Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Patience Pays Off!

I was just watching Nino playing in the kitchen and thinking how patience with our critters really pays off! We've had him for 3 years plus a bit now and he's gone from a cat who couldn't stand being petted for more than a few strokes before trying to bite to a cat who loves it. If anybody else walked past him, he'd hiss and smack the other cat. I swear he didn't know how to play. He still doesn't really like to play with the other guys, Noella is a bit too much in your face playing wise for him but they can touch noses now. He can share the food dish and eat with everybody else. He loves playing grab the hand under the covers. I think he's finally realized nobody yells at him, smacks him or anything else his former people may have done to him.

I get soo frustrated when I read oh it's been a week and he's still peeing, pooping, biting, hiding etc. Doesn't matter if it's a dog or a cat. Or it's the 'we tried everything!' how about a little patience!! Bayley was a landshark puppy but I just kept working at it and ya I got bloodied a few times, but it doesn't take much with puppy teeth. I was so happy when her adult teeth started coming in!

People need to slow down with their critters, most things worth fixing aren't a quick fix. Okay rant finished!!
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:14 PM

I hear ya! I also completely agree.

My dog Susie thankfully has no real behavior issues but her training has taken time and reinforcement, patience is key. I also have a Shih Tzu mix named Wikket and wondered if he'd ever stop peeing on the kitchen floor and pooping in the back room(both were bare floors so I just cleaned and sighed). For the last 2 weeks Wikket hasn't done his business in the house even once - I'm so pleased!

Keep your temper, just love them and keep trying.
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Willing cat servant

I wish more people would realize that. Even people of a relative good nature that want to help don't realize these things take time and most importantly some effort.
Thank you for being understanding and considered wih our furry friends.
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Pattymac, this post has really made my day. I am so thankful that you didn't give up on Nino. You've done a fabulous job with this gorgeous boy and I totally agree with what you wrote also.

Thank you again for adopting him and giving him such a loving, caring home.
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh and I'm so glad you put his picture here or I never would've known about him! He's a very special kitty! I think he still gets a bit embarrassed when he plays It's almost like he really gets into it and then goes OOPS, but it's easier to get him into it. He is the worst mooch though when it comes to chicken!! he loves his chicken!
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks for sharing that and for being so patient pattymac!

When we adopted (passed away a few years ago) Zak, it took him about 2 years before he would snuggle up to us. I could not pick him up for more than 5 seconds at the beginning - but after a few months I was able to pick up and cuddle that fluffball bigtime.

My current cat Twiggy will snuggle up next to an ax murderer, she's so affectionate -
Like us, cats have personalities. But UNlike us, their personalities seem to change for the better when they live in a warm, loving home (with people that take an active interest in their well being).
In my experience most shy cats become less shy and more affectionate/friendly over time.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Kitty pimp

how to get "feral" cats to like you

HOW did you do that ? sat here twice a day and fed them very day wind rain shine or snow after about 6 months they decided i was a friend and the mom is now a wonderful house kitty