Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM

New puppy training tips?

Hi everyone. We just brought home our first puppy 3 days ago. His name is Dewey and he's a Cockapoo. He's been really great and already has learned to poo and pee in the backyard. He's also seemingly comfortable in his crate too.

There are a few problems though and I was wondering how I should approach them:

1. He doesn't really like any of us pet him. When we reach to pet him, he backs away. This is a bit strange considering the second problem.

2. Lots of separation anxiety. He follows us everywhere around the house. And if we leave him in a room alone where he can't get out he'll cry and bark and howl. Same thing if we leave the house with him in his crate.

I know it's only been 3 days, but I just would like to know how to approach these problems.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old December 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Master of the Drool!

Awww he is adorable!!! It will all come in time. Remeber he is missing his family, He will come around. Let him come to you. Good Luck and Merry Christmas
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my gosh, look at that face!!! What a cutie-pie. There's a good site here with tons of info on various puppy-related issues that you might find useful: http://www.dogstardaily.com/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

only little peice of advice i would give is, if you reach your hand out to him, put it lower than his head, and let him come to you to sniff it. Don't put it above his head as in to pat the top of his head. It will come in time as M&M said. He is very adorable by the way.
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks everyone, and yeah he is a beautiful looking pup. He was the runt of the litter and we fell in love immediately.

We're only concerned because in less than 3 weeks there won't be anyone home during work hours and I'm afraid that he'll bark all day long. I don't want him to get stressed out and hurt himself.
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
border collie mama

what a cutie!

when your going to pet him, keep your hand low and dont reach it ouy to him. also, dont try to pat the top of his head right now this scares some dogs but when he comes to trust you more, he shouldnt have a problem with it.

as for the crate, build up the amount of time he is in there. also put a safe toy in there, try a kong filled with peanut butter, it will keep him busy and he will love it. Also try to get in a good walk before he is put in his crate, to tire him out so he will just sleep the time he is in there.

hope this helps.