thing. I don't think brita water would do anything. I've always given my cats brita water (just because the fridge is closer than the sink) and both of the cats don't have white, white teeth.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

When it comes to health issues, please take your vet's advice and NOT some breeder's.

The amount of plaque on an animal's teeth is related to heredity and care, and not filtered water.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
banned user

I know Lucky! I agree!

I can't believe the breeder told you that! That is absurd!

Bones and food are both very important in keeping a dogs teeth clean but the ONLY way to avoid dental surgery or cleanings with the vet is to BRUSH your dogs teeth. Recommended brushing is three times a day- I must admit I do it once a day- at night, SOMETIMES twice. After dealing with dental problems with my late poodle Suzy (she hated when I brushed her teeth). By the time I was old enough to know that was important she would FLIP whenever I tried to brush them. I got her used to it, but it was already too late- she had to go under for a cleaning.

However, I swore then never to ignore my pets teeth- and I started brushing my APBT's teeth once his adult teeth came in. He actually likes it now... I say "Wanna brush your teeth" and he runs to the cabinet that holds his brush and paste. I sing a brushing song, get all angles... then I do a "YAY GOOD BOY!!!" Jump up and down like an idiot... do a "Max brushed his teeth" twirl dance, give a hard biscuit to reward him and then it's into the bathroom to wipe up the inside of his ears. Then another biscuit, a few more dances and singing... then bed. It's our nightly routine. lol!!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:20 PM
owned by Tucker

My daughter brushes Tuckers teeth and has since he was a pup, he is also a chewer so I don't think he will have too many problems. My dental Hygentest (spelling?) scales her dogs teeth as well, I can't see myself doing that.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Agility Addict

My Mum went to a local pet store and calls me after to tell me that she has found the solution to Dodger's tartar/plaque build-up.

I have been brushing his teeth but to no avail (I obviously didn't start early enough).

So, she bought a $30 Pet Oral Hygiene Solution that claims to cause plaque to fall off the teeth within 30 days. Of course, you need to either have filtered water or let the water stand overnight so that it doens't deactivate whatever is suppose to remove the plaque.

She refused to return it and instead goes out a buys a brita so that Dodger's teeth can be white!! I'm hardly convinced but I will humour her - and if I does work I will be quite greatful!
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

OH good. I drink Brita filtered water, so I guess that means I don't need to go to the dentist or brush my teeth anymore. Yay!
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM
banned user

lol!!! Well I guess it's worth a shot... but just the water type alone won't make a difference. I only gave Suzy filtered water- because she was my little princess but she still got plaque. Try out some dentabones or something similar. At least it will help a bit. And of course... try making tooth brushing time fun, with some dances and songs LOL!! (I'm ) If they get praised a lot they will think it's pleasing you and then be happier to do it.

I used to CHASE Suzy around, lock the bedroom door so she couldn't run and hide. She HATED to brush her teeth. Now Max starts doing a little hop when I dance around that he's getting his teeth brushed... he loves it now- it's hysterical. People come over and say "Christina, brush his teeth- I want to see how excited he gets". It's funny.
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM

OMG! I read on another board how someone uses Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygene Solution to keep prevent tartar and helps with her dog's breath. So i went on their site http://www.oxyfreshww.com/pet/default.asp and there is no way in hell i would ever be convinced enough to use that on my dog! Come on, those people also sell weight loss products (talk about jumping on a money making bandwagon)! These are the ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua), Oxygene® (Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide), Zinc Acetate, Sodium Citrate, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid. Does this sound like a good idea to anybody?
I don't believe in any gimmicks. I just use the good ol doggy tooth brush and tooth paste, and get at it. They don't like it, but i am hoping they will get used to it. I only do it once at night, and have 4 sets of teeth to brush before bedtime. The joys.
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I hate to sound cranky today (it IS Friday after all and the weather is actually nice- just a bit of rain, lol) but there is absolutely no truth in the claim that brita or filtered water is better for brushing your teeth. If you read any of the research about bottled water in fact, not all of it has all the nutrients and low sodium content it claims.

I brush my cat's (and my) teeth with regular tap water - she is young mind you but no denbtal probs yet. I also asked the head of the Pediatric Dental Association. He laughed quite heartily - saying "don't tell me you are taking something you read online seriously again, lol). He has a point.

It is how we brush our and our pets' teeth and with what that is important, NOT with what water. Then there is the flouride debate f one really likes wacky conspiracy type ideas, lol

Anyway, thx for the bit of comic relief.